Congratulations To Luke

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Like Kerren, I won NOTHING, apart from cross-bugles/(trumpets), and cross-rifles on my CCF uniform. Probably because I was too outspoken and too much of a rebel for CH taste.

Like DBTS, I have several of my Grand-Fathers prize books, embossed with the gold CH crest, dating from around the same time, wrapped and sealed away in the loft. Several years ago, I was offered big-ish money by a dealer for them, but decided to keep them and pass them down to Grand-Children when the time comes, (hopefully NOT in the near future !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Isn't it funny how it still rankles 40 years on?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Isn't it funny how it still rankles 40 years on?
Not really, Mary ! I was just stating a fact. Like most, I despised the school system of CH for years after leaving. It's only in this present day and age when I see SOME of the youngsters of today that I realise just how MUCH CH taught me !
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Ok well all I have is a yellow P posture badge and my leaving CHOGA badge (paid for and ergo not a prize), the only other thing (other than the bible) was a book of piano music from Mrs Whiting.....

so, even after 2 years as Pav girl i still got nothing!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Happy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Happy »

Just taken a gander at the list - Anyone remember Maggie Williams? I think it is great that they have some award named for her. I presume the Maggie Williams Cup is given for being a real sporty bod?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

darthmaul wrote:I'm going to go reckless with my book tokens...

It's nice to be recognised by the school, even though we may not know what the Worshipful Company of Carmen prize is. I hope that no one who received one failed to realise, even if it was in a very small way, that the school is proud of them.

And this prize-giving in general sounds like it was a bigger deal, 'back in the day'.
I got that prize - I think it's for being a 'good egg' or something
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:
darthmaul wrote:I'm going to go reckless with my book tokens...

It's nice to be recognised by the school, even though we may not know what the Worshipful Company of Carmen prize is. I hope that no one who received one failed to realise, even if it was in a very small way, that the school is proud of them.

And this prize-giving in general sounds like it was a bigger deal, 'back in the day'.
I got that prize - I think it's for being a 'good egg' or something
Not nepotism, then ?
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

J R - please keep your smuttiness out of here! tut tut

I never received any book token to go rashly into a bookstore - although they make very good gifts up to the age of 16, after that they are looked at with a bemused look of "why?" . When my offspring were young it was wonderful to go to buy books - a habit my son has still not grown out of at 21, he spends rashly, reads dashly fast, then comes to me to see if I have bought any new books.... I now go to the library, or hunt through the charity shops - to us books are sacrilige and NEVER GET THROWN OUT... the consequences of such are we have rather a lot of books, and insufficient number of bookcases! But, reading improves the mind, (unless it's Mills and Boon!!)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Quite agree with you about Mills & Boon. What a load of hogwash. Nearly as bad as Barbara Cartland, not that I've read any of them that is.

Read a Jackie Collins the other day, just for the experience, you understand. About as erotic as a limp salad. Think I'll stick to the, 'Sent in a Plain Brown Wrapper' variety !
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:Quite agree with you about Mills & Boon. What a load of hogwash. Nearly as bad as Barbara Cartland, not that I've read any of them that is.
Just as a matter of interest, her nephew (I think), Jeremy Cartland, used to teach me English before I went to C.H.

Some of you may remember the Cartland murder case in the early '70s (Jeremy and his father were on holiday in France - the story is that they were attacked, Jeremy was injured and his father killed).

There was a load of press coverage at the time. Did they have a fight? Was a 3rd. party responsible?

Not sure the case was ever properly solved......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:
J.R. wrote:Quite agree with you about Mills & Boon. What a load of hogwash. Nearly as bad as Barbara Cartland, not that I've read any of them that is.
Just as a matter of interest, her nephew (I think), Jeremy Cartland, used to teach me English before I went to C.H.

Some of you may remember the Cartland murder case in the early '70s (Jeremy and his father were on holiday in France - the story is that they were attacked, Jeremy was injured and his father killed).

There was a load of press coverage at the time. Did they have a fight? Was a 3rd. party responsible?

Not sure the case was ever properly solved......
Brings back memories Richard.

I seem to remember one of the TV channels did a re-construction programme on the case.

I thought that it was some old local farmer and his son that were charged eventually ?

P'raps Mary might like to have another 'Google', -- AGAIN ??
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Well lucky old everyone!
I never won a thing at school (except sporting colours). I am beginning to feel inadequate.
That's one up on me. I didn't even get the prize for the largest number of strokes - that went to a boy in Peele B (I do remember his name but I will spare his blushes). I got 2nd place - I think.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

sejintenej wrote: I didn't even get the prize for the largest number of strokes - that went to a boy in Peele B (I do remember his name but I will spare his blushes). I got 2nd place - I think.
Could you tell us what (or who) you were stroking? I couldn't possibly comment on the fact that you came second ... :wink:
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cj wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I didn't even get the prize for the largest number of strokes - that went to a boy in Peele B (I do remember his name but I will spare his blushes). I got 2nd place - I think.
Could you tell us what (or who) you were stroking? I couldn't possibly comment on the fact that you came second ... :wink:
I could !
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Read a Jackie Collins the other day, just for the experience, you understand. About as erotic as a limp salad. Think I'll stick to the, 'Sent in a Plain Brown Wrapper' variety !
Does that mean they are off the top shelf? or that they come from Amazon.com????