RBS Six Nations

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Will England beat Ireland on saturday?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:21 am

Yes without a doubt
44%
Not a chance
56%

Total votes: 9

Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Re: RBS Six Nations

Post by Hendrik »

Laura M wrote:What happend yesterday? Its one thing to be beaten but beaten so convincingly it almost makes you ashamed to be English.
Nah, all the political imperialism and latent national racism is enough to make me ashamed to be English.

For the amount of people in the country, we are utterly vvank at rugby, let's face it. And even if we do win, we are really incredibly bad winners. Think of the endless parades when we eventually won the world cup. THAT makes me ashamed to be English, and it's supposed to do the opposite.
Per capita, nearly every other rugby playing nation in the world is leagues better than us.
If wales had the population of England OR the same funding as our rugby team, they would kick our stiff upper-backsides everytime.

I say 'our', I don't even support England. I'm not welsh, but I'm proud to be a Wales supporter.

There's only two rugby teams I ever support:
Wales, and whoever is playing against England.

And which idiot chose white for a Rugby strip? :x
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Do you pretend to be Welsh when the rugby's on, then?

'Political Imperialism and latent national racism' - where exactly do you find this? If you mean in certain sections of the press (or indeed in certain sections of the R.F.U.), then I'd have to agree.

If you mean that these are characteristics of the average English rugby supporter, then I'd have to completely disagree (and I do mean 'average', not the braying idiots on corporate jollies at Twickenham).

I think Howard's right, though. In most English sports, words like 'effort', 'hard work' and 'honesty' are bandied about as being desirable qualities, rather than 'talent', 'instinct', 'skill', etc.

As for supporting Wales and anyone playing England, it's the other way round for me (a legacy of starting to play rugby in Somerset during the heyday of Welsh rugby, and having a succession of archetypal Welsh coaches who always liked to go on about how good Wales were).

The only team I wouldn't cheer against Wales is South Africa - a crappy draw would be my preferred result there.

Needless to say, I was shouting for Italy on Saturday.

Last point - if Wales had the same population and / or funding as England, history suggests that this would merely afford them more opportunities for infighting and spectacular implosions, as witnessed recently in the whole Ruddock affair, Henson's book, 'player power', Gareth Thomas's appearance on Scrum V, and the fact that several of the possible candidates for the coaching job have openly stated that they would not be prepared to work with the current W.R.F.U. set-up.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

indeed, certainly less latent hatred than in supporters of some football teams!
i said SOME.

know what you mean about the welsh rugby coaches, do you think schoolboys in the southern hemisphere have the same problem with kiwis?

i really enjoyed rugby at school but the scene at uni is entirely dominated by archetypal racist jocks (sports jocks, not scots). they're all a bunch of spoilt little rich kids, tend to be thick as sh1t, don't even do proper degrees and for whatever reason mostly come from the westcountry (this doesnt bother me, but does stump me rather). they're constantly racist against the welsh even though they chose to live in swansea. i guess this has made me somewhat bitter about english rugby.

apologies
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Richard Ruck wrote:(a legacy of starting to play rugby in Somerset during the heyday of Welsh rugby, and having a succession of archetypal Welsh coaches who always liked to go on about how good Wales were).
The problem was your welsh coaches were right. That team was good. They had the flair that Howard referd to.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

AKAP wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:(a legacy of starting to play rugby in Somerset during the heyday of Welsh rugby, and having a succession of archetypal Welsh coaches who always liked to go on about how good Wales were).
The problem was your welsh coaches were right. That team was good. They had the flair that Howard referd to.
They did have a point, I suppose, but by that time it was too late for me!

At my very first school (in Somerset), there were only 3 teachers. They were named Mrs. Davies, Mrs. Evans and Miss Watkins. None of them were from Somerset.

At my prep school (in Somerset), I was taught rugby by a bunch of blokes called Davies, Price, Evans and Williams. They weren't West Country lads, either.

We lived in a town called Clevedon (North Somerset). Because of the geography of the place, we could only receive Welsh television. My schoolmates would be happily watching Batgirl (or similar), whereas at the same time I was being subjected to two Welsh 'comedians' named Ryan and Ronnie (their show was, of course, in Welsh).

Paddle steamers used to take day trippers to various places up and down the Bristol Channel, including Clevedon and Cardiff. The Welsh trippers used to come to Clevedon, sit on the promenade and stare across at Cardiff and Newport until it was time to go home again. I never really understood their behaviour.

Finally, when I got to C.H., the U.13 rugby coaches were, you've guessed it, Welsh.

Not that these things affected my feeling of wanting to get one over on the Welsh, of course! :lol:

Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Would like to remind everyone that this is a forum about the six nations and not a forum to rant about how ashamed you are to be English (I was joking) or get bogged down by politics.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

we are merely clearing up some background information as to the reasons for the current sociopolitical followings/beliefs of six nations fans.

promise...

:roll:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

It's true - no politics here! :wink:

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Laura M wrote:Would like to remind everyone that this is a forum about the six nations and not a forum to rant about how ashamed you are to be English (I was joking) or get bogged down by politics.
Back to the Six Nations, then. What do you think about the England team to play Ireland?

I'm glad Abbott's in (at long last), but I can't see the point of dropping Grewcock to the bench, especially against the Irish. Don't really see why Lewsey's out of the squad, either. I know he messed up a few times against France, but who didn't?

Odd tinkerings won't be enough to win the match on current form, I feel.

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

All over for another year. At least England finished above Wales..........

Everyone's got a lot of work to do before the World Cup.

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I think we should ask JR to draw a line under any discussion about England's performance this season.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

A disappointing but not entirely unexpected end to the 6 Nations for England then. However, yesterdays game was the first time I have watched England play and been excited by in in a while.
Lots to work on for the world cup no doubt we will seeing many changes to the England team as a whole over the next 18 months.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

England played much better against Ireland and for a change did not deserve to lose. They had more possession and territory but unfortunatley were undone by 2 bad decisions by the linesmen who should have gone to Specsavers...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Ugh.
The French got the title.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hannoir wrote:Ugh.
The French got the title.
.....and your point is?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"