RBS Six Nations

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Will England beat Ireland on saturday?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:21 am

Yes without a doubt
44%
Not a chance
56%

Total votes: 9

Laura M
Deputy Grecian

RBS Six Nations

Post by Laura M »

I noticed that this forum was rather short on rugby related topics so I felt that seeing as I am quite happy to spend 80 minutes yelling at a TV screen where no one really listens I felt why not voice my opinions on the latest international rugby action to you guys.

What happend yesterday? Its one thing to be beaten but beaten so convincingly it almost makes you ashamed to be English. With a final score of 31-6 we must wonder what were England play because it was certainly not international rugby. The game was poorly executed on the English side with mistakes being made that at that level really shouldn't have been occurring. It was a scrappy scrappy game!

Any thoughts?
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

We were just pants...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

According to the Beeb, someone from Bristol was to be called up but had his mobile off!!!

for want of a horseshoe nail springs to mind.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Great Plum wrote:We were just pants...
I'm not sure I would rate them that highly.
At least pants are useful.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

True - I was at work until 4 and then moved to a pub where I hid from the tv...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: RBS Six Nations

Post by Mid A 15 »

Laura M wrote:I noticed that this forum was rather short on rugby related topics so I felt that seeing as I am quite happy to spend 80 minutes yelling at a TV screen where no one really listens I felt why not voice my opinions on the latest international rugby action to you guys.

What happend yesterday? Its one thing to be beaten but beaten so convincingly it almost makes you ashamed to be English. With a final score of 31-6 we must wonder what were England play because it was certainly not international rugby. The game was poorly executed on the English side with mistakes being made that at that level really shouldn't have been occurring. It was a scrappy scrappy game!

Any thoughts?
As I attended Charlton Athletic v Middlesborough yesterday I did not see the game from start to finish. However from the highlights that I've seen the handling of the backs left a lot to be desired and the forwards were nowhere near as dominant as usual meaning that the ball we did win was of poor quality.

Unfortunately England teams do sometimes freeze in the cauldron that is Paris and I feel that there was an element of that yesterday.

I fully expect an England win against Ireland at Twickenham.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Yes I agree for England whenever they play France things can go either way but yesterdays performance was Frances best defeat over England ever.

Too many dropped balls.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Laura M wrote:Yes I agree for England whenever they play France things can go either way but yesterdays performance was Frances best defeat over England ever.

Too many dropped balls.
Yes Laura! It usually would!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Meaning that by the history of the two teams meeting, there really has never been a set precident, it doesn't seem to matter which team is having a better season a supprise is often in store.
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

:D I knew what you meant - just sounded funny reading it like that!!! :D
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Oh ok am suffering from acute humour failure at the moment.
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Mrs C. wrote::D I knew what you meant - just sounded funny reading it like that!!! :D
Bit like " a game of two halves".
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

England led the way for a couple of years in terms of fitness/strength and that was enough to win the world cup. Even during the world cup England didn't play particularly well (think the Samoa and Wales games) but they were able to bully opposition teams into submission. Now the other teams seem to have caught up and England's lack of skill is being exposed. Their confidence is down as well which just becomes a vicious circle. Robinson's probably got four games left to prove himself as a coach otherwise I think he may be sacked before the November internationals. The tactics currently suck and some of the players are not good: Tindall & Cohen are both great at defence but attack-wise are lacking. Dallaglio needs to be put out to pasture as his presence is just disrupting things. Corry was the best player in white on Sunday but his leadership skills aren't particularly great - he deserves to be in the team but I think the captaincy should go to Steve Borthwick. Some other players need to be given ago, namely Tom Varndell, James Simpson-Daniel, Ollie Smith, Matthew Tait, Chris Jones and Magnus Lund. Am worried we wont beat the Irish on Saturday now...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

England were just so inept that by the end of the match I really didn't care much any more.

Anyway, going to bed soon, but I may well be back on this thread tomorrow.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

The English display typified much of English "professional" sport now ...
overcoached and lacking in flair.