Houses and abbreviations - help please

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Houses and abbreviations - help please

Post by jtaylor »

Houses and abbreviations:-

I'm trying to crunch a bit of data from OldBlues.com, and needing to understand some of the abbreviations.
Sure this is an easy answer for someone, but can any of you knowledgable bunch help out?

I've got the current Horsham houses, but am unsure of the 1's, 2's, 3's, 7's etc.
Also, is "House 2" the same as 2's or what?
Which are Hertford, which are old Horsham house names etc. etc?

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of all the house, both CH and Horsham, and can post them up here?

Cheers,

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Hertford was 8 houses around the square , ergo House 1 = 1's . Up untill 1965 , 1's &5's were junior Houses, then abolished and from then on all years in each house. This is why older Hertford OBs can have 2 houses, later onl 1 Numbers in House as Horsham, e.g. I was 5.25 then 2.24 .
The Headgirl and Headmistress's Prefects did not live in House, but rather in the Flat, which was over the Art School - a rare priviledge, as outside stardard Housemistress control, and with an atomosphere closer to Uni. digs.
Hope this helps a bit !
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

As far as I know all the houses at Horsham are the same with the exception of the Prep, which became Leigh Hunt.
You won't have to worry about the Wards from London I suppose, because I am not sure how they transferred to Horsham.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

jhopgood wrote:As far as I know all the houses at Horsham are the same with the exception of the Prep, which became Leigh Hunt.
You won't have to worry about the Wards from London I suppose, because I am not sure how they transferred to Horsham.
But an interesting worry to have all the same if we were to have it. How did the Wards from London transfer to Horsham?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

When I went to the school, our houses were officially called Wards but that changed to Houses. They were always called 1s, 2s etc colloquially both when Houses and Wards. Wild One should be able to tell you the date they changed from Wards to Houses, becaused DR mentions it in her book. There was too much confusion with medical hospitals.

The Flat came in when we stopped having a resident Steward, When I was there it could sleep 6. You were still a member of your house and ate with the house. It varied as to who was in the Flat, in the Christmas terms it was the Senior VI whether they were School Prefects or not. I don't think we ever had more than 6, there were 6 of us in S VI. In the rest of the year it was Prefects, except there had to be a Mon left in each House even if both were Prefects.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Jolyon »

the Houses went into Barnes and Cole with 2 Hertford houses in each side. If I recall 1 + 2 became Cole A, 3 + 4 Cole B and so on.

BUT I may have that backwards, would have to ask someone who was there at the time to be 100% sure.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't remember when there stopped being a Senior Sixth and people applied for Oxbridge in Upper Sixth.

I know there was only one my final year, becasue she had switched from Sciences to Arts.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

So, would this be a comprehensive list of houses people could ever have been in??

Prep A
Prep B
LH A
LH B
Ma A
Ma B
Ba A
Ba B
La A
La B
Col A
Col B
Mid A
Mid B
Th A
Th B
Pe A
Pe B
Gr W
Gr E

1’s 2’s 3’s 4’s 5’s 6’s 7’s 8’s

??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

That is correct for the 'Posh' school at Hertford.

Wasn't there a Ward 9 somewhere? I seem to remember a Ward 9 reunion in some publication or another, or is that a hangover from Newgate?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:That is correct for the 'Posh' school at Hertford.

Wasn't there a Ward 9 somewhere? I seem to remember a Ward 9 reunion in some publication or another, or is that a hangover from Newgate?
Thornton B & 9s Association I think, a hangover from Newgate, my brother was in Thorn B (or should that be Th B?) I think it may be time to drop the 9s in its name, there won't be any coming - not even our WW1 veteran was in London.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Don't forget the now defunct Hertford House at Horsham. They did contribute house notes to several editions of 'The Blue', so although it was a temporary entity I suppose it qualifies as a House.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Yes Hertford was definately a house...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

certainly was. it was only there a few years but it was technically no less a real house than GrE or GrW.

i think my year was the first to have girls there, not sure. was it originally just a pet project of Leander Thornton's? it very much seemed so.

in it's second year it was, i think, exclusively used as an overflow for an exceptionally large yeargroup of hunt b deps. all of the originals went to hertford, all of the new ones ran the boarding house. rediculous or what.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:certainly was. it was only there a few years but it was technically no less a real house than GrE or GrW.

i think my year was the first to have girls there, not sure. was it originally just a pet project of Leander Thornton's? it very much seemed so.

in it's second year it was, i think, exclusively used as an overflow for an exceptionally large yeargroup of hunt b deps. all of the originals went to hertford, all of the new ones ran the boarding house. rediculous or what.
Hendrik, my year was the first I think (98-99)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Is there an accepted abbreviation for Hertford house? I'm trying to standardise stuff, and having "Hertford" as a house as-is will probably confuse people - if someone has "Hertford" in their house list, it could imply "went to Hertford, and we don't know which house", or the actual "Hertford House"

Where was Hertford house? Was that when the Prep Block was used as a boarding house??

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992