Veggies ??

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Veggies ??

Post by J.R. »

A thought occured to me in the early hours of this morning, or rather, a question.

In these days of PC bollox, many people sneer at meat-eaters.

I don't ever recall any vegetarians during the early 60's at CH, OR any choice of menu.

What ever happened to new pupils who'd been brought up NOT to eat meat ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Maybe they just ate cheese...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Veggies ??

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:I don't ever recall any vegetarians during the early 60's at CH, OR any choice of menu.

What ever happened to new pupils who'd been brought up NOT to eat meat ??
I don't think we had any choice either. We did have a few Jews (notably Ruth Fraenkel now Dame Ruth Deech) and we had at least one Moslem before I left. I cannot remember any provision for their not eating pork.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We had one Jewish girl in 3's, whose mother had told her it would be ok to eat bacon during rationing, to make sure she got a sufficiently balanced diet.

I remember reading an interview with Ruth Deech a few years ago in which she was pretty scathing about her time at CH, but it wasn't really clear what particularly annoyed her.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

There are veggies, aka mentally unhinged people, in school - nowadays the school has to legally cater for these nutjobs as well. Their meal options generally look and taste like unrefined sewage - although without the 'meat'! (Which of course is the best part of 'unrefined sewage').

I think of it as masochism.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Some of us just do not like meat Luke!!!

And the salad bar is always a good bet !
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:I remember reading an interview with Ruth Deech a few years ago in which she was pretty scathing about her time at CH, but it wasn't really clear what particularly annoyed her.
Somewhere I read that she was very annoyed not to be given the leaving Bible, so she was given one a few years ago to make up for it. It may have been the same interview, Midget!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

darthmaul wrote:There are veggies, aka mentally unhinged people, in school - nowadays the school has to legally cater for these nutjobs as well. Their meal options generally look and taste like unrefined sewage - although without the 'meat'! (Which of course is the best part of 'unrefined sewage').

I think of it as masochism.
and I thought you were a nice broad-minded young man......
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

yep, so did i. but there is a small, but definite, correlation between people who eat meat and general chauvenism, however small. as our friend here seems out to prove...

School veggie meals aren't veggie anyway. they use cheese which isn't veggie. an ex of mine who was also veggie asked to see the wrappers to see if it contained calf intestines (like most cheeses), which she is perfectly entitled to do. they refused every single time.
if kosher or halal meals had traces of pig fat, the school would be in court before you can say "i believe in fairies". when it comes to people who have genuine ethical reasons, no-one gives a monkeys testicle (also a likely school food ingredient)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hendrik wrote:yep, so did i. but there is a small, but definite, correlation between people who eat meat and general chauvenism, however small. as our friend here seems out to prove...

School veggie meals aren't veggie anyway. they use cheese which isn't veggie. an ex of mine who was also veggie asked to see the wrappers to see if it contained calf intestines (like most cheeses), which she is perfectly entitled to do. they refused every single time.
if kosher or halal meals had traces of pig fat, the school would be in court before you can say "i believe in fairies". when it comes to people who have genuine ethical reasons, no-one gives a monkeys testicle (also a likely school food ingredient)

Just ensuring the survival of the fairies.
Last edited by englishangel on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

True but most veggies eat cheese...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:True but most veggies eat cheese...
You can get veggie cheese, without rennet.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Englishangel

I thought that you started work today? Are you back in the "you seduce 'em, we produce 'em" business? Anyway, best of good fortune.
elf337
2nd Former

Post by elf337 »

You lot think vegeterianism is bad, you should try living with a vegan!

The amount of flavourings and preservatives which might contain milk protiens and hence are not worth the risk (my mother is actually allergic to any animal-based products rather than any ethical or religious belief). Ready Salted crisps for example - most of these contain whey powder coz it gives them an extra week's shelf life.

I'm a huge critic of school food as it is but if I like my mother had to live on a strictly vegan diet I'd probably starve here.
Lee Elvin, PeB (2004/5), GrW (2005-present)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i was vegan for a month, shed scary amounts of weight, though ended up looking a bit like a scag addict.
highly recommended as a weight loss diet.

veganism wasn't really as hard as i thought it would be to be honest (and i really loved cheese!).

understandably it's a lot harder when a) you don't have a choice in the matter, and b) you are intolerant to trace amounts of non-vegan whey etc. Your poor mother.