" Claims to fame"

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Re: " Claims to fame"

Post by cstegerlewis »

The most tenuous one I can think of was that in about '83 my brother's (not an Old Blue) best mate Neil was going out with a girl from Leighton Buzzard whose sister was the paramour of the Bass Guitarist in 'Kajagoogoo', Nick Beggs, just as they got famous!

More recently a good friend is best mates with Andy Vella, who does all the album artwork for The Cure
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

My uncle designed the British Rail sign.

I met the Green Cross Code man when I was at primary school and he stood on my foot. I have technically, therefore, been physically assaulted by Darth Vader.

I was on Chris Moyles' ill-fated television show on Channel 5 (it was rubbish). He tried to make me drink raw eggs on live television but I refused.

I once accidentally offered a pint of Magners to Shane McGowan and then had to tell him it wasn't for him after all. He looked devastated.

I used to know Emiliana Torrini (google her if you don't know who she is) but I haven't seen her for several years.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Played catch on the beach at Botany Bay, North Foreland, with Colin Cowdrey.
Julian Filowchowski, former Director of Cafod, was my volunteer coordinator in Guatemala and when passing through, he would lend me a floor to sleep on.
Sat next to Eddie Murphy's manager on flight from New Jersey to Miami. Eddie Murphy had the window seat on the other side of the plane, next to a minder. Big lads.
Exchanged words with Prince Charles when he came to Buenos Aires. ( As Peter Sellars says in his record "Balham", he stopped by for a couple of words, I didn't understand either of them).
Missed speaking to his Dad, who decided to do his own thing at a cocktail party in El Salvador, much to the annoyance of all the local dignitaries who had lined up to meet him.
Sat at a bar in Coventry Theatre next to Anita Harris and her enormous dog (afghan I think). I had a major hangover and was only informed who she was, by my sister who came to get me. (Sister's first panto with Frankie Vaughan, Norman Vaughan, Anita Harris and others. They might well have been there as well but my vision was blurred. She later did shows with Eric and Ernie, Cliff Richards, Tommy Steele and others, none of whom I met).
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Won the Financial Times Christmas writing competition a few years back ("Who is the greatest person who ever lived")
Who is/was the greatest person? I'm so impressed you won the competition; wow!
I was feeling a bit pissed off at my secretary at the time - she had entered me - so I proposed the one person who has affected (almost) every person of every religion (plus athiests) everywhere in the world since we crawled out of the primeval slime as well as the inhabitantants of the majestic reaches of Alpha Centauri and everywhere beyond.
This in contra distinction to Jesus, Mohammed, Bhudda etc who are known by only a fraction of the world's population and only during the past 2000 years (or less).

The FT had the decency to create a joint first prize which went to Elizabeth Fry (the prison reformer)
>

>

>

>

My nomination, in case you hadn't guessed, was "Murphy". - I did say my secretary had pissed me off!
The magnum was used to wet my first grand-daughter's head (metaphorically speaking)

Edit:
a few more:
delivering early morning tea in bed to the then Governor of the Bank of England whose name I forget, to Uffa Fox (the Duke of Edinburgh's sailing master) and to a then future chairman of Barclays Bank.
We have had a current star of the West End stage (and recently the Chichester Festival Theatre) (and separately her mother) "resting" at the farm; we are currently planning her "hen week" there with the evilest intent. Does anyone have any almost-criminal suggestions?
Jenny Powell's (TV presenter) brother is a regular visitor and her parents and several of her aunts have stayed with us.
Last edited by sejintenej on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

I once accidentally offered a pint of Magners to Shane McGowan and then had to tell him it wasn't for him after all. He looked devastated.
Being in the same bar and not buying him a pint :o Thats sacrilegious!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

my cousin lived for about 2 years in Chelsea, London as she worked at the hospital and was always texting me telling me which famous people she had spotted....including Hugh Grant, Dougray Scott. The best however was seeing James Hewitt in a ladies underwear shop on the Kings road!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

My Mum and Dad have just had their sofa reupholstered by Tony "Baldrick" Robinson's cousin.

At the UoP degree ceremony in Exeter in 2006, my husband was introduced to and had a brief chat with Kevin McCloud after he (KM) received his honorary doctorate.

On a train from Billingshurst to London, I sat opposite someone who had been on telly, but whose name I didn't know.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

marty wrote:My uncle designed the British Rail sign.

I met the Green Cross Code man when I was at primary school and he stood on my foot. I have technically, therefore, been physically assaulted by Darth Vader.

Oh, wow, is that the fluttering of a Chinese butterfly's wing that I feel on my cheek?

I worked with Chewbaccaca :D He was, and may still be, a Theatre Porter at King's when I worked there as an RA.

xx
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I was best friends in my first year at CH with Lindsay Morton, whose Auntie Jean was the Auntie Jean Morton of Tingha and Tucker fame. Gosh, I'm showing my age.

I'd already been to the Mansion House before going with CH. Someone in our village was the Lord Mayor's private secretary, and he got me and my brother tickets for the children's Christmas fancy dress party.

I've seen Derek Nimmo in MK BHS and Linda Robson in MK Waitrose.

I was waiting at a bus stop on Euston Road a couple of months ago and Boris Johnston rode past on his bike.

I've met Sir Clive Sinclair several times (he's president of an organisation I belong to).

I can't believe I'm doing this :roll:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cj wrote:My Mum and Dad have just had their sofa reupholstered by Tony "Baldrick" Robinson's cousin.

At the UoP degree ceremony in Exeter in 2006, my husband was introduced to and had a brief chat with Kevin McCloud after he (KM) received his honorary doctorate.

On a train from Billingshurst to London, I sat opposite someone who had been on telly, but whose name I didn't know.
I think this is my favourite so far.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I once saw Norman Tebbit walking through Piries Place in Horsham, and have seen Paul Darrow (who played Avon in Blake's 7) in Waitrose.

In my record retailing days, I served such luminaries as Richard Briers, Budgie (from the wonderful Siouxsie and The Banshees), Mike Rutherford (from the yawnsome popular beat combo Genesis), local TV person Fred Dinenage, film director Ken Russell and TV bloke Hugh Scully. Ooooh, those were exciting times!

I have also received a frankly limp handshake from Sir Peter Maxwell Davies.

My mother tells me that Adam Faith once held a door open for us in Exeter in 1966........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

A friend of mine was going out with a bloke who looked weirdly like a young Richard Briers. When I was staying, he crept into my room and flung himself on me.

So I can say that I have fought off Richard Briers one time removed. He smelled of pipe tobacco.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I once saw Ian Botham crossing the road. And I gave my collection of matchbox tops* to Steve Davis, who played snooker at the Working Men's Club that my step-father belonged to.

*I don't think he really wanted them, but was too polite to say so.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I sat next to Michael Heseltine at the Royal Opera House when we went to the ballet there in 1980. Only time I have ever been and can't remember what ballet it was.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

ben ashton wrote:
marty wrote:I once accidentally offered a pint of Magners to Shane McGowan and then had to tell him it wasn't for him after all. He looked devastated.
Being in the same bar and not buying him a pint :o Thats sacrilegious!
I think he can afford to buy his own, Ben! I had bought the pint for a friend and without looking stretched my arm holding the pint out behind me in the direction of where my friend was. Fully expecting my friend to take the pint I waited a few seconds and then turned round when he didn't. To my horror my friend had disappeared, only to be replaced by Mr McGowan who was now eagerly eyeing up my mate's drink. Realising I was brandishing cider at one of music's most legendary alcoholics I briefly panicked before simply saying, "Er, that's not for you." At which point Shane shrugged and walked off.

icomefromalanddownunder - do you mean Peter Mayhew? Surprised he's still working. All we need now is someone who knows Kenny Baker and we'll have more or less a full set!