What very ordinary things have you never done?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I've never been on a hen night.
I've never done an Excel spreadsheet.
I've never waxed my legs.
I've never had a perm.
I've never watched Brief Encounter.

(or been to Spain, or skiing, or skinny dipping)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I've never smoked a cigarette

I have never been to a football match (by that, I don't mean watching them at school - I mean a league match of some sort...)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I have never played Monopoly.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Jenny Pardington wrote:Am somewhat struck dumb by what is considered ordinary. Skiing? What's that? Does "never done a parachute jump" or "never walked on hot coals" count?
Sorry Jenny - that was me, I was trying to think of something to add and an advert for a skiiing holiday was in the paper on front of me! (Don't know where the skinny dipping came from - suppressed desires? :shock: :shock: )
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

What an interesting thread!

I've never seen a James Bond file (or Star Wars, come to that)
Been to Spain
Been skiing
Watched Big Brother
Used an iPOD or any of those MP3 thingies
Got married (pretty much got a husband I suppose, but never had a wedding day:-))
Had kids

and doubtless lots of other things, but that's all I can think of for now
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

cj wrote:I've never been on a hen night.
I've never had a perm.
Those seem like normal things that I have never done :lol:

On a more realistic note, I have never been a best man, or had a stag night (most have by my age) but somehow got a mortgage and 2 children
never been on jury service
never been done for speeding (seems to be standard nowadays)
never eaten chips & mushy peas depite living in Nottingham for 3 years.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

cstegerlewis wrote:
cj wrote:I've never been on a hen night.
I've never had a perm.
Those seem like normal things that I have never done :lol:

On a more realistic note, I have never been a best man, or had a stag night (most have by my age) but somehow got a mortgage and 2 children
never been on jury service
never eaten chips & mushy peas depite living in Nottingham for 3 years.
I would love to do jury service and have never been asked yet. My husband was called last January after postponing it once and the case that came up was a big murder trial in North Devon where the girl's body was never found. He couldn't commit to a month out of work so did petty fraud etc. I was gutted!

Never had mushy peas either, but it's not a staple of the Devon menu so not surprising. And it looks gross.

As for speeding, here lies a sorry tale. I rarely drive as we only have the one car which hubby uses for work and when I do am very cautious - not keen being on the road as a driver or passenger. Husband went to Amsterdam for a week early Nov leaving me with the car which I took out a few times with my mother in the front passenger seat wittering on to me. Didn't notice the 30 notice going through a village one evening, thinking it came a bit further up the road, but clocked the flash of the camera and slowed down immediately from 39 mph. 2 days later a notice comes through with a date of the previous week. Rifle through the calendar thinking they've got the details wrong, only to realise that I was out in that place and the camera must have got me twice in exactly the same spot. Now anxiously waiting for the second notice. These will be the most expensive trips to Tesco I've ever had. Instead of points on your licence they send you on a course for speeders. Mrs Cautious-Apart-From-2-Infractions will be sitting there next to Mr White-Van-Man and Master Boy-Racer-With-Farty-Exhaust. Am now feeling very worried and rather foolish.

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have never been to a hen night but I did got to an american bridal shower, a very different thing.

I have been to a stag night, but that is a different story.

I got my speeding points in August 2004 (therefore now cleared) taking my son to the dentist down a very steep hill where there was a handheld thingy just where the speed changes from 40 to 30. However I didn't argue as it was timed at 1055 and we made the 1100 appointment.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

cj wrote:
cstegerlewis wrote:On a more realistic note, I have ...
As for speeding, here lies a sorry tale. I rarely drive as we only have the one car which hubby uses for work and when I do am very cautious - not keen being on the road as a driver or passenger. Husband went to Amsterdam for a week early Nov leaving me with the car which I took out a few times with my mother in the front passenger seat wittering on to me. Didn't notice the 30 notice going through a village one evening, thinking it came a bit further up the road, but clocked the flash of the camera and slowed down immediately from 39 mph. 2 days later a notice comes through with a date of the previous week. Rifle through the calendar thinking they've got the details wrong, only to realise that I was out in that place and the camera must have got me twice in exactly the same spot. Now anxiously waiting for the second notice. These will be the most expensive trips to Tesco I've ever had. Instead of points on your licence they send you on a course for speeders. Mrs Cautious-Apart-From-2-Infractions will be sitting there next to Mr White-Van-Man and Master Boy-Racer-With-Farty-Exhaust. Am now feeling very worried and rather foolish.
Update on a criminal's progress - just received the second letter from the Safety Camera Unit. No further action to be taken on the second offence (because it was the evening perhaps?). They are trialling a letter initiative that points out why not adhering to the speed limits is a bad idea, particularly in the evenings. Breathe a sigh of partial relief.

Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

englishangel wrote:I have been to a stag night, but that is a different story
Come on, englishangel, you can't leave a remark like that just hanging in the air! You have to tell us more.

:shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Foureyes wrote:
Come on, englishangel, you can't leave a remark like that just hanging in the air! You have to tell us more.

We're all waiting.......................................

:mutley:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

J.R. wrote:
Foureyes wrote:

We're all waiting.......................................

:mutley:

mmmm and the longer you leave it the more JRs imagination will be running riot conjring up all sorts of images :wink:
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote:
blondie95 wrote: Not taken any illegal substance
Watched the Star Wars films
I can echo Amy in all of these - can also add that I have never watched Big Brother, 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here' etc.

I have never played poker ...

I think I may be a sad case!!!
I think I can echo those plus never seen a "soap" except one episode of EastEnders and a few of Dallas (and never Debbie does D), never been bitten by a snake and never fallen from a plane.

BTW what is this "I'm a Celebrity" business or don't I want to know? Sounds pretty abusive to me.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

sejintenej wrote:BTW what is this "I'm a Celebrity" business or don't I want to know? Sounds pretty abusive to me.
One of the most amusing programmes on the tv - 12 flagging 'celebrities' trying to bump start their careers by eating kangaroo knackers or playing with scorpions. Plus Ant and Dec taking the mickey out of them. Great entertainment!

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I'm desperately trying to think of some "normal" things that I have never done , in vain - so either I far too much of a sheep, or else I have had a very active existence....

but I can put together a list of somewhat outlandish things that I HAVE done...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."