Hertford Memories - The Book

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

MKM
Grecian

Re: Hertford Memories - The Book

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote:Mary, could it have been "Godfrey Winn"?
Sorry, I don't remember anything definite like that. I think that the rows of chairs were not in their normal configuration, but facing the direction of the organ - is that right? And we had to repeat one of the songs. I would have been just mouthing the words, as I was too embarrassed to sing out loud, for fear of being out of tune. We were told, after it had been broadcast, that members of the public wrote to the BBC to say how much they liked the Foundation hymn.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It was 'Sunday half hour' but I have no idea who the presenter was.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:It was 'Sunday half hour' but I have no idea who the presenter was.
I think this programme has always had a number of presenters alternating rather than a specific one although I've not listened to it for many years.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Any developments, Angela?
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Are you still contemplating this, Angela?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh dear!

I began putting stuff together. Now I realise that my thoughts/compilation would greatly upset Kerren and her like-minded friends - I know from so many reminiscences that CH Hertford is a greatly complicated subject on which to write... I would be bound to put things differently for those who viewed DR as a kind, shy, gauche, naive young woman who cared so deeply for us...

How could I hurt their feelings?

Maybe let a little more time go by?
Last edited by Angela Woodford on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:Oh dear!

I began putting stuff together. Now I realise that my thoughts/compilation would greatly upset Kerren and her like-minded friends - I know from so many reminiscences that CH Hertford is a greatly complicated subject on which to write... I would be bound to put things differently for Kerren and Friends who viewed DR as a kind, shy, gauche, naive young woman who cared so deeply for us...

....another century, maybe?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Yes... perhaps you're right, Ann!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Perhaps you should be the editor of different chapters presenting different viewpoints. Have 'Old Girls' (what happened to CHOGA, btw - I thought I had a Lifetime Membership!!??) submit chapters. Your anecdotes would be the thread that wove all the disparate things together.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Kim, CHOGA was amalgamated into the CH Club about 10 years ago, this then became the CHAssociation, which has now become CHOBA. (I think). When we had the reunion at Hertford (was it really 2 years ago?) most of us were proudly wearing our CHOGA badges.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Angela Woodford wrote:Oh dear!

I began putting stuff together. Now I realise that my thoughts/compilation would greatly upset Kerren and her like-minded friends - I know from so many reminiscences that CH Hertford is a greatly complicated subject on which to write... I would be bound to put things differently for those who viewed DR as a kind, shy, gauche, naive young woman who cared so deeply for us...

Ruth Deech didn't feel so hesitant on the matter, speaking at the Founder's Day Dinner last year and reproduced in the latest Old Blue. After describing herself as a square peg in a round hole and and "the most unpromising of new girls", I quote from page 10, "When I left in the spring of 1961 Miss West told me that she wouldn't take any more like me, and that I lacked moral fibre". Your experience of Hertford and DR is just as valid as Kerren's.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Is it strange that Ruth (whose reflections on her experiences at CH Hertford are well documented) and I (whose differing views on Miss West in retirement) seem to be in complete accord? I respect and value Ruth's position and her friendship, and have felt privileged to share brief moments in her busy and important life, in recent years. One coin, two sides.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

kerrensimmonds wrote:Is it strange that Ruth (whose reflections on her experiences at CH Hertford are well documented) and I (whose differing views on Miss West in retirement) seem to be in complete accord? I respect and value Ruth's position and her friendship, and have felt privileged to share brief moments in her busy and important life, in recent years. One coin, two sides.
It is strange. It's really remarkable that even the splendid Baroness Deech remembers the hurtful things DR West said to her - (sees copy of the Old Blue) "lack of moral fibre" "wouldn't take any more like me". Isn't that awful? The Baroness doesn't quote one single good thing that DR ever said to her!

I particuarly liked her regret that DR couldn't be there at that Founder's Day Dinner to realise that her "lack of moral fibre" comment would have been shown subsequently to have been cruel and wrong.

Just for the record, does anyone remember a sincere enthusiastic "well done" from DR? It's sad that most of us remember the really horrible things she said! Her unkind bluntness seems to have stuck in our memories.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Just for the record, does anyone remember a sincere enthusiastic "well done" from DR? It's sad that most of us remember the really horrible things she said! Her unkind bluntness seems to have stuck in our memories.
She did put "Well done, I'm so glad" at the bottom of the postcard with my O-Level results. I had actually managed to pass in 8 subjects despite the effects of tranquillisers prescribed by the idiot school doctor. I assumed she put similar messages on most cards.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

anniexf wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:
She did put "Well done, I'm so glad" at the bottom of the postcard with my O-Level results. I had actually managed to pass in 8 subjects despite the effects of tranquillisers prescribed by the idiot school doctor. I assumed she put similar messages on most cards.
Not Hertford but Horsham; one of the boys in Col A was so stressed that he was in the infirmary for several weeks, being brought out of sedation to take the exams. Some times it is necessary - I know about that because it was I who had to bike the papers over to him! I do not know his results because it occurred in my final term and he is not a subscriber to the Forum so far as I know.