"They were sweet and meant well"

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: "They were sweet and meant well"

Post by michael scuffil »

fra828 wrote:In LV1, a small group of us visited Mrs Oliver and her husband in their home in Ware- and Mr O, long-haired and hippyish- sooo cool! 8) - played Leonard Cohen's 'Suzanne' on his guitar. I think Mrs O sang.
Did she dress in rags and feathers from Salvation Army counters?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

michael scuffil wrote:
fra828 wrote:In LV1, a small group of us visited Mrs Oliver and her husband in their home in Ware- and Mr O, long-haired and hippyish- sooo cool! 8) - played Leonard Cohen's 'Suzanne' on his guitar. I think Mrs O sang.
Did she dress in rags and feathers from Salvation Army counters?
:lol: Should have put that on 'Leonard Cohen' thread!
bgw
2nd Former

Post by bgw »

chaosriddenyears wrote:You are right Jo, Miss Griffith-Williams was lame - she also sniffed alot and seemed to have a permanent cold. She not only sounded boring, I think she really was truly bored!

Miss Coles was a fabulous history teacher and inspired me as well with a great love of history. She taught with passion and wit and people in history literally came to life before my eyes- she knew details about clothes, living conditions and just everyday life that made everything so very vivid. Her knowledge of her subject was breathtaking and she would pace up and down in her fervour!
It was always a good story! Which is what history should be I think.
Yes, I really was bored!! Not lame, though.
bgw
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

bgw wrote:
chaosriddenyears wrote:You are right Jo, Miss Griffith-Williams was lame - she also sniffed alot and seemed to have a permanent cold. She not only sounded boring, I think she really was truly bored!

Miss Coles was a fabulous history teacher and inspired me as well with a great love of history. She taught with passion and wit and people in history literally came to life before my eyes- she knew details about clothes, living conditions and just everyday life that made everything so very vivid. Her knowledge of her subject was breathtaking and she would pace up and down in her fervour!
It was always a good story! Which is what history should be I think.
Yes, I really was bored!! Not lame, though.
Ouch!
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71