Middleton House Photos

Photos associated with Middleton house

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Middleton B House Photos

Post by michael scuffil »

Foureyes wrote:This is the Middleton B house photograph for 1939, which was found in the Museum in the course of other research. It is well before even my time, but the one name I can place is Michael Evans, who is in the third row from the front, centre, peering over the housemaster's head. He left the schoool in July 1942 and was killed in a German attack on the Guildford-Horsham train on 16 December 1942 as it approached the station at Bramley.
:shock:

What I find curious about this picture is that it could have been taken 20 years later. But compare a 59 photo with a 79, and you'll get a shock.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

michael scuffil wrote:What I find curious about this picture is that it could have been taken 20 years later. But compare a 59 photo with a 79, and you'll get a shock.
Agreed, but you could have made that last year '69!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Ajarn Philip wrote:
Agreed, but you could have made that last year '69!
That certainly applies to the appearance of the individual boys. But one thing you do notice if you look closely at the 39 pic is that many of the back row are quite young. This was changing already by 1959 actually, but we can't compare 69 in this respect because by then there were senior and junior houses.

The big Grecians expansion started in about 1957, it was Seaman's really big reform (and in fact became the driving force for the change to senior and junior houses.)

This picture seems to be the only pre-war house photo on the forum. It would be interesting to have more. It would be very interesting to see some pre-First WW house photos if such exist.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Middleton House Photos

Post by Foureyes »

"..many of the back row are quite young.."

Do you mean "back row"? Surely, front row????
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

No, I meant back row.

In 1963 or 64, the final years before the change to senior and junior houses, all the back row (top-tablers) would have been deps and grecians. Many of this back row look like 14-year-olds.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Michael scuffil says:
"No, I meant back row. In 1963 or 64, the final years before the change to senior and junior houses, all the back row (top-tablers) would have been deps and grecians. Many of this back row look like 14-year-olds."
I apologise- you are quite correct. I have checked with Lamb B pics on which I appear and now see that the progression was Front Row - Third Row - Fourth Row - Fifth Row - Second Row. I stand corrected!!! :oops:
relic71
2nd Former

Post by relic71 »

little_r wrote: Image
I'm not going to name them all circa 1982
Wow. I've not seen this, or any CH pictures that I'm in, for over 20 years. How time flies.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Roger Bright, Second Commissioner and Chief Executive of The Crown Estates, a CB for public service, - Mid A 1963-69

Doing and well and pictured on this Forum.

Mid A 15 will know if it is the same person.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

jhopgood wrote:Roger Bright, Second Commissioner and Chief Executive of The Crown Estates, a CB for public service, - Mid A 1963-69

It is distinctly feasible.

The Roger Bright I knew ( in very first photo on this thread) went to Cambridge after CH so has possibly risen to a high level in his chosen field.

John, your brother was closer in age to Roger so might know something about what he has done since.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Mid A 15 wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Roger Bright, Second Commissioner and Chief Executive of The Crown Estates, a CB for public service, - Mid A 1963-69

It is distinctly feasible.

The Roger Bright I knew ( in very first photo on this thread) went to Cambridge after CH so has possibly risen to a high level in his chosen field.

John, your brother was closer in age to Roger so might know something about what he has done since.
Have just done a bit of googling subsequently and found a link which states that the Crown Estates Roger Bright graduated from Cambridge in 1973. On that basis I would say that there is a very high probability it is the same person.

I am useless at marrying up photos of the same person from 40 years apart but if anyone would like to try look at the first photo on the thread and the photo shown in this link:

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/about_u ... embers.htm

My only doubt is that the age seems young but then the biography could be a couple of years old I guess.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I asked my brother, who says he can't remember, and would have to look at the photo again.

I originally thought it was an R Bright who was in Barnes B with me (exact contemporary and had a younger brother Keith), but I can't remember the Barnes B Bright's christian name, and the dates given are wrong. Also the Bright I knew must have left in 1967 having taken the Oxford and Cambridge Entrance exams.
The Bright I knew is in the Barnes B photos on this forum and bears no resemblance to the Mid A Bright.

Over to brother who knew both but can't remember.

What a family.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
macjules
2nd Former

Re:

Post by macjules »

Scone Lover wrote:Image

Okay, I took 3 of these photos and am in one of them
If I recall correctly ...

Always Left to Right and (?) = not sure

Top left: Graham Iles, Scone Lover, Jeremy Burgess
Top right: David French, Graham Iles, Jeremy Burgess
Bottom Left: Graham Iles, Jeremy Burgess, John Sedgewick
Bottom Left: John Donaldson, Mike Donaldson, John Sedgewick (?), Terence Dunkin (?), Jeremy Burgess
Nigel Walker
(Unknown) (?), (Unknown), (Unknown), Eric Mitchell, Julian Angel.

I didn't usually smoke in the Squash Courts since it was far too easy to get caught by the occasional Grecian popping out after a beer or 2 in the club.
macjules
2nd Former

Re:

Post by macjules »

Richard Ruck wrote:That brings back a few memories. Can you name them all, Sean?

Still can't remember why some of us missed it..........

By the way, nice to see the Revd. I. Atkinson doing the left eyeball thing in the second photo.

The photos seem to be lacking a house tutor, too. Who was it at the time - Keith Stratton?
Dai Williams ... another voice from the valleys who took over from Gerald Davies.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hopefully, thanks to Julian, below will be a photo of the Middleton A house monitors from Michaelmas Term 1971

Click on image to enlarge.

Back (L to R): Eldridge C, Clark D, Miller A

Front (L to R): Nicholson, Keyes S, Arbon R, Turner
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Again, thanks to Julian, the photo below shows Middleton A marching to lunch past the Headmaster's House. CME Seaman can be seen in the background either arriving or departing. I favour arriving.

This was taken in the Michaelmas Term of 1969.

Click on image to enlarge.

Ma A, Mid A 65 -72