Rob Gauntlett RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Rob Gauntlett RIP

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I echo the need to find closure in a service in the Chapel at CH, hoping that the Powers That Be would allow it. Albeit many years older, and female to boot, I would attend if I could. The loss of these two young lives is unbearable.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Exiled_in_Rome
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Exiled_in_Rome »

A true tragedy indeed. Rob was a wonderful credit to his family and a person of whom the CH community can be deeply proud. I, like many Old Blues, had been more than happy to make a small contribution towards his and James's remarkable Everest expedition.

My thoughts are with Rob and James's families. Dreadful.

Dick
PeB, 1978-84
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

As I've said on James's page, the arbitrary cruelness of life is so sad. I knew neither of them but followed their progress up Everest, and was proud of the CH connection. Both families have a wonderful legacy left to them in the fullness of and achievement in the boys' short lives.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I echo the need to find closure in a service in the Chapel at CH, hoping that the Powers That Be would allow it. Albeit many years older, and female to boot, I would attend if I could. The loss of these two young lives is unbearable.
Seconded. Even though I probably wouldn't be able to attend, I would try if I at all could. Because of their achievements they were well-known to and held in esteem by all old blues, not just the ones that were at CH at the same time as them.

However, now is probably not the time to think about things like that yet; it is less than a day since they left us and those close to them need time to take it all in.
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by brian walling »

To Old Blues of an earlier generation, people like Rob Gauntlett and their achievements have made us proud of our associations with CH -- no matter how stretched these associations may have become through time or distance.

I live now in Penang, Malaysia, and was enjoying my breakfast as usual in a local coffee shop early yesterday morning, scanning the UK newspapers on my laptop, when I was shocked to read of Rob's death (and subsequently to learn that James Atkinson was the other death).

My sincere condolences to the families and to all those close to Rob and James.

The main page of the school Web site (http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk) prominently displays the photo of the CH flag on top of Everest. Rob is presumably one of the figures in this shot. Long may this stay there in memory of Rob and his achievements!

Later yesterday, it was curiously sad, but at the same time thrilling, when the BBC World Service showed this same photo on its TV satellite news channel here.

Brian Walling
Ma A 53-60
Ma A 53-60
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Mont Blanc is a treacherous place and having lived in France for over 14 years and now in Luxemburg, I was always shocked to see how many people meet tragic deaths there.

It is indeed all the more saddening when one learns of people closer to home who have died in tragic circumstances and my sincere condoleances go to both families.

The news was well covered in French news and sadly there have already been 4 other deaths this year.

After such an enormous achievement in conquering Everest, it seems so unfair to be taken in the prime of life.

These chaps will have achieved more in their 21 years than most of us in a lifetime and they are truly an inspiration to all that one should live life to the full and realize one's dreams.

RIP dear OBs
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Is this the first time that the deaths of OBs have been the subject of a Leader article in a national paper?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/le ... 01582.html
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote:Is this the first time that the deaths of OBs have been the subject of a Leader article in a national paper?

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/le ... 01582.html
A simple, short yet balanced article. I have to regret that, given his accomplishments, the CHA chose to only state that there is a book of condolance without saying anything of what he had done. If I hadn't read of him here over the past years I would have known nothing of what he had acheived.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I guess the CHA website people were waiting for the school's formal statement - which was posted up on the CHA website (not the school one) later in the day yesterday.
I thought it was a credit to him that the new Chair of the CHA (Adrian Bawtree) himself launched both those books of condolence - and must have done so within hours of learning the news which was announced in Chapel at the start of year service on Sunday evening.
Kerren Simmonds
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I have had a number of people contact me on Facebook to see if there will be some form of memorial service for the two boys - does anyone know if at this early stage, that is a possibility?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I would imagine that in due course there will be memorial plaques in the entrance to Chapel - but I guess it's far too early for anyone to have thought about that yet or to know whether any form of memorial service is planned. The funerals will have to take place first anyway. Perhaps your dad could keep his ear to the ground, Matt?
Kerren Simmonds
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I would imagine that in due course there will be memorial plaques in the entrance to Chapel - but I guess it's far too early for anyone to have thought about that yet or to know whether any form of memorial service is planned. The funerals will have to take place first anyway. Perhaps your dad could keep his ear to the ground, Matt?
I echo these thoughts, whilst its heartwarming to know that so many people wish to pay their respects it is still incredibly early days. I imagine it will be a little while yet before a service is decided upon.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I would be unlikely to have known, if not for the members of this forum that these fabulous men were OBs. So thank you to those of you who make it your business to ensure that OBs doing whatever maybe noteworthy and wherever they maybe doing that are noted within this forum giving us all an opportunity to share vicariously their exploits and adventures.

I spoke with my nephews, who are 17 and 19, on sunday, which is when I saw this in the newspapers; they called me when they saw the reports which mentiond CH knowing this was 'my' school. We talked about how very sad it was that young men not much older than they had gone so tragically, I said 'what a way to have died'. My 17 yr old nephew, Matt, said "Yes Aunty G but what a way to have lived".

I can think of no better epitaph for two young men with the courage to have made every second count, every moment interesting and every story an inspiration. God bless you.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

http://blog.sierratradingpost.com/podca ... 011309.mp3

I don't know whether it will download, but an interview given just before their trip to France.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Funeral arrangements for Rob and James

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hope this link works :-

To answer Matt's earlier question, it is stated that there will be a memorial Service at CH, probably next month

http://www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/64 ... 4899315.jp
Kerren Simmonds