Charitable status of independent schools

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

Re: Charitable status of independent schools

Post by Foureyes »

Amy,
You say "These charities have to demonstrate they are providing i believe a substantial benefit to the public....which is why the recent news about Eton increasing the numbers of scholarships/means tested fees places are shooting up-because otherwise are they providing a public benefit."

I am not trying to be clever, but in the last sentence above do you mean "NOT providing"?
:shock:
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

your quite right!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

blondie95 wrote:your quite right!
:lol: :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Sorry to be espousing, what appears to be the Geriatric view, but I repeat what I started in EXIT CH -- EXEUNT TRADITIONS
In my day, 1940-1946 (Ba B) There wa a "Glass Ceiling" on Parents' income, and ALSO any enrant had to arrive via an Entrance exam (If "Presented") or by competitive Scholarship.
It has been, rightly, said, what is the moral difference of 3% full fees, 6% full fees or 100%full fees ?
CH was founded to benefit those children whose circumstances prevented their Parents from giving them the Education, Nurture, Feeding, Clothing and Moral Start in Life, which they deserved.
In my time it was agreed that these principles, still obtained.
So I am an "Old Fogey " and perhaps an "Old F**T" --- but I am still grateful.
Does anybody REMEMBER the Charge ? ----- (Wot charge ? the Light Brigade ?)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Sorry to be espousing, what appears to be the Geriatric view, but I repeat what I started in EXIT CH -- EXEUNT TRADITIONS
In my day, 1940-1946 (Ba B) There wa a "Glass Ceiling" on Parents' income, and ALSO any enrant had to arrive via an Entrance exam (If "Presented") or by competitive Scholarship.
It has been, rightly, said, what is the moral difference of 3% full fees, 6% full fees or 100%full fees ?
CH was founded to benefit those children whose circumstances prevented their Parents from giving them the Education, Nurture, Feeding, Clothing and Moral Start in Life, which they deserved.
In my time it was agreed that these principles, still obtained.
So I am an "Old Fogey " and perhaps an "Old F**T" --- but I am still grateful.
Does anybody REMEMBER the Charge ? ----- (Wot charge ? the Light Brigade ?)
CH absolutly fulfills its charitable status and would have no problem showing its public benefit to the charity commission, however the majority of other independent/private schools that are charities by statue would have problems doing so.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

charities by statue would have problems doing so.
Would those be concrete or marble statues, Amy?

:shock:
Ed Mayhew
2nd Former

Post by Ed Mayhew »

Being a fairly laid back person I can take most things in my stride, but CH being included in a list of independent schools really rattles my cage. There is no way in hell that my father could have afforded my, my two sisters' and my younger brother's school fees had it not been for the seriously heavy financial subsidisation from the school. I won't stand for CH being compared to other schools like Eton or Harrow because the only thing they have in common is the quality of education, and CH contains none of the snobbery or class based preferences that are commoplace in the former two.

I am one of many who didn't appreciate CH whilst I was there but, having grown up, look upon it as one of the greatest priveleges of my life.
http://www.myspace.com/edmayhewacousticmusic

ThB-MaA-GrE

"I've spent most of my money on drink, drugs and women. The rest I just wasted."
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I am one of many who didn't appreciate CH whilst I was there but, having grown up, look upon it as one of the greatest priveleges of my life.
Hear Hear.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Ed Mayhew wrote:Being a fairly laid back person I can take most things in my stride, but CH being included in a list of independent schools really rattles my cage. There is no way in hell that my father could have afforded my, my two sisters' and my younger brother's school fees had it not been for the seriously heavy financial subsidisation from the school. I won't stand for CH being compared to other schools like Eton or Harrow because the only thing they have in common is the quality of education, and CH contains none of the snobbery or class based preferences that are commoplace in the former two.

Absolutly i quite agree! Its unfair to brand CH with the same title as other places like Eton and Winchester
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Like several CH people and more recently our Forum Friend, Mark Laichena, I was fortunate enough to win a scholarship that sent me to UNC in North Carolina. 4 other public school boys joined me in 1984 and they were from Charterhouse, Radley, Harrow and Dulwich College. Knowing how much school fees cost at these places and how much my mother paid for em at CH, I felt enormously proud to have made it and to show that CH is as good as it gets without the £££ thanks to the great values of the Foundation and benefactors...I never once felt inferior to the others or taht I could be comapred to their silver spoon chance in life...

By the way inmy first yeat at UNC there was also 2 other CH people above me in Year 2 and Year 4 respectively. How's that for success?

Indeed such is the richness of our CH education that in this scholarship award we have had great results and often stuff the others!!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Two things --- Firstly, my Father, a Police Constable, always complained that my Music Fees at CH were greater than the School Fees, Music fees were not Graded !
Secondly, --- My elder son failed his 11 plus, was a long haired Hippie, toured Europe playing his guitar, in Pubs and Clubs a real paid-up member of the suede jacket and sandals brigade.
He now lives in Switzerland, with his Swiss Wife, two children,one a lady Architect Partner, one a Technical Translater with two children, and he earns more money, as Controllor of computer controlled machines in a Swiss Watch-making Factory, than I have ever thrown a stick at ! !
Moral ---- never judge a book by its cover, don't condemn the "Thick" members of the class,to an inferior status ------
They may be your next Prime Minister !
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I see that the Times Appointemnts on Sunday was carrying an ad for Clerk.
6 figure salary is quoted....not sure that this goes with the ethos of CH but your thoughts are welcome.

http://jobs.timesonline.co.uk/advanceds ... &x=30&y=11
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

BTW, did not know that the current Clerk is leaving?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

CHAZ wrote:BTW, did not know that the current Clerk is leaving?
No particular reason why you should, Chaz - but hopefully the current Clerk does!
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

You're right but normally these things appear on CHA and for some reason this did not. There seems to be a little movement at the moment what with Chaplain, Michelle Sutcliffe and now Clerk...something going down as the Americans say?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984