Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

sport!
Deputy Grecian

Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Post by sport! »

OK, I was a goody-goody.......can you remember how many official punishments you incurred......

Suggested Scale 0, 1-5, 6-20, 20+

Me....

CANED = 1-5
CRACKED = 0
DETENTION = 1-5

own up!........
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Punishment Record - How Bad Were You?

Post by Richard Ruck »

sport! wrote:OK, I was a goody-goody.......can you remember how many official punishments you incurred......

Suggested Scale 0, 1-5, 6-20, 20+

Me....

CANED = 1-5
CRACKED = 0
DETENTION = 1-5

own up!........
If you were a goody-goody, how come you managed to get caned, then?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

a slight lapse of concentration........

..........perhaps we should distinguish between Headmaster's cane and Housemaster's cane - huge difference in gravity of offence
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CANED: 3 times

DETENTION: Probably about 10-ish.

(What is cracked ???)

MILES: 3 (I think)

1/4 MILES (Post Offices): About 6 or 7.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

cracked = gym shoe
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Think I had 2 detentions (both at Hertford) - not sure if we called them that at Hertford though :? Also had to sit at the back of the chapel with the school monitors a couple of times (that was considered a punishment) - think the worst one was standing on the dais in the dining room though. This was where Fatty M used to sit for her lunch and she has to squeeze past you to get to her seat :shock: Had to stand facing the wall with your back to the whole school! :lol:
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Richard Ruck wrote: If you were a goody-goody, how come you managed to get caned, then?
I think most people in Barnes B managed to tick the caning box after one particular Sunday when Bwana's flowerbeds were ruined. In the great scheme of things, perhaps not much "street cred" for that.....
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Vonny wrote:Had to stand facing the wall with your back to the whole school! :lol:
and did you get to eat any lunch, or did you miss out as part of the punishment? (cue jokes)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

sport! wrote:
Vonny wrote:Had to stand facing the wall with your back to the whole school! :lol:
and did you get to eat any lunch, or did you miss out as part of the punishment? (cue jokes)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes we did get lunch - we were allowed to leave the dais straight after grace and sit with the rest of the house. You then had to return and stay facing the wall until everyone had filed out of the dining room! 8)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

sport! wrote: I think most people in Barnes B managed to tick the caning box after one particular Sunday when Bwana's flowerbeds were ruined. In the great scheme of things, perhaps not much "street cred" for that.....
What was this, then? Competitive flower-arranging?

How did he become known as 'Bwana'?

Any ideas?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Richard Ruck wrote: What was this, then? Competitive flower-arranging?

How did he become known as 'Bwana'?

Any ideas?
basically the flower beds (which his wife had just spent much time and effort creating) were inadvertently trampled and destroyed during a mass game involving getting into the day room without being caught - hence some went via the windows at the front of the house

Bwana - didn't he take holidays in Africa? Rory will probably know...
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

Vonny wrote:Had to stand facing the wall with your back to the whole school! :lol

and did you get to eat any lunch, or did you miss out as part of the Yes we did get lunch - we were allowed to leave the dais straight after grace and sit with the rest of the house. You then had to return and stay facing the wall until everyone had filed out of the dining room! 8)
.....and did anyone dare act up while facing the wall.......standing on one leg or such like?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

CRACKED 26 times, mainly courtesy of the late B S Gregory, somehow completely avoided the cane though.

In my first year, as The Who put it, I ran for "miles and miles and miles and miles" also numerous "loops" and double miles.

Lost count of the School drills I got.

Only got a couple of detentions (Arthur Rider was one).

At least one Art School Drill for Nell Todd.

Generally got hauled up for fighting or mucking about at inappropiate times and other low level stuff.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

1 house drill....
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

sport! wrote:
Vonny wrote:Had to stand facing the wall with your back to the whole school! :lol

and did you get to eat any lunch, or did you miss out as part of the Yes we did get lunch - we were allowed to leave the dais straight after grace and sit with the rest of the house. You then had to return and stay facing the wall until everyone had filed out of the dining room! 8)
.....and did anyone dare act up while facing the wall.......standing on one leg or such like?
Not me :lol: