Hopeful Dep would like advice please

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

bookworm
2nd Former

Hopeful Dep would like advice please

Post by bookworm »

Hello , my daughter has applied to join CH and I can answer most of her questions, but a couple have me stumped. I hope you can help. Can girls (Deps) play Rugby ? The other question is about the kitchenettes, are they OK to cook 'real' food or is it microwave, kettle and toaster. Many thanks.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Hopeful Dep would like advice please

Post by englishangel »

Welcome bookworm, I have no idea about the answer to your question but someone (Eruresto?) will know.

Feel free to join in, there is a forum for 'Parents, past, present and future', and also on "General Chat Non CH" there is 'Latest reading matter'. You may have loads of other interests but those are the two I can pick out from your nickname and first post.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Over to you, Josh. Time for your councelling session, me-thinks !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

Many thanks, sorry for the delay replying, but I was sidetracked by the books thread :)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Oh dear, another potential addict! :rolleyes:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

bookworm wrote:Hello , my daughter has applied to join CH and I can answer most of her questions, but a couple have me stumped. I hope you can help. Can girls (Deps) play Rugby ? The other question is about the kitchenettes, are they OK to cook 'real' food or is it microwave, kettle and toaster. Many thanks.

If memory of reading The Blue serves me right the girls rugby team reached the final of the National Schools seven a side Tournament at Roehampton a couple of years back so girls rugby was certainly thriving then.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

Thank you, my daughter loves playing Rugby and was disappointed that she had to stop playing (no-where local enough to fit in with everything else she does)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I'm getting old!

"A couple of years" was in fact 2003!

http://www.ns7.co.uk/results/results03/Res03_gko.htm

They still enter though, just haven't been quite as successful.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Alice Goble
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Alice Goble »

In the houses on the Avenue the kitchens do all have ovens and hobs, so on deps she will be able to cook 'real' food. :)
The Grecians Pod kitchens however do not all have ovens, but they do all have hobs. It depends on which Pod you are allocated.
Leigh Hunt A 01-07
Grecians East 08
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

Many thanks.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Cooking real food! It was a "privilege" to be allowed to boil milk for cocoa!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

J.R. wrote:Over to you, Josh. Time for your councelling session, me-thinks !
Enter Josh

Okey dokey, questions questions! You'll have to forgive the delay in answering but there's been/being an upgrade on the net which resulted in it being down for a few days. But boy do you feel the difference.
bookworm wrote:Hello , my daughter has applied to join CH and I can answer most of her questions, but a couple have me stumped. I hope you can help. Can girls (Deps) play Rugby ? The other question is about the kitchenettes, are they OK to cook 'real' food or is it microwave, kettle and toaster. Many thanks.
There is a girls' Rugby squad, yes. They do fairly well, I'm told - though avoiding the game like the plague doesn't help the knowledge on that front.

Kitchens, kitchens...There is always at least one oven in the house, generally in the Senior Kitchen, though bizarrely LHA has one in the JC, or did last time I looked. But there's also your white goods there too. In grecians, one "pod" has an ovened kitchen which anyone can use to make food - and often do!

Welcome to the forum, btw. Having no life means I'm normally on here enough to spot any questioners!

Josh
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

Many thanks.
The next query is about Interview day, any tips would be gratefully received . We haven't got our letter yet so I might be being a bit forward but time seems to slip away very quickly.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Well.... of course, I don't know what questions she has already asked you, and what investigation she is undertaking herself, and it may be churlish of me to point it out, but I should think they would be looking for someone who is at least a bit interested in the academic subjects on offer, the approach to teaching and learning, etc etc, rather than (or at least as well as) whether she can play rugby and cook meals in house!

Good luck to your daughter anyway :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
bookworm
2nd Former

Post by bookworm »

Many thanks , the academic side is easy to find information about and the official CH site has loads about boarding life which with chats with friends who have sibs in CH have answered most of my daughters questions (so far :) )
My daughter thought that her current school did Rugby but then (after she'd joined) found out it was only the lower school that did so she wanted to be sure she didn't have to wait till uni to play again.
She gives me several questions a day to answer and I'm having the 'joy' of finding out the answers.