Dwain Chambers....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Dwain Chambers....

Post by J.R. »

........has had the ban upheld by the High Court and will miss the olympics.

A discussion for sports fans.

I have my own views, but would be interested in yours first.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Re: Dwain Chambers....

Post by CHAZ »

Modern day sport is riddled with doping. Just look at what's happening in the Tour de France. The Spanish guys have withdrawn and once again the Tour is veiled in controversy. Last year's winner was found positive months after too...

I guess that if everyone had access to illicit substances, everyone would be in the same boat. It is clear that the demands of modern day sport mean that the body is abused much more regularly and so in order to perform needs the drug fuel. You can't tell me that modern day rugby players or even Wimbleon stars aren't on something...there's just no way to survive so many matches at top level...

Perhaps the golfers are an exception??

So in a rather simplistic way, let everyone do what they want and then everyone is at least on the same playing field at the outset...

I used to take a dose of Dextrose before each 100m when at CH!!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Tragedy number one about Dwain is that following form and particularly that of this summer has proven that he didn't need to take it in the first place, he was good enough without it.

Tragedy number two is that UK are only one of three (I think) countries worldwide operating the lifetime ban.

Tragedy number three is that alas we have so few world class sportsmen/women anymore that the few that we do have are pushed to perform at a much higher level and more often than their training (and financial support) will allow, thus more injuries sustained more often, performance enhancing medicines or doping are then the resort and the gamble is simply on whether they get caught or not rather than any long term damage or benefit to themselves or the sport they represent.

Sorry, I'll get off now.
:soapbox: .
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

Living out of UK, don't get to see all the news on British Athletics. Still I agree that Chambers may have had a shout at something in Beijing as when I saw him in the past he was a uselful number...perhaps not as good as Lunchbox Christie, but then again that guy was blessed with a lot!!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Ooh yes, he was indeedy! :wink:

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I posted this on another forum before the decision was made.

This is difficult because Chambers' circumstances open a number of separate areas for discussion which mean that it is all too easy to lose sight of the main point.

Sports Science is continually evolving meaning that one man's training supplement is another man's performance enhancing drug or one man's legitimate prescription medicine is another man's performance enhancing drug. The line is blurred and getting more so. One could extend the argument and say that using a fibre glass pole rather than a wooden or metal pole in the pole vault is performance enhancing. Having a nice airbed rather than a small sandpit to land on is performance enhancing. Running on a modern synthetic track rather than cinders or grass is performance enhancing. Yet nobody argues about equipment improvements possibly, the cynic might say, because of sponsorship from the equipment suppliers.

Having said all that the above is a red herring in Chambers' case as the rules are presently clear in Britain that taking performance enhancing drugs is wrong and if caught you face a lifetime ban from Olympic competition so all competitors know, or should know, the penalty for doing it. I don't care what other countries do. Mugabe murders his own people does that mean Britain should? These drugs harm athletes and even kill them (Flo-jo Joyner for example). A responsible governing body will do all that is reasonably possible to protect athletes from the attendant temptations and dangers.

I therefore think the ban on Chambers should be upheld as it may discourage other athletes from exposing themselves to the risks arising from these drugs.

I think the decision would have been easier to make if Christina the 400 metre runner had been banned for not turning up to her drug tests. She was very lucky and Chambers, not surprisingly, is trying to exploit that.

The one good thing that might come out of all this is that the apparent contradiction between training supplements and performance enhancing drugs might now be properly addressed.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

So JR we eagerly await your firts impressions after the book from Mid A!!!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I have my own views, but would be interested in yours first.[/quote]

So JR what are your views?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Tragedy number two is that UK are only one of three (I think) countries worldwide operating the lifetime ban.
if caught you face a lifetime ban from Olympic competition so all competitors know, or should know, the penalty for doing it. I don't care what other countries do. Mugabe murders his own people does that mean Britain should?
"Tragedy number two" should have, perhaps, been a little more specific, in that what I meant was that tragedy number two is that we are one of the few countries in the world to have a lifetime ban in place AND with the bo****s to enforce it.

Absolutely agree that missing three consecutive drug tests should also have far more punitive actions in place than the current pathetic wrist slap. It really should not be difficult for an athelete and/or their trainers/coaches to organise for them to be in one place at a set time and be tested.

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Drugs are the scourge of the world, probably lesser so in sport.

My view ?

Get caught - BAN FOR LIFE.

I have absolutely NO sympathy, as I don't have for anyone sentenced and executed for drug-smuggling abroad.

Yer Knows The Penalty - Yer Takes The Risk At Yer Peril !

There- That's sure to offend one or two.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Yer Knows The Penalty - Yer Takes The Risk At Yer Peril !

There- That's sure to offend one or two.
Fewer than you may think, JR, I suspect fewer than you may think.
:axe:

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't agree with capital punishment as I have said before as a pardon doesn't cut much ice if later found not guilty, but I do agree, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Can you imagine if he won? He'd always be called the cheat that got away with it. Not that he has a hope against Bolt (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMRuOXdN6I). He should go back to Rugby League.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

He made an interetsting comment today, something along the lines of the court decision was frustrating, but also that bad things you do always catch up with you - quite modest for one who by their nature (mentally tough enough to be an individual athlete) is likely to be quite arrogant.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

I am glad he hasnt been allowed to go to Bejjing, what sort of example does it set for youngsters? Also does no one remember the american's over the last few years who have had to hand back medals due to be found using drugs.

He would have been a serious contender for a medal but he has to serve his punishment for his stupdidity.All sportsmen/women go into their sport (especially athlectics) knowing they will get tested for doping and knowing the punishment for doing so
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/