Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Liz Jay wrote:Hi Caroline

I know you said I'm excused but I feel so much more SECURE mailing to say I am a YES.

Years of nobody wanting me in their team for hockey/netball have left scars you know....

Oh Liz - I would have responded in exactly the same way. :(

Are we pathetic, or realistic, I wonder?

However, please rest assured that your name is safely and indelibly on the list :)

Thanks for doing all the (good) organisation, looking forward to the weekend!

I've done very little (except hyperventilate) for the past few weeks, while Kerren has been beavering away on our behalves, as well as putting the finishing touches to her birthday celebrations. Big thank you to Kerren - plus birthday wishes, as I may be offline over the weekend.

xx
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Caroline! I must confirm where you'll be and when, but of course you would be welcome to stay here prior to the pilgrimage to Hertford - and I'd be happy to share at the Travelodge if you can put up with me - I must focus now on this expedition now the date's not so far away.

I'm getting excited! Weirdly, I long to see a chapel cap again!

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
judy
2nd Former

Post by judy »

Hi
I have been making vague plans to come to Hertford on 5 April as I would really like to see people. I have only just logged in to this after several weeks of absence and see that you want firm commitments. I will be there if that is OK.
Judy Furnivall
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

judy wrote:Hi
I have been making vague plans to come to Hertford on 5 April as I would really like to see people. I have only just logged in to this after several weeks of absence and see that you want firm commitments. I will be there if that is OK.
Judy Furnivall

Hi Judy

It will be great to see you.

Visit to the exhibition is any time between 10 and 5 (museum opening hours), and completely casual and unstructured - although Kerren and/or I are planning to be in attendance from about 12.30 onwards.

Just need definite committment for dinner, as Café Rouge require a deposit by this weekend - sorry to request yet another email from you :wink:

xx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hi Judy, it will be great to see you. I always remember you with great amusement and affection though it was you who gave me my "most obliging junior tag".
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Yes please Caroline...(dinner at Cafe Rouge ). I will also stay at the Travelodge...a kind of re-creation of Sixes Upper Dorm...
I refuse to do do Yoga , upside down, hanging from the metal bars as unlike Mary Mc. , I am not double jointed and never got a "very honorary membership" to Sixes yoga club (although,in great pain,I managed to put my legs behind my head and almost put both knees on the floor in the lotus position which I could hold in position for ...was it 20 minutes ? )

I will PM you ,Caroline at the weekend.Thanks for all your hard work organising everything. I have been really busy (honest) .
Happy Birthday Kerren,and thanks.

Will be wonderful to see you all...and now Judy Furnival too :D
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Alex

If you - or anyone else - can't get booked in at the Travelodge I'm happy to share my room, it's a "family room" so space for another. Mind you I still haven't decided whether I should to bring a dog for company on the long journey down from York, and also to relieve poor DH who will be looking after all the animals including a litter of pups, as yet unborn, in my absence.

One less might make all the difference to him...he would probably rather I took more ... say half a dozen...

I'm disappointed there will be no Yoga and meditation but sure we will find some other entertainment!

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I also have spare spaces in my room at the Travelodge in Hatfield for the Saturday night.. but anyone deciding to share with me will definitely have to cope, also, with one little dog (who cannot be left at home alone - apart from the cats - for a couple of days....)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I don't know if I was ever double-jointed, but I can no longer get into the lotus position (I just tried and failed). But I still like to sit cross-legged.

I'm looking forward to meeting up at Hertford, and am very grateful to Caroline and Kerren for doing the organisation. I think it could feel rather strange, as I haven't kept up with anyone from school, and it all seems so long ago...
Mary
CH 1965-1972
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

MKM wrote:I don't know if I was ever double-jointed, but I can no longer get into the lotus position (I just tried and failed). But I still like to sit cross-legged.

I'm looking forward to meeting up at Hertford, and am very grateful to Caroline and Kerren for doing the organisation. I think it could feel rather strange, as I haven't kept up with anyone from school, and it all seems so long ago...

Lotus position? I have just come back from a trip to a vineyard which entailed scrubbing the soles of my shoes with disinfectant. Left shoe - fine. Right shoe? Gave up trying to rotate my knee and just paddled in the container.

It was all so long ago, and yet, when I read these posts and start remembering, I forget my dodgy knee, grey hair, wrinkles, etc and become a giggly teenager (mentally, at least). After a glass of red and a few Tim Tams I'm sure that the intervening years wont get a look in.

xx
Rohan
2nd Former

Post by Rohan »

I've missed a rush of postings, and hope it's not too late to book a place at the Cafe Rouge in the evening. What with this and a reunion at Horsham for those of us who left in 1968 (40 years on) it will be quite a month.

Thanks Caroline for organising this - I'm looking forward to it.

Rohan
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As Rohan has now confirmed I can now confirm too as she is bringing me. :D
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: I refuse to do do Yoga , upside down, hanging from the metal bars as unlike Mary Mc. , I am not double jointed and never got a "very honorary membership" to Sixes yoga club (although,in great pain,I managed to put my legs behind my head and almost put both knees on the floor in the lotus position which I could hold in position for ...was it 20 minutes ? )
Alex, you were excellent at yoga! You were one of the stars of that select group! You used to achieve a splendid lotus position in the cloakroom, sitting on the slippery shoe-polished bench under your peg.

I, er, um :oops: could not cope with the Lotus, having the wrong sort of legs. But I could do the position known in English as the Corpse. It required lying down. Then there was always alternate nostril breathing But didn't the yoga club use the traditional Indian names for the postures? Liz's book was a very serious one and I can never forget the picture of the nostril-cleansing skeletal guru. Or maybe the one that was swallowing long ribbons of gauze?

OM! Namaste! :prayer: See you in the dorm and we'll do some revision.

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I had another go at the lotus, but can only do one leg at a time, which doesn't really count. When my knees stop aching, I'll practise the corpse intead. I seem to remember that our yoga book claimed that the corpse was more difficuly than the lotus (the point being that total relaxation is harder than you think).
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

We can all do the Corpse on the Travelodge beds, that sounds like a barrel of fun and suitably non-competitive.

In order to achieve Total Relaxation it may be necessary to partake of sips of wine beforehand.

Do you think we will be allowed to handle the exhibits i.e. try on the chapel caps, or will they be dusty and slightly mildewed behind protective well-polished glass?

A schoolbag full of books to pick up would be Such Fun! Those of us who now have bad backs would all understand WHY??? though winding both legs round one's neck at regular interval I'm sure couldn't have helped.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68