Anyone In Your House With You Now In The Public Eye?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: RUGBY

Post by Rex »

sport! wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
petard249 wrote:Earlier someone asked whether Housie has ever produced an England rugby player? Admittedly some time ago, but during my time (1948-55) a mster named WPC Davies played for England and another master, Norman(?) Fryer, either played for or had a trial for Wales.
Kit Aitken (Housemaster, Col A) also played for Harlequins.
Peter Warfield (Rosslyn Park and England) was an assistant master in Col. B for a brief period in the 70s.......had a nice Rolls too as I recall, which a certain person threw up in.......
If we're on rugby-playing teachers, we shouldn't overlook the biggest name of all: Gerald Davies (Horsham Staff 1971-74) of Wales & British Lions.
Last edited by Rex on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

He gets included in my story about the fact that I have played in games with three rugby internationals.
I do finally inform people that with Gerald Davies it was touch rugby during a training session.
The other two were
Nick Preston who went on to play for Rosylyn Park (I think) and England.
And finally Jim Pollock who played for Gosforth/Scotland and the British Lions. (but it was Hockey that I played with him).
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Dave Elliott (ex-bandmaster) once played against the All Blacks when he was in the Marines. I think he played in a scratch team representing Ceylon (as it was then), thus allowing him to claim 'international' status.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:Dave Elliott (ex-bandmaster) once played against the All Blacks when he was in the Marines. I think he played in a scratch team representing Ceylon (as it was then), thus allowing him to claim 'international' status.
Friend of mine went to Ceylon years ago. He said he ended up with a nasty 'scratch' as well ! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Richard Ruck wrote:Dave Elliott (ex-bandmaster) once played against the All Blacks when he was in the Marines. I think he played in a scratch team representing Ceylon (as it was then), thus allowing him to claim 'international' status.
Heck, if he can claim that, so can I (international rugby for Ghana that is)

Julian - I can't see an explosion emoticon :!:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

sejintenej wrote:
Heck, if he can claim that, so can I (international rugby for Ghana that is)

Julian - I can't see an explosion emoticon :!:
Who did you play against?

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re: RUGBY

Post by huntertitus »

Rex wrote:
sport! wrote:
sejintenej wrote: Kit Aitken (Housemaster, Col A) also played for Harlequins.
Peter Warfield (Rosslyn Park and England) was an assistant master in Col. B for a brief period in the 70s.......had a nice Rolls too as I recall, which a certain person threw up in.......
If we’re on rugby-playing teachers, we shouldn’t overlook the biggest name of all: <b>Gerald Davies (Horsham Staff 1971-74)</b> of Wales & British Lions.
Is this post from the small but perfectly formed Sweeney?
oldbluedownunder
2nd Former

Post by oldbluedownunder »

huntertitus wrote:
graham wrote:There was a guy on my year called Leo Gregory who is an up and coming actor. I remember on our 3rd form he was in some crappy adaptation of a Danielle steele novel (or something similar). I've seen him in a commercial for a mod compilation :shock: and also in a made for tv film about a kid in juvenile detention, in which he was actually quite good (apparently compared to a young De Niro in one review).

I believe he is playing Brian Jones in an as yet unreleased movie about the aforementioned icon's life and death.

Not bad for someone who got kicked out on his UF, I suppose
Seems EXACTLY right that someone kicked out should play Brian Jones

If BJ hadn't died when he did I am sure Jagger would have kicked him out of the Stones
He did kick him out before he died.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

srcudlipp wrote:And in Lamb B we had Simon D'Arcy , who is now known as James Darcy. He's doing quite well in acting
I spotted him in a Dalziel and Pascoe, playing a toff student baddy. The eyelashes! The cheekbones!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

oldbluedownunder wrote:
huntertitus wrote:
graham wrote:There was a guy on my year called Leo Gregory who is an up and coming actor. I remember on our 3rd form he was in some crappy adaptation of a Danielle steele novel (or something similar). I've seen him in a commercial for a mod compilation :shock: and also in a made for tv film about a kid in juvenile detention, in which he was actually quite good (apparently compared to a young De Niro in one review).

I believe he is playing Brian Jones in an as yet unreleased movie about the aforementioned icon's life and death.

Not bad for someone who got kicked out on his UF, I suppose
Seems EXACTLY right that someone kicked out should play Brian Jones

If BJ hadn't died when he did I am sure Jagger would have kicked him out of the Stones
He did kick him out before he died.

..... but DID he die, or was he held under by the gardner !

That's a really interesting conspiracy theory !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Re. Leo Gregory, this link might help:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 545833.stm

gingerbeard
3rd Former

The advantage of having had two houses

Post by gingerbeard »

Famous people from my Maine B days... Nigel Farrell, Simon Keyes both already mentioned, Hugh Ross was in the news a few years ago as the Chief Exec of United Bristol Healthcare NHS Trust during the paediatric cardiac surgery inquiry. Rupert Thomson the author was there too.

In Peele B we had Roger Allam the actor, Bill King; Union activist and Mayor!

Others from my time but not my house ... Greg Strange, Vernon Joynson (author of amazing psychadelic reference books) and now the dementia is setting in....

Who am I? What was I saying?
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

Tayo Popoola is now an award-winning international DJ, with numerous records out.
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER