6.30am

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

at ch mum and dad have normal bin, brown bin for garden waste and two boxes one for cans and plastic the other for paper and card the two boxes are collected alternately each week.

Here in Kent out block of flats have a big bins for rubbish and no recycling so me and ben go to Tesco each week and do it ourselves. We put more in recycling than we do in the normal waste!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We have a green bin for garden waste and cardboard (but NOT vegetable peelins etc so we have 2 compost bins) and a black bin for all other waste. I use M&S carrier bags because they fit the kitchen bin, and you can tie the handles securely. If it is very warm the black bin gets a squirt of Jeyes bin powder.These 2 are collected alternate weeks. We also have a green bag for paper waste, and a box for cans,some plastics,such as milk containers and glass-Devon prides itself on the amount of domestic waste that is recycled.
Collection times from 7am (rarely) to 5.30pm, operating to no apparent pattern.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

blondie95 wrote:at ch mum and dad have normal bin, brown bin for garden waste and two boxes one for cans and plastic the other for paper and card the two boxes are collected alternately each week.
At CH we ( inside the ring fence) have one normal bin, collected weekly provided we remember to put it at the end of our drive - no such thing as recycling unless we do it ourselves .
Interesting how a set of gates and a few hundred yards of road can mean a completely different system! Perhaps someone can explain - as I`m sure I don`t know why it is so!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We also have a glass collection every 4 weeks and the paper/card collection every fortnight. Plastic bottles and cans go in two green bins outside the back door which fit nicely intot he car for the weekly trip to the supermarket bins.

Even if I can't drive, the nearest car park (about 300 yards away) has bins, also takes clothes and books.DVDs/Videos.

The 'Dump' recycles about 74% of the stuff dumped there.

Our family of 4 adults produces about one black bags worth of non-recyleables a fortnight. I have just bought our first microwave in 13 years so a weekend of cooking stews and stuff in batches then freezing it in chinese takeaway pots could mean that we have even less to put in the black bin. But what do you do with yogurt pots? Many don't recycle round here.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Our local council went over to fortnightly collection 18 months ago.

Household waste one week and re-cycleable the following week.

There has been a campaign in the local press because of the smell and magot infestation in the summer ever since.

If we want garden waste collected, we can have a brown bin which we have to pay for, AND pay for the collection.

What about the trials being carried out in Northern Ireland ? (?). Sensors are fitted in the bin, and the residents are charged on top of their council tax for weights of rubbish over a specified weight !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

just hit sensor with stick, should do the job
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
gemmygemmerson
Deputy Grecian

Post by gemmygemmerson »

In some parts of Berlin they have bins for different coloured rubbish and people spend ages sorting out their rubbihs into different colours. Then the collectors empty it all into one large truck. What a waste of time.
Deputy Grecian 07-09 Col B 31
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:What about the trials being carried out in Northern Ireland ? (?). Sensors are fitted in the bin, and the residents are charged on top of their council tax for weights of rubbish over a specified weight !!
Can they lock their bins? If not then I can just see Joe Bloggs from No 45 sneaking round in the dark & dumping his rubbish in No 43's bin.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Vonny wrote:
J.R. wrote:What about the trials being carried out in Northern Ireland ? (?). Sensors are fitted in the bin, and the residents are charged on top of their council tax for weights of rubbish over a specified weight !!
Can they lock their bins? If not then I can just see Joe Bloggs from No 45 sneaking round in the dark & dumping his rubbish in No 43's bin.
To be honest Yvonne, I haven't a clue but it becomes a sorry world when your local council sets up a bl00dy expensive micro-chip/computer system just so they can see what you're throwing out !

My last working years were spent as an L.G.O., so believe you me, I've seen political correctness bollox at its very worst !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

englishangel wrote: But what do you do with yogurt pots? Many don't recycle round here.

Save them,grow lots of basil and stash away loads of pesto in the freezer. Make your own yogurt-(I use EASIYO) and make a litre at a time in a reusable container.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Now there's an idea.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote:My last working years were spent as an L.G.O., so believe you me, I've seen political correctness bollox at its very worst !
I can well believe you.

I just think that if they start charging based on how much rubbish you produce (IN ADDITION to council tax which incidently now costs us £183 PER MONTH :shock: ) then it will lead to fly tipping or using any bin other than your own.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

It is not often that I think my local authority gets it right but they have made rubbish collection easier. At the moment all rubbish is collected weekly and not too early in the morning. The advantage being that if you have forgotten to put the bin out you can usually manage to run out using the vehicles reversing beep as a countdown
We have wheelie bins for normal rubbish and see-through plastic bags for recycleables. These clear bags are provided free.
The recycleables are sorted into paper/cardboard (no restrictions on type) - cans/metal (aluminium foil), glass and plastic - green waste (no cooked foods).
There are restrictions on some types of hard plastic such as yoghurt pots or spread containers. I do use these for the garden but there is a limit to how many I can use.

All the recycleables are collected at the same time and the final sorting is done elsewhere. In my area recycling has increased considerably.

The only thing in this whole debate, which concerns me, is what happens to the recycled material. Nothing has been recycled until it has been reused.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Our bins are collected after 9am on a Tuesday morning, so no early noise from them. The recycling collection however comes at 7am and is cr@p. They won't take plastic milk bottles, and yet there are no milk deliveries with glass bottles or shops selling the stuff in cardboard cartons. And they won't collect cardboard packaging. I've given up using it, and take all our recycling to our local depot (combined with a journey elsewhere).
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

gemmygemmerson wrote:In some parts of Berlin they have bins for different coloured rubbish and people spend ages sorting out their rubbihs into different colours. Then the collectors empty it all into one large truck. What a waste of time.
yep on my Alevel German Study Visit the youth hostel on each ladning had a long line of bins for literally everything! I could even recycle the cotton wool i had used to remove my eye make up!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/