Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Photos associated with Leigh Hunt house

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Leigh Hunt House Photos...

Post by jtaylor »

Thought it might be good to try to build up a catalogue of CH House Photos for future reference? Don't know if CH keep one copy of every one in the past, but we could build up an on-line reference of all houses/years?

He's a first scan of one of my old house photos. Will add more at a later date.
If anyone wants to add their own houses, start a new thread, and I'm happy to host the photos - just email them to me....

Leigh Hunt B 1985-1986:
Full size:- http://www.chforum.info/pictures/LeighHuntB1985-6.jpg

Leigh Hunt B 1988-1989 - the last year as a Junior Boys House:
Full size:- http://www.chforum.info/pictures/LeighHuntB1988-9.jpg

J
Last edited by jtaylor on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Is that Mr irby in those pics? Surely he wasn't still teaching?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

It is Mr Kirby, and yes he wasn't teaching then. I think he had connections with Leigh Hunt, and hence joined in with our house photos. I seem to recall he sometimes brought his Corgi along with him - a viscious little animal.
I had Corgis as pets when I was a kid, and loved them - but I'm sure he trained his to bite anything in a dark blue coat!
I remember putting my hand down to stroke it once, with Mr. Kirby warning me that it'd bite - I had confidence, and hence proceeded - but I ensured my housey-coat-covered arm was at the head end - the charming little dog sank it's teeth into my arm, right through the coat! I guess I should have heeded the warning!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

He used to stroll around the school with his vicious corgi when I was on my juniors before he passed away at the age of 406 or whatever... amazing guy, he even had his own bungalow built for him on the two mile ash road...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

weird... LHB with boys in it... cool! I probably have a few on my house photos from when I was there, but I dont wanna post tehm... kinda embarassing! Also they are in Devon... *sigh*
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

Mr. Torkington looks exactly the same 20 years later!
Lorrena E LHB
2nd Former

Mr T

Post by Lorrena E LHB »

How very amusing - have been abroad for a while and have not done anything CH-related for some time. Looking at the photos brings back memories. I recognised Mr T but could only remember his nickname...Mongy? lol
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice to see a later pic. of Rip !

The worrying thing, (for J.T.), is that I've only met him briefly once and yet I can identify him in BOTH photo's.

It must be the Oil of Olay, Julian !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Are you saying I look like a kid still, or that I look old in the photo??

Not sure which is better....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

J.R. wrote: The worrying thing, (for J.T.), is that I've only met him briefly once and yet I can identify him in BOTH photo's.
I've never met him but I can identify him too! :lol:

I see Miss Hartnett (Mrs Robinson) is there as well! The Horsham version of Miss Jukes but not as intimidating!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:Are you saying I look like a kid still, or that I look old in the photo??

Not sure which is better....

J
I'll have to give that one some thought !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Stan
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Stan »

Continuing the theme of house photos I dug up my old one from late 1968 0r early 1969.
I can't remember why but I managed to get practically everybody to sign their names on the back of the picture including the staff.
To my embarassment there are some people in the photo who I cannot recall except all the teaching staff. There is a challenge out there for forum members to put signatures to faces.

It's quite strange to go back to an old photograph, which hasn't been looked at for 30 years, and have old memories flooding back. Mostly good (not sentimental) but also some less so. :shock:
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

What a great photo of Bomber Nicholson!!!

I was in LHB from 1968 and it certainly brought some memoiries back (even though this is LHA!!).

I did 'bump' into Bomber in the late 70's and he looked just the same then!
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

hello Chris - you will find a couple more photos featuring Bomber on the first page of the Coleridge House Photos, both from the late 70s.
BaB, ColB 1973-80
stage crew
2nd Former

Post by stage crew »

Stan wrote: Continuing the theme of house photos I dug up my old one from late 1968 0r early 1969.
I can't remember why but I managed to get practically everybody to sign their names on the back of the picture including the staff. :shock:
I spot Miss Haigh (Matron) in all of these photos - meaning that the staff with sometimes the greatest longevity barely ever get a mention.

I remember Miss Haigh as really kind (if not a little stern), a story which shows her soft side is here: viewtopic.php?p=49099#49099

Does anyone else remember the thrice-weekly cleanliness inspection by Matron. Pyjama-ed boys queuing up outside the linen room waiting for their ankles, neck, ears and hair to be judged for signs of grime?

If dirt was found, a 'D' was entered in the register - followed by a hasty rescrub in the lav-ends and resubmission of offending limb etc. Rumour had it that if you got 3 Ds in a term you'd have to be bathed by Matron. Suffice to say, no-one ever got 3 Ds
LHA 75-78
La B 78-82