When Peele B used to win stuff

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Chammy
3rd Former

When Peele B used to win stuff

Post by Chammy »

In my junior days Peele B won everything, then they made the all-through houses, and we kept on winning stuff because of the seniors. in my 6 years in peele B, the juniors have been crapper and crapper at sport every year, and now we come last in everything!
I noticed in the new Lousey issue 15 a part on the peele swimming team... the swimming gala in 2004 was unforgettable, i've never laughed so hard in my life, peele came a miserable last and a couple of the team members couldnt actually swim! the swimming gala should be made a public event, it is that darn funny.
FRIDGE
2nd Former

Post by FRIDGE »

Yeah i remeber the days when peele were actually good in most sporting competitons
Fenix4500
2nd Former

Pocket money

Post by Fenix4500 »

Does anyone from Peele's Gladding era... Clares high pitch cry's of POCKET MONEY. They live on in my memory. And the great times had when Boadi was on green card, and gladding walked in in the middle of the Sunday night film, paused it and annouced "Kevin, this...is a forgery" Great stuff. Also, im curious as to how long second form bed times went back, i remember peele's was about 10 for second form, where as everyone else was around the 8:30-9 area. Then we went onto early beds one day and never went back, i suspect pressure was applied from the upper echelons of CH society.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Did Peele ever win anything? In my day, they were a one man team - Elijah!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i remember Southern declaring 'elijah' day a school holiday coz he got into the england squad.
at least i think it was him, we had quite a few successful rugby players so i'm not really sure.

so yes, something good once came out of peele. a point which we can be all too quick to forget.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hendrik wrote:i remember Southern declaring 'elijah' day a school holiday coz he got into the england squad.
at least i think it was him, we had quite a few successful rugby players so i'm not really sure.

so yes, something good once came out of peele. a point which we can be all too quick to forget.
That's right - the official reason really was because there were so many school trps and staff going early at the end of that term they gave the school a day off!
Frasercorsan
2nd Former

Post by Frasercorsan »

Last edited by Frasercorsan on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Oh dear! We never won much in Peele B. We were beaten by Lamb B in cricket one year - all out for less than 30! Rugby was a no no and football was just about bearable provided Andrew Field was playing. We were quite good at the steeplechase though - always was good at running away from people. Fraser - do you remember putting an injured blackbird in a bag and killing it with my hockey stick? That incident scarred me for life...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:Oh dear! We never won much in Peele B. We were beaten by Lamb B in cricket one year - all out for less than 30! Rugby was a no no and football was just about bearable provided Andrew Field was playing. We were quite good at the steeplechase though - always was good at running away from people. Fraser - do you remember putting an injured blackbird in a bag and killing it with my hockey stick? That incident scarred me for life...
FOOTBALL ??? FOOTBALL ??

The mere mention of Association Football in my day in the early 60's was almost like asking for a prolonged death-sentence, especially with a Housemaster like N.T. Fryer, who was Welsh and Rugby mad !

He used to tell us that 'soccer' was a game developed for girls and sissy's !
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Sorry to hear that JR but what with rationing and everything they were probably worried you wouldn't have the energy to play both sports!!!
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Know what you mean about football JR. Although Bob Hailey almost single handedly (Bob Sillett helped) developed the game through the sixties and early seventies. Iain Swalwell and Clive Walters both got football blues at Cambridge so they didn't do a bad job.

We used to play a lot of asphalt football in my early days using the drainpipes as goals. I ended up breaking my wrist as a result!

Have any of the younger guys (or girls) gone on to play at a decent level now that the game is "mainstream?"
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:The mere mention of Association Football in my day in the early 60's was almost like asking for a prolonged death-sentence, especially with a Housemaster like N.T. Fryer, who was Welsh and Rugby mad !

He used to tell us that 'soccer' was a game developed for girls and sissy's !
Well, as much as I hate to agree with a Welshman (being a Somerset boy myself), I think he did have a point there....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Frasercorsan
2nd Former

Post by Frasercorsan »

Last edited by Frasercorsan on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Please ensure that they are equally safe for those on the other side. Discrimination is now considered passé.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote: ***Snip***
Have any of the younger guys (or girls) gone on to play at a decent level now that the game is "mainstream?"
When I was at CH, we were traditionally very bad at football but good at rugby and cricket - well better!

This year's cricket team are doing very well - they beat Eastbourne for the first time in 29 years last weekend!