University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

Want to contact someone who's been to the Uni you're thinking of going to?
Old Blues - post here if you're prepared to offer advice/support to someone thinking of going to your Uni...

Moderator: Moderators

graham
Deputy Grecian

University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

Post by graham »

OK, so I am at grad school here and might not be too helpful for undergrad admissions (although I could certainly find out..)

I can definitley tell you about what an undergrad degree here involves though or what grad school is like.
Ben
2nd Former

UCLA- american unis

Post by Ben »

Wow, UCLA, ncaa championship finals (basketball). congratulations. I am in my Grecians year at CH and have been accepted at Providence college, Rhode Island. US applications have been a very tricky proceess and I have until the 1st May to accept. However I am still considerably short on the finance and may miss a chance of a lifetime! I have palnned to study in america for many, many years but substantial scholarships I have found hard to come by for international students. Do you have any advice on funding i.e government grants, bursaris etc?? I play basketball and have been talkin to PC coaches about scholorship in my second year but until then I have to find a way. Thanks Ben
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Wow, UCLA, ncaa championship finals
shame we got creamed. Nevermind!

Firstly congrats on getting accepted. I know exactly how tough it is to come up with the funding to pay for a U.S. higher education. But I think you should do all you can to get it - I highly rate the undergrad system here as it gives you a much more rounded education.

As for funding, there is Fulbright, but I think you may have missed the deadline for that. I also applied to a fund for studying in the US but they don't offer much, certainly not enough to cover a year's non-res tuition. I was limited by being a grad student, so you may find that you can get loans etc for you undergrad degree. Try local council or other potential sponsors, such as local businesses.

In the end, I applied to the BSB for assistance and they have helped me out enormously. I also got lucky and was awarded tuition fellowships when I got here. You will be able to work 20hrs p/w on campus during the semester/ quarter and 40hrs pw during breaks, so you should be able to find some work in a student store or restaurant to give you some income. Your biggest problem in the immediate future would be demonstrating that you have funds available for your first year's expenses, in order to get the visa(potential earnings won't count there). I would suggest talking to the BSB and trying to work out what you could get in other loans. For example, can your parents take out a loan to help with the first year's expenses? Also keep contacting the international student office to find out what grants are available for foreign students. Typically it is easier to find funding once you're in, but there might be something.

Feel free to email me if you need more help and good luck
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
curlyblue-eyes
2nd Former

Post by curlyblue-eyes »

Hi Graham
just sent you a pm

ta