New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

englishangel wrote:
Liz Jay wrote:>>And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Thanks Juliana, there's one I remember. Great huge clanking cross round her neck but she was kind and very interesting as I remember.
Blimey, I don't remember her, and I was in the same class as Juli.
She used to get us to write blank verse on various morbid religious themes, Daniel in Lion's Den and suchlike. I LOVED it because stuff like that came dripping easily from my eager pen (it still does if I let it!) and she was generous with her marks too.
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
jhope
2nd Former

Post by jhope »

Liz Jay wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Liz Jay wrote:>>And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Thanks Juliana, there's one I remember. Great huge clanking cross round her neck but she was kind and very interesting as I remember.
Blimey, I don't remember her, and I was in the same class as Juli.
She used to get us to write blank verse on various morbid religious themes, Daniel in Lion's Den and suchlike. I LOVED it because stuff like that came dripping easily from my eager pen (it still does if I let it!) and she was generous with her marks too.

I was very impressed with the fact that she was a Deaconesss - this being in the days before the ordination of women - though I was never that sure (and am still not!) precisely what a Deaconess was. Didn't she also wear a veil/headress of some kind? She certainly was a welcome change from Dot in terms of teaching style and very kind too I seem to remember.

Julie/Juliane (Bennett Sevens 65-72)
jhope
2nd Former

Post by jhope »

englishangel wrote:
jhope wrote:
Maureen Connor wrote:I think I was also confusing Miss Mercer(History) and probably before my time with Miss Marter (later Mrs Roxborough). in fact I know I was wrong because I went to check my old reports. I also mistook Miss Rutherford, who taught me English in about Year 8 (sorry 2nd form) with Miss Riddiford, the German teacher. Oh dear, the memory must really be going...how irritating!
So Mrs Roxburgh was Miss Marter (after my time) and not Jill Farrow - who incidentally did not, as far as I can recall, have particularly beautiful handwriting nor was she a diabetic. But I do remember that she was doing her PhD (in Far Eastern 19th century history - hence our rather esoteric A Level history paper) part time at Cambridge whilst teaching us.

I also remember Miss Rutherford - but as a French teacher - and possibly German too after Miss Von Stettin left and I also remember the name Miss Riddiford - though am very hazy on what she taught. She wasn't the "other" French teacher at the same time time as Miss Rutherford was she? Young and quite "chic" - possibly French Canadian?

And just to round off teachers beginning with "R". Who remembers Deaconess Ridsdale? A much more rounded approach to religious education than just the Epistles of St Paul.

Julie/Juliane (Bennett. Sevens 65-72)
Miss Smith was the French Canadian teacher, she was our form mistress in LIV and got married in summer 67 becoming Mrs Williams.

Juli, don't you remember when we did the entertainment and we did 'Heroes through the Ages' and Miss Rutherford's form had to sing French and German songs?
Ah - Miss Smith! Of course! So who was Miss Riddiford then - the name is very familiar. Maybe she replaced Miss Von Stettin?

But as for Heroes through the Ages - Mary - I honestly have no recollection whatsoever!! Were there any highlights I ought to remember?(was I even in it?) I do remember the sixth form (I think) doing a musical version of 1066 and all that ......." We're going home, we're going home, we're on the road that leads to Rome" which became something of an end of term classic

I can also remember taking part in ......Pied Piper of Hamlin; Hiawatha's Wedding, Carmina Burana (rather daring I thought!) and, in the Chapel, Stainer's Crucifixion - and I am sure we did The Messiah one year also? I can certainly still do all the various parts in the Hallelujah Chorus!

(and Mary, I am very impressed - you remembered how I used to spell my Julie without the "e". Haven't done that for years!)

Juli/Juliane (Bennett Sevens 65-72)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I remember my years doing Carmina Burana - poor Miss Taverner! She must have had a remit of every so many years a re-cycle of works, we also did Evensong at Canterbury Cathederal (gave teh choristers an afternoon off!)
we also in my time did:
Merry Widdow where I lent my actual silk kimono to Katy Simmons and never got it back - I s'pose it went into the theatre stuff! I was a bit put out though as it was reversible and very comfy... :-(
I'm sure we did loads of other things, just I got so involved in choir (every Requiem known to Man!!) and orchestra, and swimming and hated to do be on stage that I never orditioned for parts and peeled out of significance with every thing show wise.... I expect I was being naughty not getting involved, but hey ho....
We did St Matthew's Passion every year - one year I did it with the Bach Choir in London which was great fun..

better go and sort out my life here now!!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhope wrote:Juli, don't you remember when we did the entertainment and we did 'Heroes through the Ages' and Miss Rutherford's form had to sing French and German songs?

Ah - Miss Smith! Of course! So who was Miss Riddiford then - the name is very familiar. Maybe she replaced Miss Von Stettin?

But as for Heroes through the Ages - Mary - I honestly have no recollection whatsoever!! Were there any highlights I ought to remember?(was I even in it?) I do remember the sixth form (I think) doing a musical version of 1066 and all that ......." We're going home, we're going home, we're on the road that leads to Rome" which became something of an end of term classic

I can also remember taking part in ......Pied Piper of Hamlin; Hiawatha's Wedding, Carmina Burana (rather daring I thought!) and, in the Chapel, Stainer's Crucifixion - and I am sure we did The Messiah one year also? I can certainly still do all the various parts in the Hallelujah Chorus!

(and Mary, I am very impressed - you remembered how I used to spell my Julie without the "e". Haven't done that for years!)

Kay Scorah was Heracles (smallest girl in the class) and I was her "Never fear Mummy's here" (biggest girl in the class).

Lesley Smith was Captain John Smith, tied to a totem pole singing "Please Release me", Were you not William Tell?

In the Upper Sixth we did the 'Tale of Tutankhamun' (sp). we were having a meeting in 8's study when Lesley Bonham told a joke about an American asking the way to 'Tooting common" and ending up in Egypt. (say it aloud with an american drawl) I played Howard Carter and when I found the tomb lit a cigar (really) to the Hamlet music. (sharp intakes of breath from the junior ranks).

Lower Sixth I just remember doing the bit at the end of Morecambe and wise where the woman came on and said "I love you all very much". I was wearing a tight pale blue evening dress and long gloves which I started removing to the strains of " the stripper" before being hauled back throught the closing curtains.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:I was wearing a tight pale blue evening dress and long gloves which I started removing to the strains of " the stripper" before being hauled back throught the closing curtains.

Hmm - I'd say Mary nothing much has changed then???!!! Lol

I remember the Importance of Being Earnest - I saw the latest rendition with Dame Judi Dench - and thought her gentle query of "in a hand bag" rather a nice change from the stenorous "IN A HAND BAG???" from past performances.. Drama wasn't my thing, and as I considered myself crap at art didn't do the backstage stuff either, I think I managed to get out of all bar the Carmina Burana - which was choir mostly anyhow! (oh and Noyes Floode!)
:oops:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

In our day everyone pitched in for the year/house reviews.

Most were comic, the French and German songs were an aberration.
jhope
2nd Former

Post by jhope »

englishangel wrote:
jhope wrote: But as for Heroes through the Ages - Mary - I honestly have no recollection whatsoever!! Were there any highlights I ought to remember?(was I even in it?)

Kay Scorah was Heracles (smallest girl in the class) and I was her "Never fear Mummy's here" (biggest girl in the class).

Lesley Smith was Captain John Smith, tied to a totem pole singing "Please Release me", Were you not William Tell?

In the Upper Sixth we did the 'Tale of Tutankhamun' (sp). we were having a meeting in 8's study when Lesley Bonham told a joke about an American asking the way to 'Tooting common" and ending up in Egypt. (say it aloud with an american drawl) I played Howard Carter and when I found the tomb lit a cigar (really) to the Hamlet music. (sharp intakes of breath from the junior ranks).

Lower Sixth I just remember doing the bit at the end of Morecambe and wise where the woman came on and said "I love you all very much". I was wearing a tight pale blue evening dress and long gloves which I started removing to the strains of " the stripper" before being hauled back throught the closing curtains.
Oh yes - I do begin to remember - didn't Kay wear a large nappy of some kind? But I have no memories of being William Tell - my mind obviously thought it kinder to blank it all out! I do however remember the Tooting Common/cigar skit - Lesley Bonham had a wicked sense of humour - and I also have vague memoroes of being in a skit which involved me sitting quietly in the audience (on the tiered bit at the back of the Hall)) and then having to start heckling - though who I was shouting at and why escapes me totally. And didn't we also do a skit on Going for a Song?

BTW Got the old school reports out last night (sad! discovered I had lousy hand writing, was slapdash and "not scholarly" but was friendly with GSOH!) Miss Riddiford suddenly appears writing report for French for Summer Term 1970 (O level year) Did Miss Smith/Mrs Williams leave suddenly?

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhope wrote:
englishangel wrote:
jhope wrote: But as for Heroes through the Ages - Mary - I honestly have no recollection whatsoever!! Were there any highlights I ought to remember?(was I even in it?)

Oh yes - I do begin to remember - didn't Kay wear a large nappy of some kind? But I have no memories of being William Tell - my mind obviously thought it kinder to blank it all out! I do however remember the Tooting Common/cigar skit - Lesley Bonham had a wicked sense of humour - and I also have vague memoroes of being in a skit which involved me sitting quietly in the audience (on the tiered bit at the back of the Hall)) and then having to start heckling - though who I was shouting at and why escapes me totally. And didn't we also do a skit on Going for a Song?

BTW Got the old school reports out last night (sad! discovered I had lousy hand writing, was slapdash and "not scholarly" but was friendly with GSOH!) Miss Riddiford suddenly appears writing report for French for Summer Term 1970 (O level year) Did Miss Smith/Mrs Williams leave suddenly?

Did she not leave to have a baby?

I remember Miss Champion (on anothr thread) wrote that I had terrible handwriting, very childish. My dad had to ask me to decipher it as he couldn't read HER handwriting. To this day my handwriting is childish, and very clear. You can even tell who I am from my signature.

I still don't remember Miss Riddiford. 'Going for a song' gives the memory a little tinle. didn't Lesley B play Arthur Negus? Tha must have been Lower sixth too.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:I remember Miss Champion (on anothr thread) wrote that I had terrible handwriting, very childish. My dad had to ask me to decipher it as he couldn't read HER handwriting.
I remember her handwriting being pretty awful 8)
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
jhope
2nd Former

Post by jhope »

Vonny wrote:
englishangel wrote:I remember Miss Champion (on anothr thread) wrote that I had terrible handwriting, very childish. My dad had to ask me to decipher it as he couldn't read HER handwriting.
As I mentioned, I was looking at old school reports the other night. Miss Champion's writing was totally different to everyone else's. Big, black and bold and she formed her letters in a strange way - but full of character!!

Juli/Juliane (Bennett - Sevens 65-72)
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

jhope wrote:
Vonny wrote:
As I mentioned, I was looking at old school reports the other night. Miss Champion's writing was totally different to everyone else's. Big, black and bold and she formed her letters in a strange way - but full of character!!

Thanks for that, now I remember.....capital Rs in the middle of words!!!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Jude
Button Grecian

Handwriting by staff!!

Post by Jude »

Looking back on the report forms - of flimsy paper with a hole in the top righ corner - I don't think ANYONE's handwriting was that readable - it takes a while for the old brain to re-ajust....
try this out!
Srmat poelpe can.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

if you can raed tihs psas it on !! :lol: 8) 8)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Liz Jay wrote:
jhope wrote:
Vonny wrote: I remember her handwriting being pretty awful 8)

Thanks for that, now I remember.....capital Rs in the middle of words!!!
A habit I picked up I'm afRaid.

I tend to do it when writing MR and MRs, by hand.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Does that mean you sign your name MaRy? LOL!