New Forum Section - Hertford Memories

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

fivethreeone wrote:
Jude wrote:There was a bit of a whoo hah over the lack of rescus equipment and I belive that within a year they had a trolley and all that went with it. Sadly too late for Justine (I think that was her name)
Justine was a first year in 5's and died when I was in L6 (1978/9) - she'd been in the infirmary with a cold, I remember the ambulance arriving and not knowing where to go.
There was no road to the Infirmary so that must have been difficult.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
fivethreeone
2nd Former

Post by fivethreeone »

englishangel wrote:There was no road to the Infirmary so that must have been difficult.
Yes - it stopped between the steward's house and fives and was asking where to go but no-one knew who had called. There were no flashing lights or sirens which was odd - maybe because it was too late.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

fivethreeone wrote:
englishangel wrote:There was no road to the Infirmary so that must have been difficult.
Yes - it stopped between the steward's house and fives and was asking where to go but no-one knew who had called. There were no flashing lights or sirens which was odd - maybe because it was too late.
There was access - it had to go tot he back of the squash courts and gym, where the green double gates were - then it went down the back to the infirmary - All was very quiet, as at that time only Justine's sister knew, and she was being kept in the infirmary. The rest of us just knew something bad had happened... 5.31 - are you Helen?

It was a sad and shocking time - it brought home the certainty of death to us all.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
fivethreeone
2nd Former

Post by fivethreeone »

Jude wrote:There was access - it had to go tot he back of the squash courts and gym, where the green double gates were - then it went down the back to the infirmary - All was very quiet, as at that time only Justine's sister knew, and she was being kept in the infirmary. The rest of us just knew something bad had happened... 5.31 - are you Helen?
Yes - I still use 531 in pins, passwords etc! And you were 5.38 if i remember right?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

fivethreeone wrote: Yes - I still use 531 in pins, passwords etc!
Sad isn't it, if you came across my suitcase you could open it says 6.14!! It's ingrained for life!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Katharine wrote:
fivethreeone wrote: Yes - I still use 531 in pins, passwords etc!
Sad isn't it, if you came across my suitcase you could open it says 6.14!! It's ingrained for life!!
Don't even go there Katharine - not only do I still have hangers with my name on, clothes labels, but 2 suitcases with 5.38 and my name - even my ols squash raquet has it on.

Well done Helen - I had never thought to incorporate my CH number in a pin - I use a mix of the two "yung uns" and my birthday! I say "yung uns as they are now both graduates of teens and are classed as "adults"

Hey Mary Sarah got a B for Biology A2 - wasn't far off an A and still has more exams and coursework to go (...........said like that it's hardly a celebration really is it?)

Anyhow - folks check out the website - not spectacular as I'm still creating it - but on there are some reciepes - Yes Mrs C - scarily most of them are puddings and sweets and cakes!

Contribuitions would be most gratefully recoieved - you get credit on the site! just click on the house and www under this line of words!! :lol:
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

Not at all sure if this is the right place to post this as I haven't been here for a couple of weeks. Can someone of my generation verify the following? I remember Miss Mercer well, but I remember her better as Mrs Roxburgh, as she married whilst I was there. She replaced Miss Cole I think, (a rather masculine looking and sounding lady, who can't have been there long). Mrs Roxburgh was indeed one of the most inspirational teachers I encountered at CH. She taught us right through to A level and had beautiful handwriting. She was diabetic, I recall, pale complexion, with freckles. I feel pretty certain that she died a little while ago, however, but perhaps the early 70s leavers wouldn't have registered her married name.
I was also taught by Mr Watson (and Mrs) in the Sixth Form, and by Miss Rutherford. And I am convinced that Miss Wilson was Jean Wilson - anyone out there agree with me?
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

Have been meaning also to log my house number - 6.21. Alex was 6.17, I think, and I'm honestly remembering that out of nowhere. It's just struck me, but it could be wrong. Such a strange thing, memory.

Does anyone else remember what Sin City was? Just when one thought the regime couldn't get more repressive suddenly something would be permitted that was almost beyond belief. I think Sin City was the name given to this place by Pot (Miss Scott-Haughton), who clearly disapproved of the idea. Beneath the Science Block was a large cellar area where at the weekend in the evening it was possible to sit and listen to 'heavy' music at loud volume - Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix, in particular, I recall. I think I even remember that painting on the walls was allowed. The person I most associate with the place was Anne Bonfanti, who had a twin sister, Susan, registered on this forum, I think. Anne left when I was in the second year, in rather mysterious circumstances. I remember feeling very upset at the time, as I really liked her. In fact I think there were quite a lot of crushes on older girls....have we covered that topic yet?!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Hi Maureen - no we haven't got to the "crushes" on older girls yet!!
Mr Upton - taught Latin and was the vicar - remember him?

Miss Tavener - school music Director -
you are only a couple of years ahead of me - so we should pretty much have had the same staff!

Loking at this memorial service book for Sir Barnes Wallis I see the name Deborah Rice - Does anyone else remember her? Suddenly came into her own on the organ, was quite thin, wore glasses - I can't remember what house she was in - although I can name a few people

6's Leana Linigar Wanawa - she was from NZ! I don't think I will ever forget her name!! it's wonderful!

my year 5's (would be your final year)
Caroline Holt
Jane Newton
Laura Leigh-Hunt
Lilly Walker?
Seamin Jasmine Tahir (now known as Jasmine)
Susan Barker
Me

that's a lot of 1st years for a house! Trying to think of people who would have been in your year or just below - Carmen Williams (8's)
Margret Foxton (6's)

Brain has died.... need sleep!!
will try again another day!
Last edited by Jude on Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

You're generous in your couple of years!! But there are some names i certainly remember. Did Jane Newton have a sister in Sixes? Yes, I remember Margaret Foxton. She was Head Girl in the year above me. I wonder if you're thinking of Carina Williams in 8's? Actually if it is the same person I think she moved into 7's for her last year because 7's rather carelessly lost all their sixth formers one year. I used to see Carina in the holidays because we both lived in Sussex, and then we also both went to Durham, she to do music, and me German and French. Your housemistress was a lady with blond hair - but I can't remember her name. Didn't she have a daughter there? I remember she cut my hair for me once.
I was really friendly at the time with Lynn Ford, Charlotte Lycett and Jenny Moss, but have lost touch with all of them now, although still in touch with all my contemporaries from Sixes -melanie Newbury (Head Girl), Hilary Jonbes, Rebecca Ripley and Esther Polenezer. I would love to track down Lynn, Jenny or Charlotte. Any ideas? I've tried FR. I was also friendly with Rosie Patterson from 5's, but I think she left at the end of the LVI. She married a chap called Ken Brown from Housey who she met at a St. Matthew's Day ceremony - how romantic- didn't we all dream of that?- I think they separated later though.
I certainly remember your name from all those years ago because it was so unusual.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Maureen Connor wrote:Not at all sure if this is the right place to post this as I haven't been here for a couple of weeks. Can someone of my generation verify the following? I remember Miss Mercer well, but I remember her better as Mrs Roxburgh, as she married whilst I was there. She replaced Miss Cole I think, (a rather masculine looking and sounding lady, who can't have been there long). Mrs Roxburgh was indeed one of the most inspirational teachers I encountered at CH. She taught us right through to A level and had beautiful handwriting. She was diabetic, I recall, pale complexion, with freckles. I feel pretty certain that she died a little while ago, however, but perhaps the early 70s leavers wouldn't have registered her married name.
I was also taught by Mr Watson (and Mrs) in the Sixth Form, and by Miss Rutherford. And I am convinced that Miss Wilson was Jean Wilson - anyone out there agree with me?
I think you are confusing Miss Mercer with Miss Farrow. Miss Mercer was an older lady who did not marry. She and Mary thompson retired to live in Ireland. There is a piece on FRU by Maria Grogan who was in touch at least until 2002.

Miss Farrow is the history teacher you remember, she was as you desribe, a Manchester graduate so had a fur-trimmed hood. I was never taught by her but I remember her as wonderfully kind and gentle.

I certainly remember Sin City, but as no-one else had mentioned it I thought it was a figment of my imagination. I ssem to remember Alex as a prime mover of the painting but perhaps I am wrong.

And in 2's we didn't call them 'crushes', we called them 'cracks' (oh dear) I don't know if that was a school-wide thing.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Yes Mary, they were called " cracks" throughout the school - and I remember my amazement when I discovered that I had 2 cracklets ... who used to polish my shoes and run errands for me !
Not fagging, since they wanted to do it !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Right, "cracks" I do remember and as a new girl found it very confusing as there were certain "rules" to be followed, like they "had" to be x number of years above, and was there a maximum number of permitted "cracklets" or whatever they were called??
As there was peer pressure to be *cracked on somebody*, I selected the illustrious Judi Evans....and briefly became a devoted slave...what a strange regime.......but good training for being married/a mother (all that running around after them, cleaning shoes etc)
As a slightly older pupil I was privileged to have two cracklets, one was Anne Bonfanti and the other was Susan Elvidge, I don't know whether we were actually playing the crack system by the rules or whether it was more a drawing together of like minds, as I've just read that Anne B left CH early and so I believe did Susan E. Non-surivors all????
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

We had to write and ask if we could be a cracklet - it was very emotional! I was cracked on Luna? in 3's - great I don't even remember her name! I never had any cracklet - by the time I got to the age I refused as I felt it was demeaning.... (burn your bra's time again!)

I remember 5's house music was in 76? was very embarassing - it was a ballard, between man and woman and we all had to dance together and sing different parts... I wanted to do Because the night belongs to Lovers - Pati Smith band - she was a hit then and wore "seductive clothing" no bra just a ripped vest on back to front !!! Oh dear... age is catching up - we had one girl in the Dorm who was mad about the Bay city rollers - she would have been a 3rd year in 75....

Does anyone remember the school photo for that era? I was in the infirmary with tonsilitus - Matron told me to get dressed and go and stand on the steps for my photo - I hadn't washed my hair in days, and it was very windy - it seemed to take forever to get the photo done - a few kept sticking their tongues out ( not guilty)... but by the time I got back to the infirmary I had a rising temp, and ended up with a chest infection as well. I look hideous in the photo! :oops: :cry:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Maureen Connor wrote: Mrs Roxburgh was indeed one of the most inspirational teachers I encountered at CH. She taught us right through to A level and had beautiful handwriting. She was diabetic, I recall, pale complexion, with freckles. I feel pretty certain that she died a little while ago, however, but perhaps the early 70s leavers wouldn't have registered her married name.
I also remember Mrs Roxburghs handwriting. She did die 2 or 3 years ago now I think. I'm pretty certain I read that somewhere.

Wasn't Miss Wilsons name Margaret? :? Probably wrong there! :roll:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41