Prestigious Visitors!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
J.R. wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of insect bites.
Not sure whether any of the other OG here wore the summer Sunday yellow dresses which were brought in for the quartercentenary; they attracted greenfly. If you were ever out in them you became covered in green spots.
They had gone by the time I had started, we had ghastly grey pinafores as in the 617 girls photo. After midget's time . I thinkyou are the only one of your era here, Barbara is probably too young too.

I quite liked the look of the winter frock coats, I don't know why they got rid of those.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:
Katharine wrote:
J.R. wrote:Whilst we are on the subject of insect bites.
Not sure whether any of the other OG here wore the summer Sunday yellow dresses which were brought in for the quartercentenary; they attracted greenfly. If you were ever out in them you became covered in green spots.
They had gone by the time I had started, we had ghastly grey pinafores as in the 617 girls photo. After midget's time . I thinkyou are the only one of your era here, Barbara is probably too young too.

I quite liked the look of the winter frock coats, I don't know why they got rid of those.
I wish there was someone else from my era here, it is amazing how quickly some things changed - but others ....

Once you got used to the frock coats they were quite nice, and looked OK with the boys too. They were absolutely straight, the only shaping came from the belt. It was quite an art learning how to sew the collar on. I can't remember how frequently they were washed. They also had dress shields inside them to protect the armpits. I wasn't a wardrobe girl so don't know whether the dresses themselves ever went to be cleaned!

I did wear the grey pinafore in my last couple of years. We were not impressed when they came in, but were heartily thankful to be rid of the yellow dresses.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had dress shields in the Sunday blouses, tartan in the winter and blue and white striped or blue with white spots in the summer (blouses not dress shields). They were only washed at the end of the season.

I was a wardrobe girl in 2's and I don't remember how often things like tunics and Sunday greys were drycleaned, if ever.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:We had dress shields in the Sunday blouses, tartan in the winter and blue and white striped or blue with white spots in the summer (blouses not dress shields). They were only washed at the end of the season.

I was a wardrobe girl in 2's and I don't remember how often things like tunics and Sunday greys were drycleaned, if ever.
I don't remember the dress shields in the tartan blouses. I thought we rejoiced we would never see the things again. Also I think the summer blouses were only striped to begin with.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:We had dress shields in the Sunday blouses, tartan in the winter and blue and white striped or blue with white spots in the summer (blouses not dress shields). They were only washed at the end of the season.

I don't remember the dress shields in the tartan blouses. I thought we rejoiced we would never see the things again. Also I think the summer blouses were only striped to begin with.
they were, we didn't wear the spotted ones very much.

Perhaps it was only 2's who wore dress shields.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:they were, we didn't wear the spotted ones very much.
Think that the spotted blouses were worn on special occasions and maybe for chapel on a Sunday :? We did have striped ones as well which I guess we must have used for chapel as well - they were of course coupled with the gorgeous cherry reds.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Vonny wrote:
Think that the spotted blouses were worn on special occasions and maybe for chapel on a Sunday :? We did have striped ones as well which I guess we must have used for chapel as well - they were of course coupled with the gorgeous cherry reds.
with a linen-look tunic?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:
Vonny wrote:
with a linen-look tunic?
Yes - a blue one with a couple of pockets at the front - nylony material.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41