Death of Ben Sweeny alias Spoonbill

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Death of Ben Sweeny alias Spoonbill

Post by Rex »

I deeply regret to report that my brother Adrian Francis Sweeny, who was in Leigh Hunt B and Coleridge A between 1972 and 1978 and was generally known at CH as Ben, has been found dead at his home. He had been in poor health for many years.

He was a longstanding and at times controversial contributor to this forum under at least four names: Spoonbill, Chrissy Boy, Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog and A Dirty Old Jack. I think he may have been Martin Chuzzletits too. Much of what he wrote about himself was untrue, and the supposed photos of himself that he posted were not genuine.

I don't expect to be able to say any more about this for quite some time, but felt it was important to make the announcement.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Death of Ben Sweeny alias Spoonbill

Post by Mid A 15 »

Rex wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:44 am I deeply regret to report that my brother Adrian Francis Sweeny, who was in Leigh Hunt B and Coleridge A between 1972 and 1978 and was generally known at CH as Ben, has been found dead at his home. He had been in poor health for many years.

He was a longstanding and at times controversial contributor to this forum under at least four names: Spoonbill, Chrissy Boy, Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog and A Dirty Old Jack. I think he may have been Martin Chuzzletits too. Much of what he wrote about himself was untrue, and the supposed photos of himself that he posted were not genuine.

I don't expect to be able to say any more about this for quite some time, but felt it was important to make the announcement.
Condolences to you, family and friends Rex.

Sorry to hear this news, your brother was a fine contributor to the forum
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Spoony (Spooney?) did indeed have a robust set of bouncing bomb opinions which pleased some and infuriated others. Upon his return to the site after an interval I wrote a limerick about him which he responded to with one of his own. Here's mine which may perhaps serve as his epitaph.

Some welcomed the comeback of Spooney
While others still thought him a looney.
His cannonball shots
Had them covering their bots
And bulging the net like Wayne Rooney.

RIP
Straz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Straz »

I'm deeply sad to hear this news Rex.
My condolences to you all.
May Ben rest in peace.
Paul Strange
Leigh Hunt A 1969-71
Peele A 71-75
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

My condolences to you and your family.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
SandysJ
2nd Former

Post by SandysJ »

Heck Rex,
So sorry for your loss.
I had spent ages trying to work out who Spoonbill was but never got to to Ben.
Regards
John
LHB 70-73, THA 73-75
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Rex wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:44 am I deeply regret to report that my brother Adrian Francis Sweeny, who was in Leigh Hunt B and Coleridge A between 1972 and 1978 and was generally known at CH as Ben, has been found dead at his home. He had been in poor health for many years.

I am very sorry to hear this Rex; I do remember your brother from Coleridge A but, like others, I had no idea he was Spoonbill (who I thought might be someone else altogether). My condolences to you and your family.
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

My sympathy to you, Rex, and all your family for this sad news.
I didn't know him personally but he obviously took on your mantle for contributing to all things CH, and our lives are diminished by his absence.
It's good to see you back on the forum but sad that it is in such circumstances.
Regards,
Keith
5h17shoveller
3rd Former

Post by 5h17shoveller »

Rex,
I have only just come across your sad post as i had wondered why "Spoony" had gone quiet.

In 2005 your brother and I started communicating after he posted the following to Dick RUCK in this Forum.

" Did you name your dog 'Eric' after Eric Swatridge, by the way? (Whatever became of him, anyway? He had greatness written all over him.) "

I took that comment as a piss take, as I was not the brightest CH button in the box, actually the dullest and also the most dented one at the bottom.

Don't feel sorry for me, it was a fact, I failed most subjects and after exams, when attending the cloisters to check the results, I always started looking at the bottom first and found SWATRIDGE immediately or very quickly ! I always took it out on the numerous crane flies hanging around in those hot summer days.

My thoughts were that "Spoony" was probably not a boy from my 1971 year but maybe 1972 as I played sport with the squits for 2 years in 1971-1973 due to my very young age and being an U12 twice. That was a good thought as I was right there, but I could not prove it then, and no one else on the forum from my time seemed to be able to work out who Spoony was either!

Over about 100 emails, 18 years and talking about all sorts of crap, I only really established he was from the Brighton area, lived in Derbyshire, loved animals, suffered alot with his body and loved Punk not Prog. He never mentioned anyone in his family except for your father, but I guesss that was to also hide his identity. But everything he said may have been a lie, I might never know !

Now, thanks to you, I know Ben was not in my houses, not in my year, not a name I recall, so I wondered why he remembered me. I can only guess that I frightened the death out of him on a rugby pitch as I had a passion for hard tackles and even biting flesh to gain the respect of Bob Sillett and his northern roots.

Spoony kept me brain entertained for many years so I am sorry of his demise.

Barnes A 45/ Lamb B 9 71-77