Bernard Levin

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Bernard Levin

Post by rockfreak »

Did anyone catch the BBC documentary on Levin just recently? Fascinating. CH got briefly featured. Levin - small, bespectacled and Jewish - admitted to being bullied. But at election time he'd managed to hang a red flag around the clock on Big School. I seem to have heard another version that he'd hung it out of his dormitory window. Which is correct? Anyway, "Boom" MacNutt made a cameo appearance, being described as the terror of the Lower Fourth. I knew people who used to go into MacNutt's classics class in fear and trembling. Not me. I got kicked out of doing Latin after a year or two.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Bernard Levin

Post by jhopgood »

I have a feeling he died on my watch as O B editor, and the story of the red flag rings a bell. I thought it was from a window, which Wikipedia confirms, but we both might be wrong.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Bernard Levin

Post by MrEd »

Bernard Levin was a national figure in his prime, anyone under 50 has probably not heard of him. He moved a long way away from his early Bolshevik views as he matured, which was a good thing, and one to be emulated by some of this parish, one might hope. He was certainly the stand-out Old Blue of his generation in my opinion.