V-1 that landed at C.H. on 29 June 1944

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

conalhughes
2nd Former

V-1 that landed at C.H. on 29 June 1944

Post by conalhughes »

As explained elsewhere, I am researching the V-1 that landed at C.H. on 29 June 1944. In his post-war report, Mr Flecker says; "...and various buildings were strained."
I understand what 'strained' means in a dictionary sense, but believe this to have a precise meaning for architects and builders. Can any professionals in that area help, please?
Thanks!
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: V-1 that landed at C.H. on 29 June 1944

Post by MrEd »

I have no knowledge in this area, but I imagine that it meant that there was some form of structural damage from the blast. If it buried itself before exploding, it would (ironically enough) act like a weak 'earthquake bomb' as per Barnes Wallis's Tallboys and Grand Slams, the blast being conducted through the earth in a way different to the effect in air (and there would in any event have been an air effect).

At CH in the late 70s, early 80s, there were teachers who were WW2 veterans ('Killer' Fry MC being the exemplar), and the V1 strike was something mentioned, but I never knew of any actual permanent damage. The changing rooms were AIUI a 1960s addition to the boarding houses, as was the Gym in the Prep block.

It was a close-run thing, but to think that but for a gust of wind over France it might have taken out the chapel and those abysmal paintings...
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: V-1 that landed at C.H. on 29 June 1944

Post by Foureyes »

Dear Conal,
I am reluctant to spoil your research, but I have already covered this event in considerable depth. If you ask the Museum they have a copy of my research paper.
Cheers,
David Miller