Miss Gracie, Matron in Maine in the 1960s?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Miss Gracie, Matron in Maine in the 1960s?

Post by jtaylor »

I’ve been contacted by a non-forum user, whose tech abilities mean they can’t post themselves easily - they’re looking for info about a “Miss Gracie who was a matron in Maine in the 1960”.

Anyone know any info about her??

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Miss Gracie, Matron in Maine in the 1960s?

Post by Mid A 15 »

jtaylor wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:32 pm I’ve been contacted by a non-forum user, whose tech abilities mean they can’t post themselves easily - they’re looking for info about a “Miss Gracie who was a matron in Maine in the 1960”.

Anyone know any info about her??

Julian
Julian,

Miss Gracie came to Maine as Matron in 1966. She was a quietly spoken, pleasant lady as I recall with a slight accent, possibly Scottish but I am not sure as my accent identifying skills were not great at that time. I know nothing more about her personal background. There is a photo of her, within a Maine A house photo, from 1969 on page 2 of the Maine photos thread. Howard H if he reads this may be able to add more perhaps.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

All I can add, Andy, is that she stayed in Maine for c 20 years. Others might have a clearer idea.
I recall her as being firm and kind. All those bl**dy socks to fold!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Thanks - Any info about first name, whether she’s still with us, other contact details (by PM to me) would be great….
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
misfit82
2nd Former

Post by misfit82 »

She moved on to Coleridge in the late 70s, and was still there in 1982.
Ba A / Col B 1975 - 1982
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

I am pretty sure there is another thread somewhere that refers to her. Miss Gracie was a very nice women and I remember her well from my time in Coleridge A from 76 to 80. I cannot recall her Christian name; not something I would ever have had cause to use! :-)
Mr Alexander
2nd Former

Post by Mr Alexander »

Does anyone know the name of the matron who preceded her in Maine?

I have a photo of her her sitting next to 'Doggy' Barker in probably 1962. For some reason my Mac will not let me post it here. ``when I click on the image icon it just says Image in the text.

David Alexander
David (Grout) now Alexander
Maine A / Col A
1961 - 1967
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Mr Alexander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:27 am Does anyone know the name of the matron who preceded her in Maine?

I have a photo of her her sitting next to 'Doggy' Barker in probably 1962. For some reason my Mac will not let me post it here. ``when I click on the image icon it just says Image in the text.

David Alexander
Email the photo to me and I can upload for you, and add it to your post above…..admin@chforum.info
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Mr Alexander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:27 am Does anyone know the name of the matron who preceded her in Maine?

David Alexander
I believe her name was Miss Worswick. She was Matron for my "Squits" year and then Miss Gracie took over in 1966.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Florida Blue
2nd Former

Post by Florida Blue »

David Alexander
Miss Hayward was matron in Maine when I left in 1953 {if that helps}. See house photo Maine B 1952
(Prep.B/MaB. 46-53)