Congratulations To Joe Launchbury

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Congratulations To Joe Launchbury

Post by Katharine »

It must be very frustating being there but not picked. I noticed he wasn’t listed in the 23 for today.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Mid A 15 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:17 am Got to feel sorry for Joe in that he is not really getting much of a look in this World Cup. I don't think any other country has the depth at second row that England does.

Meanwhile let's hope England finish the job against Australia in the second half.
I do feel he is the unluckiest player in Britain. Gatland failed to pick him twice for the Lions, now Jones sticks with an idee fixe served up by former Saracens forward coach, Borthwick. England have done quite well so far. In the past 6 years Joe has won 5 M of M awards versus Aus and NZ. This is impressive. The counter-argument is that you must live in "the now". He is currently 4th on the rank. Barring a freak training injury his World Cup is over as I cannot see us defeating NZ next Saturday.
Shame really.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

He'll probably get the full 80 mins of the 3rd place playoff!

Agree with comments, a great player, deserved a lions place. If anything he's probably too nice a bloke for Eddie
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Hmmm, I can't help thinking that we'd be saying the same about Kruis or Lawes if either of them was the OB (I'm assuming we all agree that Itoji is a shoo-in). Joe is just unfortunate that we have great strength in depth in the 2nd row.

As for
Elvie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 am ... the 3rd place playoff!
shame on you, Elvie! Blasphemy! Have faith, man! (And perhaps pray a bit into the bargain...)
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Kruis and Lawes both toured with the Lions.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Breath holding time, me-thinks.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

So Joe misses out again...such a shame.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:50 am Hmmm, I can't help thinking that we'd be saying the same about Kruis or Lawes if either of them was the OB (I'm assuming we all agree that Itoji is a shoo-in). Joe is just unfortunate that we have great strength in depth in the 2nd row.

As for
Elvie wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:10 am ... the 3rd place playoff!
shame on you, Elvie! Blasphemy! Have faith, man! (And perhaps pray a bit into the bargain...)
I am delighted to be wrong! Still no chance of seeing Joe on the pitch in the final I fear
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Eddie Jones proved right today disappointing as it is both for Joe not to play and us not to watch him.

As they say in football though it's a results business and we miraculously got the result!

Bring on Wales or South Africa!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I learnt yesterday that no less than three of the England side, Farrell, Wood & Itoje, I think, went to the school I was at before CH, St George’s Harpenden, my father was school chaplain. I wonder whether this is the most in an England team from the same school, no brothers. Does anyone know?

Many long faces here yesterday, even though rugby is more of a South Wales sport, it was Wales playing!
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

That's an incredible statistic, three from the same school and at the same time. Surely we can't win two World Cups in one year???
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm I learnt yesterday that no less than three of the England side, Farrell, Wood & Itoje, I think, went to the school I was at before CH, St George’s Harpenden, my father was school chaplain. I wonder whether this is the most in an England team from the same school, no brothers. Does anyone know?

Many long faces here yesterday, even though rugby is more of a South Wales sport, it was Wales playing!
For 'Wood' read 'Ford.'

An amazing statistic. The closest I can get off the top of my head is Rory Underwood, Tony Underwood and Rob Andrew all from Barnard Castle School Durham. I believe they played together when the late Jonah Lomu beat us on his own in 1995. The Underwoods of course are brothers.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the correction, I was thinking Ford but my fingers weren't!

I learnt about it when the MP for Harpenden was on some political programme and was congratulated for "Harpenden's win in the World Cup", he explained the comment before going on to talk about other things.

St George's won the first ever Public Schools Sevens, but I don't know that they have distinguished themselves since at rugby. I haven't really kept up with the school considering that CH shaped me more!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

I think they were all part of the Saracens Academy, who sponsored their place at St George’s, IIRC Harrow had a similar arrangement with Wasps until they moved to Coventry.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm I learnt yesterday that no less than three of the England side, Farrell, Wood & Itoje, I think, went to the school I was at before CH, St George’s Harpenden, my father was school chaplain. I wonder whether this is the most in an England team from the same school, no brothers. Does anyone know?
Apparently, Katharine, there is a fourth from your school in the team; I don't have a name unfortunately. I was hearing about three from another school of whom two are brothers
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!