Morbid, but...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:
Nyort wrote:Owch. Poor guy. Whereabouts is the 1st XV pitch (am I right in guessing it's the one by Peele pitches? I'm not of the sporting persuasion, so I wouldn't know)
As that`s the only point where the railway runs near the school grounds............ where else would there be a railway crossing on school land???
Driving past C.H. the other day, I saw a sign saying, "HEAVY PLANT CROSSING." Waited for 5 minutes. Not even a large Yucca. What a waste of time.

Looks like we're back to the Great C.H. Train Crash of the 60's thread. Human/Points error. Hence my post re:- the crossing and a subsequent 'suicide'.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Mrs C. wrote:As that`s the only point where the railway runs near the school grounds............ where else would there be a railway crossing on school land???
The present first XV pitch used to be the colts XV pitch. The first XV pitch being further round the mile, just past the Bird Sanctuary on the right hand side. It was use for hockey pitches during the summer.
Memory may fail a little, but in the days when the Brighton slacker was still running, I seem to remember that the line divided just past the level crossing where the accident took place. It was possible to go through the Bird Sanctuary, over the fence and down on to the Brighton Line, up to the middle part and then down and over the Littlehampton line. I can't remember whether there was a proper gate and crossing, but I must have been across there more than once. It was also where we "reclaimed" fencing to be used in the assualt course the RE was supposed to constructing in the Bird Sanctauary.
With respect to the Morbid topic, I remember getting back to CH after a summer break to be told that one of the master's teenage son's had had an accident going across the asphalt behind Barnes on his bike, and smashing into the fives courts wall.He hit his head but whether it was fatal or not, I cannot recall.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: With respect to the Morbid topic, I remember getting back to CH after a summer break to be told that one of the master's teenage son's had had an accident going across the asphalt behind Barnes on his bike, and smashing into the fives courts wall.He hit his head but whether it was fatal or not, I cannot recall.
Not surprising if he had been watching bicycle polo which we played on the asphalt behind Colerige and Middleton - now that was a dangerous game
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Rick Slater was my squit, and although he died in his Grecians when I had already gone to Uni, there was a definite sense of shock amongst those who were still at CH or had left the previous year as to what happened and why. No doubt many others know why or have their own thoughts, and don't bother asking - as a previous poster has said, it is not really a subject for a public board.

As noted before, he was an extremely talented musician - his teacher from the Royal Academy in London played Nimrod by Elgar at his funeral, which was held in the school Chapel, during the Easter Hols, followed by a sombre afternoon in the Bax with former and current pupils.

Without wanting to denigrate Rick, there were other's who unfortunatley passed on in the eighties - James Jowett died of a brain tumour in his Grecians, and there was another guy (Bill ...?) who fell to complications with Cystic Fibrosis just before Christmas 85, I think in his deps year.

It is always important to remember absent friends.........
sejintenej
Button Grecian

James Funnell (missing in Folkestone area)

Post by sejintenej »

I see J.R.'s question was not answered so I'll put it here.

The disappearance of James Funnell seems to have been broadcast as widely as possible in Blue circles ; has anybody seen any further news?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

JAMES FUNNELL

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

sejintenej wrote:The disappearance of James Funnell seems to have been broadcast as widely as possible in Blue circles ; has anybody seen any further news?
I passed it on to Rowena, the BSB administrator, who promised to speak to the relevant BSB officer. She said that she would let me know if there were any developments, but have heard nothing since. I do not know whether he is still missing or not. I am told by police friends that this sort of disappearance is not unknown.
cj
Button Grecian

Re: Morbid, but...

Post by cj »

Great Plum wrote:
jtaylor wrote:
srcudlipp wrote: R A Slater would be Rick Slater. I had the good fortune of being at CH with Rick in the eighties. He was indeed bandmaster, an extreemely talented Trumpet player. He was also an all round top guy, and is still sorely missed by all those who knew him. RIP Rick :cry:
Do you mean Band Captain, rather than Master?

I remember Rick a little - he was a couple of years above me at CH.
He featured in the live Rememberance Sunday Service from CH in 1989/90(?) and did a stunning Last Post from the arch above the Avenue, between Chapel and Dining Hall.
I've got a DVD copy of it that I made from a VHS - he truly was a tragic loss, such a talented a likeable chap.

J
I remember the Speech Day after his death - i was only 9 at the time and Dad took me to CH for a Speech Day - I remember the Oration by the SG - sounds tragic
Have only just found this thread. Glad to see that people remember and talk about Rick. The whole episode was particularly awful and his death highlighted a lot of failings in the school system. Many of his contemporaries from his Grecians year (1990), and others who were close to him, had a very difficult time for the few months left at school subsequently and afterwards in the 'real world'. I always got the feeling that the school wanted to forget about it which, of course, is impossible and extremely unhealthy. Suicide is a terribly difficult subject to get your head round and unfortunately the school was not equipped to deal with it. Hope that's changed.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

CJ...

Many of the older members of staff, JDS and FRP spring to mind, used to talk about this incident...

JDS pinpointed this tragic death as a big change in how Christ's Hosptial was run...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I'm glad to hear that changes were instigated after Rick's death. Were the new Grecians houses part of that? I personally think it's much better to put them (as 'young adults', without wishing to sound patronising!) in separate houses to get on with their own thing. And a little more personal, human contact with staff (or non-staff) without lectures on "you should be doing more work/less extra-curricular" etc. The ripple effect was enormous and I think that everyone was riddled with their own personal feelings of guilt too. But that's very common with suicide. It certainly was black 'day' in the history of the school.

hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by hoob »

I remember being absolutely stunned about Rick - hearing it whilst away at uni via tabloid press

I agree with Craig however, a number of pupils passed away in the 80's - car accidents abroad, CF, illness (i can think of 6?) - They, as well as those from other decades should all be remembered.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

hoob wrote:hearing it via tabloid press
Same here.
I remember being shocked at the news - even though I didn't know him personally I did know who he was.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

hoob wrote:tabloid press
The press certainly enjoyed reporting it.

FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

I remember the whole day vividly. We were in lessons after morning break and the chapel bell started to toll. Eventually someone came around all the classrooms telling us to go direct to the chapel where the announcement was made.

His passing profoundly affected every single person at the school because pretty much everyone knew Rick. He did such a good job of looking after everyone else that no one thought he might need a bit of reciprocal support. It was a terrible day.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

FrogBoxed wrote:I remember the whole day vividly. We were in lessons after morning break and the chapel bell started to toll. Eventually someone came around all the classrooms telling us to go direct to the chapel where the announcement was made.

His passing profoundly affected every single person at the school because pretty much everyone knew Rick. He did such a good job of looking after everyone else that no one thought he might need a bit of reciprocal support. It was a terrible day.
It was second or third period that we were told and I remember then going and sitting in the pitches somewhere with a handful of others - no one, or certainly the Grecians, went to the classes before lunch and there was no parade at lunch.

That night someone put two candles at the crossing and miraculously they burnt right through the night.

A sad day for all and a great loss to society really - he was certainly one of the more popular students in the school.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

I knew Rick as I was in the year above him in Mid A and it was such an odd time even for those not at the school anymore, I can't begin to imagine what it was like for those on his year or at the school at the time. A group of us did go to the school the next day and well it was as you'd expect it to be only amplified. It affected a lot of people and I still do think of him every now and then. That's it, as others have said I won't go into it more but wanted to say something.