Why Do OBs Not Field a Team in the Arthurian League?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Why Do OBs Not Field a Team in the Arthurian League?

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Being sort of backward, I'd never heard of the Arthurian League until today, though I have no doubt at all that the deeply sad sport-crazed nerds amongst us will already be well aware of the said football league. According to Wikipedia, it's an English association football league for teams consisting of old boys of public schools. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthurian_League

It consists of a Premier Division, a Division One, a Division Two, a Division Three, a Division Four, a Division Five North and a Division Five South. Some of the schools are represented by up to four different teams in the different divisions - and yet there are no Old Blues teams at all, which is kind of embarrassing really, because it makes us look like poor relations.

While the information on Wikipedia only relates to the period up to 2015, the League's own website makes it abundantly clear that it's most definitely still up and running. http://www.arthurianleague.co.uk/

So how can it be that whilst there are teams representing even some of our obscurer public schools, there are no ex-CH teams at all? Was there ever a CH team?

Please explain this to my tiny brain.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Why Do OBs Not Field a Team in the Arthurian League?

Post by Mid A 15 »

Representatives of OBAFC have posted on the forum previously so perhaps they will again in answer to your question.

However to the best of my (very limited) knowledge OBAFC participates in the Southern Amateur League and runs three teams.

The Club has only been in existence since 2011.

http://www.southernamateurleague.co.uk/old-blues.html
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Going back in time CH winter sport was rugby so it would be logical for there to be a CH OB team or three. Certainly they had a pitch but whenever I used to go there it was always locked up, dead. I went elsewhere
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Bob Hailey was in charge of soccer in the 70s and I remember Ken Grimshaw being of a similar mind.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Where's Gavin Hunt when you need him?

In his absence, I nominate JR as goalkeeper. I'm sure he has what it takes (flat cap, knee-length shorts, bushy moustache, pipe etc.)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

richardb wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm Bob Hailey was in charge of soccer in the 70s and I remember Ken Grimshaw being of a similar mind.
Bob Hailey single handedly flew the Association Football (soccer) flag during the sixties and early seventies.

I left in 1972 and there were no School teams and fixtures back then although Bob Hailey ran what could be described as a soccer club for many years very effectively although, to the best of my knowledge, it was never described as such. People turned up and played in an informal kickabout within which Bob Hailey also usually participated. In my final year I think there was an inter house soccer competition but my memory might be playing tricks!

Despite the lack of formal fixtures at that time however it should be mentioned that two Old Blues, Clive Walters and Iain Swalwell (?spelling,) were both good enough to attain 'Blues' for soccer at Cambridge University by being selected for the varsity match against Oxford. That would have been c 1974/5.

I don't know exactly when soccer became a 'formal' sport at CH with inter school fixtures but it is not surprising, with increased attendance at universities etc and thus conflicting playing allegiances, that it took until 2011 for sufficient numbers of soccer playing Old Blues to be available to form a club.

Credit to the founders of Old Blues AFC and I wish the Club every success.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Spoonbill wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm Where's Gavin Hunt when you need him?

In his absence, I nominate JR as goalkeeper. I'm sure he has what it takes (flat cap, knee-length shorts, bushy moustache, pipe etc.)
Thanks for your support Spoony. I shall wear it at all times.

I have played in goal, refereed, been an official within the Combined Counties League, but at 71, with fast failing health, I'm afraid it's out of the question now.

As far as OBFC is concerned, I contacted them twice around their time of their conception, offering what help and experience I could. I received NO replies whatsoever, so I image they only play a game when they feel like bothering to turn up !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

J.R. wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:01 pm ....with fast failing health, I'm afraid it's out of the question now.

Me too. If I tried playing football these days, I'd probably need an air ambulance within five minutes of the match commencing.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Spoonbill wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:52 pm Where's Gavin Hunt when you need him?
In France, I believe. It's all the rage, you know. And you don't have to be an ex-pat British pervert to live there, either.