Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by rockfreak »

sejintenej wrote:
rockfreak wrote:Back to the Politics site, and, guess what? Freaky's done it again. Lead letter in today's Guardian (9 January, "Economics must return to its founding principles").
Sounds nonsense to me. Economics is the study of how and why economic/financial things happen it is not a set of principles. OK so many famous people have suggested that if A is done then various forms of B, C and D will follow but in practive there are 1001 other factors which stop that result. I had economics as one of the subjects in my professional exams and it was then confusing. Now ......
rockfreak wrote:Then Mr RA ("OK, Alright") Hewitt caught me with my head in the sports pages of one of the populars and suggested I take an interest in serious news and directed me towards the Times. This of course was in the days when it was independent.
Kit did that to me but the paper available was the Telegraph (and, of course, the famous headline edition of the Daily Mirror). Later I read the Times front page to see to whom I should send congratulations or commiserations.[/quote

If you'd actually read my letter Sejintenej you'd see that this is exactly what I'm saying: that today's fancy mathematical models simply fail to get the wider picture and that people today are not reading economics history which might give them some pointers. Indeed I believe that economics students across the country are protesting about just this issue. By the way, you can access a selection of my wit and wisdom on these matters (and some others) by Googling "Guardian, Letters, David Redshaw".
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

So, the Maybot has spoken and set our her stall. As far as one can understand it (and I struggled) it sounded to me suspiciously like having one's cake and eating it. A French journalist has replied in the Guardian online this evening and opined that May's arrogance and assumptiveness are a typical result of the English public school system. Even though of course the Maybot was grammar (as was Mrs Thatcher). But bossiness and arrogance die hard in an old colonial nation. And the ability of the English public schools to teach their pupils how to say one thing one minute and another the next (otherwise known as "white man speak with forked tongue") is legendary. It trickles down to all classes. This is perhaps why we are so successful in the world of advertising (in which I worked for a few years after leaving school). To say nothing of Bullingdon Boris's ability to alienate everyone in sight.
When I was growing up we were still an industrial powerhouse. Now, we are apparently about to become the Cayman Islands. Dear oh dear. Will Banker Brown be allowed back into France to reclaim his chateau and vineyards? Or will gleeful French peasants have drunk the lot and be rolling around shouting: "Death to Les Rosbifs"?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote:. Will Banker Brown be allowed back into France to reclaim his chateau and vineyards? Or will gleeful French peasants have drunk the lot and be rolling around shouting: "Death to Les Rosbifs"?
You are equating the "outside Paris" French to a UK football crowd baying for blood. Too typical a reaction from those who know little of the attitudes there. Decades back for the first time I went into the local (packed) bar and England were lashing Les Bleus at rugby in the Stade de France, Paris on TV. Nervous, yes, but no way was I going to flee! After the game they were buying me drinks because they reckoned the English played better that the French - that is "attitude".

"allowed back" - don't anticipate a problem - I got on well with the local Gendamerie and CRS (remember them in the 1960's?) and in any case the border is as porous as a watering can spout. As for "reclaiming my chateau" - never had one to reclaim - only a farm "and vinyards" - sorry, only one over the door and those were not dessert grapes. We did have ceps (porcini) which are sold in London at £75 a kilo and I have the inalienable right to collect three kilos a day in perpetum. Oh, and don't forget that my final salary was probably less than you got in advertising and I never got a bonus.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

On the other hand leaving the EU is quite an interesting experiment which I am sure will be followed closely by millions of Euro sceptics in other European lands. Not really being affected by the country leaving it is quite pleasant to sit on the side-line and watch. First Thatcher and now May...what has happened to the English male?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

time please wrote: First Thatcher and now May...what has happened to the English male?
One could say the same of Herr Deutschland, Herr Sverige; Latvia and many more. It came pretty close in the USA. It's called equality (in idiocy)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

Apart from the fact that Sweden has never had a female prime minister. Which is a shame because women make better leaders.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

How so?
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

Well I suppose you could say that the male population has since the dawn of time steered the world and look where we are now.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have a sneaky feeling Theresa May might be a good PM, as long as she doesn't do a 'Maggie' over something like 'Poll Tax' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:I have a sneaky feeling Theresa May might be a good PM, as long as she doesn't do a 'Maggie' over something like 'Poll Tax' !
I don't think Soros agrees.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

time please wrote:Well I suppose you could say that the male population has since the dawn of time steered the world and look where we are now.
It's hard to disagree with that on the day that the US returns an utter **** as the leader of the free world. But in my view one of the facets of Women's Liberation is to be happy in the fact that in leadership terms, Men and Women are probably equally blessed.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

The Maybot is so called by John Crace, the Parliamentary sketch writer in the Guardian. He's noticed that she appears plausible until someone asks her a searching question. Then she starts whirring and clicking like a Dalek, the pre-programmed software in her head boots up, and she starts delivering platitudes. Like: "We...will...have...a...red...white...and...blue...solution..." And then she whirrs and clicks a bit more, spins and glides off into the darkness. Cue Dr Who closing theme music.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Brilliant turnout for today's Women's March in London (all genders welcome before you ask). Lots of pussy references on posters. Mrs Slocombe would have been spoilt for choice.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Quite agree!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jan mentioned it to me. Was this an 'Anti-Trumpton' rally ? If so - GOOD !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.