CH Trivia

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

........allegedly!!! :lol:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Richard Ruck wrote:........allegedly!!! :lol:
Anyone care to analyse why every thread on this forum, regardless of initial intent, seems to rapidly gyrate toward smut ? What does it say about our as a social sub-category? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Euterpe13 wrote:
Anyone care to analyse why every thread on this forum, regardless of initial intent, seems to rapidly gyrate toward smut ? What does it say about our as a social sub-category? :lol: :lol: :lol:
That we are all normal, well educated people ???????????????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Anyone care to enlighten me about 'The Blue'?

What's in it, how often is it published etc etc...?

Many thanks :)
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Euterpe13 wrote:
It's the British sense of humour - we can't help ourselves!

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

shoz wrote:Anyone care to enlighten me about 'The Blue'?

The Blue is the School magazine and has been published 3 times a year since the 1800s. It purports to be an official history of events at the School and has also traditionally had an Old Blues section containing obituaries, correspondence, where are they now etc, etc.

However a year or so ago the old CH Club was disbanded and the new CHA (Christ's Hospital Association) founded. It was also decided at the same time to separate out the School and Old Blue magazines into separate publications. I attach a link from earlier in the year of some of our discussions regarding this. Others are more qualified than I to advise on the future direction of The Blue and The Old Blue.

viewtopic.php?t=574

Another link:-

viewtopic.php?t=58&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The current Editor of The Blue is a regular user of this site.

Personally, I put it down to the Roughage !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Mid A 15 wrote:
shoz wrote:Anyone care to enlighten me about 'The Blue'?

The Blue is the School magazine and has been published 3 times a year since the 1800s. It purports to be an official history of events at the School and has also traditionally had an Old Blues section containing obituaries, correspondence, where are they now etc, etc.

However a year or so ago the old CH Club was disbanded and the new CHA (Christ's Hospital Association founded). It was also decided at the same time to separate out the School and Old Blue magazines into separate publications. I attach a link from earlier in the year of some of our discussions regarding this. Others are more qualified than I to advise on the future direction of The Blue and The Old Blue.

viewtopic.php?t=574

Another link:-

viewtopic.php?t=58&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
How do I get hold of a copy then? Is it downloadable yet?

Also, can anyone recommend a good book about CH? I know one or two have been spoken about on this forum, with mixed reviews. Does anyone know of what might be the 'definitive' book about life at CH (as contemporary as possible) as opposed to the history of CH?
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Do you mean 'The Old Blue' or 'The Blue'?

To receive 'The Old Blue', you'll have to be a member of the C.H. Association.

I quote from the C.H.A. site :

CHA Membership

"Several people have asked, What constitutes a member of the CH Association? Life membership is automatic and free of charge. This applies whether you were here for 7 days, 7 years or longer. The Association is open to all former Club members, all Old Blues, and all past and present Governors and staff". (My italics).

'The Blue' is going to be a magazine produced by and aimed at the school community itself. It will, however, be available to Old Blues who have elected to pay to receive it.

So, neither publication, in the normal course of events, will be available to the general public.

All the contact details are contained in the links provided by Mid A 15, so you could always try a direct approach to the people concerned.

Re. books - what exactly are you looking for? Something written by a pupil or a member of staff, perhaps? And how contemporary do you want it?

What do you really need to know that you cannot glean from this forum and from the other C.H. related websites? It seems to me that C.H. life, past and present, is pretty much laid out for all to see.........

shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Richard Ruck wrote:Do you mean 'The Old Blue' or 'The Blue'?

To receive 'The Old Blue', you'll have to be a member of the C.H. Association.

I quote from the C.H.A. site :

CHA Membership

"Several people have asked, What constitutes a member of the CH Association? Life membership is automatic and free of charge. This applies whether you were here for 7 days, 7 years or longer. The Association is open to all former Club members, all Old Blues, and all past and present Governors and staff". (My italics).

'The Blue' is going to be a magazine produced by and aimed at the school community itself. It will, however, be available to Old Blues who have elected to pay to receive it.

So, neither publication, in the normal course of events, will be available to the general public.

All the contact details are contained in the links provided by Mid A 15, so you could always try a direct approach to the people concerned.

Re. books - what exactly are you looking for? Something written by a pupil or a member of staff, perhaps? And how contemporary do you want it?

What do you really need to know that you cannot glean from this forum and from the other C.H. related websites? It seems to me that C.H. life, past and present, is pretty much laid out for all to see.........
Well, judging by your reply it would have to be 'The Blue' as I could never qualify for membership of CHA. I could contact the school and see if they would add me to their subscription lists. Surely if I am willing to pay there should be no reason why I can't get hold of a copy or two.

I know that all manner of information is available from this site and it has proved very informative. I feel as if I have made some friends and have even corresponded via snail mail with certain people who have been nothing more than extremely helpful.
As for the book, I doubt if a pupil currently attending CH has written such a thing. I know past pupils have but from how long ago? That was my reason to ask for a contemporary account of life at CH. This site is brilliant at, dare I say, the older stuff, but what about today's? Even you must admit there have been queries on here that were unanswerable by anyone other than someone currently attending the school.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

There probably isn't such a book, at least not one which details the day-to-day life of the school.

Such material tends to be produced by people who are writing at a later stage in their lives, so their reminiscences often don't really reflect things as they are now.

As for The Blue, well, you could always try, but if previous issues are anything to go by it will be full of sports reports, musical and theatrical reviews, 'House notes' (produced by members of each boarding house), and details of the comings and goings of various members of staff.

A lot of this stuff will be completely meaningless to anyone not directly involved with the school community (especially the 'House notes', which are often baffling to anyone who is not a resident of the house in question).

Having said all this, and without wishing to seem uncharitable, while your interest in C.H. is understandable I do still worry that your quest for the minutiae is becoming a little obsessive.

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Regarding "The Blue" (the school copy of the magazine) the new copy was taken home at the end of this term by the pupils, and I saw a copy when I was down at the school last week.

It's a complete transformation from the previous magazine, published on an annual basis.
It's a far more colourful and interesting read, with a better style (in my humble opinion) - I've really enjoyed reading it, and it'll make a good coffee-table magazine for family and friends to browse through.
I'm loath to mention it, as I'm extremely impressed with the style and content, but my only comment on it is that it needs more proof-reading - there are a number of minor typos and weird phrasing issues....

Copies will be going out in January to Old Blues who have ordered them - it's been a shame that label-printing and the posting process hasn't managed to kick-in in time to get it on people's coffee tables in time for Christmas....

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I also noticed that there are a lot of adverts in this copy of the 'new' Blue...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Great Plum wrote:I also noticed that there are a lot of adverts in this copy of the 'new' Blue...
For what? Pizza delivery?

That reduces the costs considerably as advertising pays for the printing costs, which by the sound of it are considerably higher than before.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

englishangel wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I also noticed that there are a lot of adverts in this copy of the 'new' Blue...
For what? Pizza delivery?

That reduces the costs considerably as advertising pays for the printing costs, which by the sound of it are considerably higher than before.
No, they aren't allowed pizza deliveries at CH anymore! ;)

It's for recuritment firms and city banks etc I think...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99