Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1985)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

oggo
2nd Former

Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1985)

Post by oggo »

Hello Everyone.

My name is Lee Borrett and I am a serious collector of antique clocks. I have recently become excited to find that a clock that I have just bought spent most of its life in the Dining Hall of Christ's Hospital School located at Hertford.

The clock, along with its historical content is now fully illustrated on my website. Please copy and paste the link below to view

http://www.earlyclocks.com/brock-wall-clock-copy/4581438872

My research is on-going and I am hoping to add more information and pictures to my website in the hope of doing this wonderful and very special clock justice. I would be extremely interested to hear of/see any historical photos which show the clock in situ, along with any information that you may have on the clock.

Thank you in anticipation

With Best Wishes

Lee Borrett
Last edited by oggo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Dining Hall Clock - Christ's Hosplital, Hertford (1879-1

Post by Katharine »

I have just read your piece about the clock, and found it absolutely fascinating. I'm afraid that, probably like most others educated at Hertford, I took most of our surroundings for granted and have no real memory of the clock, just that it was there!

I do remember the clockman coming once a week to wind the clocks, he would walk round the school with his step ladder. He also came the night before the clocks changed, to move the hands. I presume it was a contract with the jewellers in town.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
oggo
2nd Former

Post by oggo »

Hello Katharine, Thankyou so much for sharing your memories and for brining the clock to life during that period.
phyllis
2nd Former

Post by phyllis »

I have a photograph (currently not in digital format) of the clock in situ in the Hertford Dining room, above the round portrait of Edward VI, which is between the portraits of Charles II and? a lady whose identity I cannot remember. I am seeing another OB 'girl' tomorrow and will ask if she knows. I will try to digitise this photo and will e-mail to you if I can remember how.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have moved this thread moved to the Hertford forum aand have asked Julian to move Angela's one comment over to this thread.

John.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: The Hertford Dining Hall Clock (1879-1985)

Post by Angela Pratt »

Yes, that's really prompted my memory! Not that I knew anything about it. We just accepted that it was one of the old historical things that were around the hall.
oggo
2nd Former

Post by oggo »

Hello Phyllis

This is very kind of you.

Can you please send me the picture on my email add. ll.borrett@gmail.com

Many thanks

Regards

Lee
oggo
2nd Former

Post by oggo »

Hi Angela

Thank you for your memories about the clock.

Best Wishes

Lee
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

It's nice to know that one of the antiques that littered the Hertford School and went largely unappreciated by us lot ( well, by me anyway ! ) has found such a loving and caring home.

"Time" was carefully measured out at Hertford. Everything had its time and was normally on time. The days passed by in endless and entirely predictable cycles,so neatly that they could have been filed and boxed away; and every box the same. The unchanging sameness could be very depressing. I suppose that clock had looked down on all of us, including the the young Edwardian boys in the early photograph ( where were the girls in that pic ? No doubt they dined separately and, at that time there were far fewer of them ).

Although there were "three" Christ's Hospitals ( Hertford,London and Horsham ) they were one and the same foundation, the Head Office ( now closed) having been in Great Tower Street in the City of London. As far as I remember , the Willcox Prize was still being awarded when I was at the school.

Best wishes to you and I hope you continue to enjoy your clock.

Btw much of the Hertford School is still intact although obviously used for other purposes. The Dining Hall was converted into apartments and the staircase preserved.

When the school closed in 1985 and the girls moved to Horsham , I understand that there was an auction of furniture and effects which ex-pupils were invited to attend....whether the clock was sold then I have no idea.
oggo
2nd Former

Post by oggo »

Hello Alexandra

Thank you so much for kind comments and for sharing with me some of your memories of the clock and surroundings Hertford.

I have recently seen a very interesting Edwardian photograph of the Dining Hall dated to 1906 that show girls only (all very smartly dressed) and the ladies/teachers with their distinctive Edwardian and elegant/slim dresses. I am hoping to add the photo to my website shorltly.

Yes the clock may have been sold at the time of the auction - but I do not think it was listed in the catalogue.

Best Regards

Lee
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Topics now merged! Thanks JR for flagging.

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Over the years there have been four sites that I am aware of. London was the original one but two other schools were set up originally for the younger pupils, mixed male and female. (My daughter has half-inched my book so I don't remember where the other was.) London, at that time was for older boys though from one example I suspect girls were also accomodated there. That example was of an older woman who had left, entered into service but was brought back into the fold when in her twenties.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Originally the whole school was on the London site, thus CH was the oldest co-educational boarding school in the country; possibly the world. I think that the Hertford school was set up in 1680, though after the Great Fire boys were lodged out in Ware, Hertford and Hoddesdon was also used at one stage. The junior boys stayed at Hertford until 1902. All the girls were removed to Hertford in 1774. It is not clear if any girls were with the younger boys before that date. I hope some one will post the answer here.
Col A 1946-1953
oggo
2nd Former

Post by oggo »

Hello David

Many thank's for this historical information.

The subject is so interesting!

Best Regards

Lee
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have found this link about Blue Coat Yard in Ware http://www.wareonline.co.uk/features/bluecoat.asp It is nice to think that one of 'our' Blue Coat boys went there!

This is a nice link too, can't understand the choice of pictures for each house though! In the present context I'm amused to see that my house has a picture of the dining hall!
http://www.ourhertfordandware.org.uk/ca ... 2p47p.aspx
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965