Siblings in different Houses

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Re: Siblings in different Houses

Post by postwarblue »

We had three Rudolfs (?Rudolves) in Col B and they had two sisters at Hertford. The brothers mad, bad and dangerous to know. Said to have played William Tell at home with the apple balanced on the little one's head.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

postwarblue wrote:We had three Rudolfs (?Rudolves) in Col B and they had two sisters at Hertford. The brothers mad, bad and dangerous to know. Said to have played William Tell at home with the apple balanced on the little one's head.
That sounds just like Coleridge B in my day !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
sejintenej wrote: I knew Peter (Th B) who apparently was the middle one, for several years, I knew of Keith being at CH (met him in Peter's home when I stayed there) but totally unaware of an older brother.

To add to Kit Bartlett's contribution, he would have known the Beare brothers who would have been about one and three years behind him in Col A.
Mentioned in a thread months or years ago were identical twins with a name like Spurrier in the same house in I think Barnes who would have left in about 1961.
Could they have been sons of Mr Spurrier, Housemaster of Middleton A or B during my time, if memory serves ?
No, the name is slightly different to the teacher's. One of them was at the 50 years on last year but unfortunately I didn't bring the list over here when I came..
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

sejintenej wrote:
jhopgood wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:The Hildrews were in three different houses (BaB, ThA, ThB) (about 1953 -- 65). I think they asked to be.
I remember a Hildrew but wasn't aware of his brothers. I think he came to Ba B when it was converting to a Junior House, so may have arrived due to his age.
I knew Peter (Th B) who apparently was the middle one, for several years, I knew of Keith being at CH (met him in Peter's home when I stayed there) but totally unaware of an older brother.
Peter (the middle one) was in ThA. Keith was in ThB. I knew them both well. (Peter was with me on the LFA. One day Kit came in, and said: 'Hildrew, you have been moved to the LEA. Go to Mrs Hurst's room.' and off he went.) The eldest one was called Robin, and I think he taught at Sedbergh School for years and years and years, where I imagine he was master in charge of mountaineering. He was (is) the epitome of the 'outdoor type'. (They were a Lake District family.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There were also the McKie brothers in Coleridge A.David G, 45-53 and Robert L.G. 46-55,. the Bucks, A.H. 1910-19 and W.T. 1905-12.
What is the record number of Old Blue siblings in a family I wonder? There were several Inds in Maine B and Snows in Thornton B.
I can find D.J. Kluth Peele B 45-52 and at least four of his progeny. A.D. Mid A 73-79, M.J.Mid A 75-82P.P. Mid A 76-83 and
E.J Ward 6 Hertford 78-85. Is this some sort of record?
Going back into more ancient times there were a lot of Wales's in the ninteeen twenties.
Chris B
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Kit Bartlett wrote:There were also the McKie brothers in Coleridge A.David G, 45-53 and Robert L.G. 46-55,. the Bucks, A.H. 1910-19 and W.T. 1905-12.
What is the record number of Old Blue siblings in a family I wonder? There were several Inds in Maine B and Snows in Thornton B.
I can find D.J. Kluth Peele B 45-52 and at least four of his progeny. A.D. Mid A 73-79, M.J.Mid A 75-82P.P. Mid A 76-83 and
E.J Ward 6 Hertford 78-85. Is this some sort of record?
Going back into more ancient times there were a lot of Wales's in the ninteeen twenties.
Chris B
Angela Pratt, who posts on this forum, will correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are (were) seven Pratts.

I can remember Graham, Robin and Martin in Maine A during my "squit" year.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Yes, Ian the oldest brother was Maine A too from 1953. At Hertford I was 1s(junior ward) and then 8s. My 2 sisters Heather and Charlotte went later when Junior wards had finished but they were in 8s and 1s. We were all 3 monitresses and Heather was also head girl.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

So do the Pratts or the Wanseys (or even the Shepheard-Walwyn's) top the league tables for the most siblings at CH, whether or not at the same time?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

The Davis family had seven siblings at Horsham and Hertford in the 1920s/30s. The parents were Reginald and Lillian Davis and their children were: Horsham - Norman, Howard, Colin (the future conductor, Sir Colin Davis) and Hertford - Yvonne, Audrey, Heather and Gretel. The father was a clerk in a London bank where one of the directors, Sir James Leigh-Wood, was also a very influential governor of C.H.!!
Couldn't happen today, of course.
David :shock:
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Have we ever had triplets at CH?
Yes - the models and actors Eliot, Julian and Ryan Gregory were all at CH from 1995 to 2002.

(Five years later they gave this interview: http://www.movmnt.com/army-of-three-int ... 04084.html)
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Sorry, none of us are famous for anything......3teachers,(Ian, me and Robin) 1 ed psychologist (Graham), 1scientist (Heather), 1architect (Martin) 1doctor (Charlotte),.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Kit Bartlett wrote:There were several Inds in Maine B and Snows in Thornton B.
When I arrived, there were four Snows in ThB, but only three were brothers, including a pair of twins. The fourth, the famous one, was not related.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Angela Pratt 56-63 wrote:Yes, Ian the oldest brother was Maine A too from 1953. At Hertford I was 1s(junior ward) and then 8s. My 2 sisters Heather and Charlotte went later when Junior wards had finished but they were in 8s and 1s. We were all 3 monitresses and Heather was also head girl.
I have a story that involves Ian Pratt (if I've told it before, I apologize).

I had a friend at Cambridge who, on the basis of his acquaintanceship with OBs through me and others, claimed to be able to 'spot' an otherwise unknown OB. One day, I walked into the Eagle with him, and, noting Ian Pratt standing at the crowded bar, said: 'There's an Old Blue in here.' He looked around and immediately pointed to Ian.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"...claimed to be able to 'spot' an otherwise unknown OB...."
That begs the question - how did he know?
:shock:
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Foureyes wrote:"...claimed to be able to 'spot' an otherwise unknown OB...."
That begs the question - how did he know?
:shock:
He didn't know, but he boasted: 'I can always tell an Old Blue.' So to put him to the test, when I saw Ian (who wasn't one of the set he or I consorted with), I challenged him to spot the unknown OB.
Th.B. 27 1955-63