Camping with Scouts

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Eruresto
Grecian

Camping with Scouts

Post by Eruresto »

I had the good fortune to camp with my scout troop recently and was very much taken by how modern everything is. Being more used to Icelandic and Bell tents, which took four people just to carry, I was very surprised to see that the tents we were using could a) be carried two at a time by one person and b) go up in a matter of minutes. It got me thinking about my time as a Sprout from 02-09, and how things have changed since then, and before then.

JDS has written, over the years, a very good history of CH scouts (which you may be able to get hold of), but while it has a good set of histories and photographs (including one of a very young Eruresto reciting elvish!) it is perhaps a little short on personal anecdotes, which perhaps we might collect here. For instance, I have joyful memories of one Old Blues' Camp (I believe it was the 80th anniversary, since it was on my LE in 05), getting away with not going to bed like the rest of the juniors. Instead, I very quietly sat around the campfire, saying very little and as a consequence drawing very little attention to myself, but hearing all sorts of stories, as one does on such occasions. When it came to half past eleven, we began to rise to ascend Sharpenhurst. It was only then that Michael Gimber noticed that I was among the group, and let me join them - even though only UF+ were supposed to be up still. As a consequence I was able, a year early, to join the elders at midnight - and I even got some Bucks Fizz (1% alcohol) for my trouble.

Moral of the story: sit still and be quiet, and much like Sam Gamgee, people tend not to notice that you are somewhere you probably oughtn't to be :D
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Camping with Scouts

Post by sejintenej »

Eruresto wrote: JDS has written, over the years, a very good history of CH scouts (which you may be able to get hold of), but while it has a good set of histories and photographs (including one of a very young Eruresto reciting elvish!) it is perhaps a little short on personal anecdotes, which perhaps we might collect here.
Haylor Lass (Th B ? - 1961) and I whiled away more than a few minutes two weeks ago reminiscing about firstly the D of E Gold expedition in 1960 starting in Bala during the Easter holidays in driving snow and camping in an ice-covered bog (four boys were killed on the Snowdon PyG track the day we were due to go up it - the conditions were that bad) and secondly the Senior Scouts Summer Camp which covered 1300+ miles by bike via a Scout course at Cader Idris in mid-Wales; Snowdonia, the Lake district and the Cuillin Circle on Skye.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Eruresto wrote:I had the good fortune to camp with my scout troop recently and was very much taken by how modern everything is. Being more used to Icelandic and Bell tents, which took four people just to carry, I was very surprised to see that the tents we were using could a) be carried two at a time by one person and b) go up in a matter of minutes. It got me thinking about my time as a Sprout from 02-09, and how things have changed since then, and before then.

you`re beginning to sound like an VOOB Josh!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:
Eruresto wrote:I had the good fortune to camp with my scout troop recently and was very much taken by how modern everything is. Being more used to Icelandic and Bell tents, which took four people just to carry, I was very surprised to see that the tents we were using could a) be carried two at a time by one person and b) go up in a matter of minutes. It got me thinking about my time as a Sprout from 02-09, and how things have changed since then, and before then.

you`re beginning to sound like an VOOB Josh!
I daren't comment, Janet !!

:lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I don't remember a Scout Troop at CH, in the 40s.
I belonged to the 10th Salisbury, which I attended during Holidays, after being a Cub, in St Andrew's Stockwell.

Driving North from Salisbury, recently, I came across a village, which (Nameless !) holds terrible memories of a Scout Camp, during the War.

As a "Reward" for camping on his land, the farmer required us to clear fields of Ragwort, by hand-pulling ------- fingers raw, after two days. !! :shock:
This was regarded as "National Service" (N0 not the Military kind !) and earned a badge.

I have hated the yellow weed, ever since :twisted: