Old Blue stars in Madonna's new film

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Old Blue stars in Madonna's new film

Post by adlop »

Just saw an review ( http://bit.ly/o3a5Bc ) of Madonna's latest film W.E about the life of Mrs Simpson. Madonna directs James D'arcy (La A 84-91) who plays Edward.

Sounds like a shocker of a film but the more due to the direction and script rather than the actor.....
Barnes B / Mid A
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Old Blue stars in Madonna's new film

Post by J.R. »

Every pre-release review and comment regarding this film is a 'stinker'.

Madonna 'doing' Mrs Simpson.

............ A bit like Gibson doing 'Braveheart', which I did enjoy but wasn't exactly correct, history wise.

Still - We all know the American won the 2nd World War. Apparently, we weren't involved at all, according to them in most of their films on the subject !

(Awaits Neill's pearls of wisdom !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
Still - We all know the American won the 2nd World War. Apparently, we weren't involved at all, according to them in most of their films on the subject !
Wrong - it was John Wayne who won WWII almost singlehanded with Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood having walk-on parts. Think what he would have done with Saddam and Ghadaffi if they could have afforded him.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Wrong - it was John Wayne who won WWII almost singlehanded with Steve McQueen and Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood having walk-on parts. Think what he would have done with Saddam and Ghadaffi if they could have afforded him.
Let’s not forget Henry Fonda in Battle of the Bulge (arguably the worst WWII movie ever) who defeated an entire SS Panzer Brigade by rolling flaming barrels of oil down the hill.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

LongGone wrote:
sejintenej wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Let’s not forget Henry Fonda in Battle of the Bulge (arguably the worst WWII movie ever) who defeated an entire SS Panzer Brigade by rolling flaming barrels of oil down the hill.

Seem to remember he spent a fair amount of time flying round in a spotter plane as well.

Versatile fellow !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

adlop wrote:Just saw an review ( http://bit.ly/o3a5Bc ) of Madonna's latest film W.E about the life of Mrs Simpson. Madonna directs James D'arcy (La A 84-91) who plays Edward.

Sounds like a shocker of a film but the more due to the direction and script rather than the actor.....
James was Simon at school! I have a photo somewhere of him as Gollum in the Lamb A house play! and he was a Gene in Bodywork, too...
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

mvgrogan wrote: James was Simon at school! I have a photo somewhere of him as Gollum in the Lamb A house play! and he was a Gene in Bodywork, too...
Ah, Bodywork, now that was a show.....Jeremy James Taylor and Richard Stilgoe. I seem to remember the end of show party being very messy.
Barnes B / Mid A
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I'm afraid that LongGone beat me to it regarding the American efforts in the Bulge---- !

Lets face it the Americans are a different breed (Or several !)

I was once conducting an Inquiry, and an American Airforce Sergeant was called to give evidence.
He was announced by the RSM in a loud voice, strolled in, hitched his bottom onto my desk -- and offered me a cigarette !---- :shock:

Meanwhile, the RSM was having apoplexy at the door !!!!
I explained to him, later that they are different, and have a different sort of discipline --- but I treasure the memory ! :lol: :lol: