Aqua Manda

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Aqua Manda

Post by J.R. »

I have a bottle of 'Old Spice' and a bottle of 'Brut' in the bathroom !

(Steady girls !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I always did rather like Old Spice! Didn't it have a rather funny stopper device?

But not Brut. Please JR! Not a fabulous aroma! Although different scents are different on different wearers... am I mistaken, or was Brut advertised by Henry Cooper "splash it on all over" and I remember an ad with a denim jacket being unbuttoned, button by button - yes?

Sentimentally, I still love Givenchy Gentleman, as worn by Neilw, my Rod Stewart lookalike driving instructor. I associate the scent with happiness, pizazz and success! He always had a bottle on the dashboard.

What scents brings back memories? Always, Yardley's Lavender reminds me of my mother.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Brut was the first 'feminine' style of after-shave for men, and I'm still very partial to it, as is 'Er Inoors !

Old Spice has the little plastic stopper that you push back down into the botle.

Our 'Enry did indeed, 'Splash it all over' as far as Brut is concerned, though only a small amount is really neeeded. To much is too 'heavy'.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Scents bringing back memories? My mother used Goya's (?) Black Rose, or much earlier Evening in Paris, which came with little plastic models of Paris landmarks like the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. I'm a sucker for anything lavender scented - my husband hates it!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Ooh - I've written before how Millie confiscated my little bottle of scent my second day at CH. She displayed it on the Wardrobe Room window ledge for four weeks to torment me and to be a warning to others.

It was Goya Black Rose!

It was my first bottle of grown-up scent; a present from my sister. I couldn't bear the thought of Millie's bony rapacious fingers rifling through my few personal possessions.

Horrid, horrid Millie.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela- the beer shampoo barrels have now been replaced with squeezy containers! But still exactly the same smell and consistency, so evocative of CH Sunday hairwashing!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

This explains why I couldn't spot the familiar beer-barrel.

Back to Superdrug then!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Angela Woodford wrote:Remember the first hair conditioners? The heaven of non-tangled hair after shampooing? No 1 was a black and white bottle of "pure protein" conditioner, which claimed to mend split ends. Split ends, I believe, were high on our agenda, since we all tied our hair back with rubber bands. But I can't remember the name of the product
I know; this won't be interesting - BUT - I've just read an article by the exasperating Liz Jones who names this original "mends split ends" conditioner.

"Protein 21"!

With what hope did I apply it! Of course, it didn't undo the damage done by the rubber bands. But soon after this, a much nicer product was created. "Cream Silk" made by Sunsilk. Lovely. I wish it were still made!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:Remember the first hair conditioners? The heaven of non-tangled hair after shampooing? No 1 was a black and white bottle of "pure protein" conditioner, which claimed to mend split ends. Split ends, I believe, were high on our agenda, since we all tied our hair back with rubber bands. But I can't remember the name of the product
I know; this won't be interesting - BUT - I've just read an article by the exasperating Liz Jones who names this original "mends split ends" conditioner.

"Protein 21"!

With what hope did I apply it! Of course, it didn't undo the damage done by the rubber bands. But soon after this, a much nicer product was created. "Cream Silk" made by Sunsilk. Lovely. I wish it were still made!
Oh hear, hear. I am not often moved to violence, but sometimes I just want to smack her. So self-centred.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

and what do the ladies think of the Old Spice ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:and what do the ladies think of the Old Spice ad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE

I've actually got a bottle of 'Old Spice' in the bathroom cabinet, right next to a bottle of 'Brut'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

as you said at the top of the page.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

...would have thought you'd have used up these potions by now, JR! :lol:

There was another popular mens' cologne late 50's - 60's and I can't think what it was! Lifebuoy soap, now; those dreadful ads!

(1 hour later edit - it must have been well into the 60's - Aramis! Uncle John's favourite. :wink:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

well remembered. 1965 according to this, and it's still available.

http://buyperfume.co/2011/05/aramis-by- ... s-cologne/
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:as you said at the top of the page.

That was way back in 2009 !!

I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast this morning.