Sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Sad news

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Of a Grecian, Matthew, who died today on the railway line at CH, whilst out on a run. Lots of commentary on Facebook, and the Headmaster has issued a statement to parents. Matthew had been a direct entrant to the Deps, and was in Grecians East.
Thoughts should be not only with his family and friends tonight, but with the school as a whole as it comes to terms with another tragedy. Shades of Richard Slater, who has not been forgotten.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Re: Sad news

Post by CHDad »

My son (2nd former) phoned me at lunchtime to tell me the news, he was very upset and had known Matthew through the cross country club. I understand the whole school is in deep shock. What a very sad day and an absoloute tragedy, our thoughts are with his family and friends.
epammi
2nd Former

Post by epammi »

Hi My children have also been on the phone very shocked and upset. What a horrible, horrible situation. Can anyone tell me why he was able to run alongside the train track? I am seriously concerned that my children have access to a the train track still. What if they are feeling low, even about poor Matt - can they now go to the track? I thought it was heavily fenced. My son tells me children still go over the track to the hill opposite to "brownz" - smoke.... How can this still be possible?? Should we be doing something about this? I feel it should be sealed, not just fenced with a fence that the children can break through. Thoughts....
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

epammi - it`s part of the public right of way that crosses Big Side and as such is out of school`s jurisdiction. Sadly.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

It is entirely understandable to wonder how and why but as Mrs C says the school have no control over that piece of land.It would be of no help at all to start apportioning blame. Any of our children could leave our homes in the holidays and go for a run and be knocked down by a car .The only thing to be said is that it is terrible and our thoughts and comments must be only concerned with his family and friends and the school.I hope this doesn't sound dismissive of epammi because of course when something like this happens we think of our own children.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I still can't quite believe it. My eldest rang in tears after the chapel service, where they were told the news. Tonight she has said there are lots of flowers being laid for him, and they lit candles in memory of him. Such sad news.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

How very sad for his friends and family.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

DD also called. Said the whole school was very somber. I always think of her being safely locked away but it shows that terrible things can happen even where we think they are safe. Thoughts are with his family and friends.
wide awake on the edge of the world
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

Tragic news, although one thing I found about CH was that it is amazing in a crisis. Thinking of his family, cannot imagine how they are feeling
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
juicymum

Post by juicymum »

This is very tragic news.DS (second form) texted yesterday and was extremely upset. My thoughts and prayers are with this family, how does one get over this?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

epammi wrote:Hi My children have also been on the phone very shocked and upset. What a horrible, horrible situation. Can anyone tell me why he was able to run alongside the train track? I am seriously concerned that my children have access to a the train track still. What if they are feeling low, even about poor Matt - can they now go to the track? I thought it was heavily fenced. My son tells me children still go over the track to the hill opposite to "brownz" - smoke.... How can this still be possible?? Should we be doing something about this? I feel it should be sealed, not just fenced with a fence that the children can break through. Thoughts....
This is truely tragic news and my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

In regard to the crossing - it is a public footpath that has steps down a steep cutting on the side of Sharpenhurst. I believe, after a previous tragedy at the site that there were plans by WSCC and/or Network Rail to install a bridge at that site.v As far as I know, this never went beyond the planning stage.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

It's a horrible crossing, I've been down there myself a couple of times. A bridge would be ideal, wonder why it didn't get through planning :?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
epammi
2nd Former

Post by epammi »

Thank you for your coments. It becomes more and more horrible the more I think about it. I know we have to wait to find out exactly where poor Matt died and how but I do feel a death means some action must now be taken to make this crossing and access from the school absolutely safe. I wait to hear more from the HM but if his previous four lines are anything to go by I fear it may be woefully lacking and sadly less than reassuring.
bLb
2nd Former

Post by bLb »

I am shocked that a crossing is allowed close to a school and also think something should be done about it, should have been done about it before this. This is terrible news. I am so sorry.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Bridges cost money, that can be the only reason. This is one of the few unguarded crossings of a main line, but no railway line anywhere is absolutely safe from anyone who wants to be on it, for whatever reason. The same goes for the Horsham by-pass, come to that.
Th.B. 27 1955-63