Mr L E Lawrence (science lab assistant)

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Mr L E Lawrence (science lab assistant)

Post by wurzel »

After some conversations over Xmas I have found out more about my Great Grandfather. He was not a teacher at CH but a lab assistant working with kirby. He was called Lawrence not Sutherland and was there from about the late 30's to 1960 or 61 when he retired. I have a photo of him in the new science block with some pupils which I will scan.

He was a very short man (4'11''') and was also a muscian (dance band) his background was head of music for the apprentice bands at an engineering firm in Rugby

He lived at the end of New ropad Southwater - any memories ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Mr L E Lawrence (science lab assistant)

Post by J.R. »

I look forward to seeing the photo.

As I have said before on this site, I spent SO much of my spare time in Mr Kirby's lab, if he was around then, I would recognise him.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If he was 4'11" I am sure you should remember him without a photo.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:If he was 4'11" I am sure you should remember him without a photo.

Doesn't ring any bells, so it can't have been Quasimodo, either !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

need to find power lead for scanner or it will be a camera phone photo of the one photo i have (the rest have been given to the school museum along with several bits of memorabilia).

It has him with about 8 or 9 older boys so I am guessing the science grecians that year along with a master - My father thinks it was taken just before he retired so maybe in 1960 - the other CH photo I have from him is for some reason a close up of the lead water tank in front of the New Science block although i remember another photo i saw some years back with it in the Science cloister - was it moved at some point ?
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I remember a lab assistant working mainly in the old science block; never with Kirby. I cannot remember seeing much of him.
Col A 1946-1953
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The notion of Kirby working with a lab assistant is mind-boggling. I'm sure he got on with them very well, but for all his very great virtues as a teacher, Kirby was one of the messiest people, and certainly the messiest science teacher, I have ever met. I don't think an assistant would have touched his lab with a bargepole, and I think that's how Kirby wanted it.

I do remember a very small lab assistant. And there was a woman, called Mrs Constable I think.

But I look forward to this picture, as I probably know the people in it.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
donfay
2nd Former

Post by donfay »

About 1954 or 1955. Vague recollections of the cinder track that led from the mile across towards the Bax Castle where a lab technician lived who had a windmill in his front garden to generate electricity. But all so vague that I would have to check maps etc if there is any interest.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavidRawlins wrote:I remember a lab assistant working mainly in the old science block; never with Kirby. I cannot remember seeing much of him.
I vaguely remember someone of that description around Mr Crosland's lab probably 1959 - 1961 time
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

that could well be him - his house was the end one in new road, southwater which where the footpath opposite the end of the cindertrack comes out http://goo.gl/maps/AbLjf it has been replaced with a big shiny house now but was a little bungalow