Medical Work experience?!

Looking for a job? Want a work experience placement?
Find jobs advertised by Old Blues.
Post a "JOB WANTED" advert.
Advertise your jobs to other Old Blues.
Please delete your ads once expired - all post will be removed after 60 days....

Moderator: Moderators

abigail18
2nd Former

Medical Work experience?!

Post by abigail18 »

Hi, I'm a student at CH, looking for some work experience in the summer in a medical field - anything will do! Does anyone know a histopathologist or forensic pathologist who will allow me to see a post mortem? Any feedback would be useful!

Thanks

abi
gma
Grecian

Re: Medical Work experience?!

Post by gma »

Hi Abi,

Can you ping me a PM with Cv and outline of stidoes and aims, have client Glaxo who may be able to help.

:wink:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Post by LittleLamperouge »

Heya ^_^

(apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread o_O)
Um, I'm looking for medical work experience as well - any type is fine tbh, though anything related to Psychology or Neurology would be preferred if possible. If not, is there anyone who knows someone I could talk to about advice or guidance on what I should be doing round about now? Cheers :D
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Until last month I was volunteering at a local hospice and another of the volunteers was a lad who was applying for medical training. He only did weekends but I think he was allowed to sit in on some of the shift meetings. I'm sure it did him good when doing his uni applications, though admittedly it's a very particular type of clinical environment. But if nothing else hospices are always glad of volunteers.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Hospices :) Thank you very much!! :mrgreen:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

you may be able to visit a hospice through Comunity Action ...... anything is better than nothing!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

LittleLamperouge wrote:Hospices :) Thank you very much!! :mrgreen:
That just goes to show how much you DON'T know! Where is your sense of compassion?

Maybe Psychology wouldn't be a great choice for you. "Cheers :D " Oh dear.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:
LittleLamperouge wrote:Hospices :) Thank you very much!! :mrgreen:
That just goes to show how much you DON'T know! Where is your sense of compassion?

Maybe Psychology wouldn't be a great choice for you. "Cheers :D " Oh dear.

Methinks that there has been a wee bit of miscommunication here, and that LL's smiley was one of gratitude for Mrs C's suggestion.
LittleLamperouge
2nd Former

Yeah...icomefromalanddownunder was right. There's no reason at all why I should find a hospice funny - my half sister is in a hospice.
Just to clear up the misunderstanding :)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Our Hospice prides itself on the happy atmosphere. One family wrote after the death of their mother that it helped them all not to worry about the noise they were making at their mother's bedside.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Mrs C. wrote:you may be able to visit a hospice through Comunity Action ...... anything is better than nothing!
Sorry Mrs C, but this is heartless. In all my nursing days, having cared for terminally ill patients, I would hate for volunteering with them and/or their families to be considered experience "better than nothing".
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

not at all heartless - yet another misinterpretation of the written word, I`m afraid.

experience in a hospice , even if not directly related to future study/career , is a very valuable experience and it would be better to do that than sit around doing nothing.
I should know - my husband runs the Community Service Programme.

I clearly wrongly assumed that what I wrote would be understood.
I`ll refrain from offering advice or suggestions in future in case it`s taken the wrong way
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Better to do nothing than to attempt to be a useful but inexperienced "volunteer"!

In my considerable experience, people remember so much when their loved ones are dying. It takes skill and sensitivity to connect with the dying patient and their family.

(I often cried with the family after a patient's death, and it felt right. Or sometimes the family wanted to feel briskly disengaged. Sometimes family feuds were in evidence. Difficult.)

It might be best for little Lampe Rouge to stand in at post-mortems - professional and clinical.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Many of our pupils have their own good reasons to want to volunteer in a hospice and are usually welcomed with open arms into an environment that many would shun. The hospices which CH pupils have visited would never put someone in a situation with which they or the families of, and those being cared for would feel uncomfortable.
Maybe they only take tea and biscuits round, play cards or entertain, but at least they help in some small way.
Surely that`s no bad thing?
Maybe you disagree.

Without experience, how do you gain experience?
Everyone has to start somewhere, and if serving cups of tea in a hospice leads someone to want to follow a career based on the care of the sick, then I`m all for volunteering.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I agree with Mrs C. I know that I would be quite useless as a volunteer at the hospice, so try to make up for it by helping to raise funds (in the charity shop) That in itself can be a useful experience. I never imagined that people could be so mean. The theft from such shops shocks all newcomers.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.