From the sublime to the ridiculous

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

From the sublime to the ridiculous

Post by sejintenej »

A thread for silly, stupid or otherwise less than noteworthy facts for which there is no internet link.

20 Weight Watchers members in Sweden lined up for their regular weigh-in; the floor collapsed under them.

The cause of the collapse is said to be "under investigation".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A man of 75 walking his dog in Berlin was attacked by a 43 year old man who bit him on the neck shouting "I am Dracula".
The victim went home and died an hour later. (from the FT quoting Fortean Times))
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous

Post by Angela Woodford »

In the Guardian today, an article which wonders how many people China executes annually, and why.

Our politicians wouldn't stand a chance in such a regime!

Three years ago, a man was executed for selling overpriced ants.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Not strictly in line with the thread since there is an internet link:

However check out the name of the author bearing in mind the subject matter

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 065824.ece

One of those "shouldn't laugh but" moments.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Heard on the radio yesterday,the official diagnosis for recalcitrant kids who won't behave in school: Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Mid A 15 wrote:Not strictly in line with the thread since there is an internet link:

However check out the name of the author bearing in mind the subject matter

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 065824.ece

One of those "shouldn't laugh but" moments.
How could you possibly avoid it, absolutely brilliant, can it really be his name?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Once --- a very long time ago -- I had secured a village, while we searched for "Arms".
I had , properly, separated the male and female detainees, into separate groups, and had the males under armed guard.

Not sure what to do with the females, I radiod the Battallion Commander --------

Who replied -- "Roger !"-----------------Ho Ho Ho ! but it didn't help !

BTW under one lady, in childbirth, we found four rifles !!!!

I'm not sure any Smileys are suitable !
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

I was on Facebook today. They have an application whereby you can send virtual gifts to other users (represented by a pictorial icon). I was attempting to send the gift of an alchohol drink to my fiance's cousin who is 20 today. However, when I clicked on send I was informed that the recipient of my gift was not old enough! Absolutely mental! Obviously as FB is an American invention they've put in some kind of rule that under 21s can't receive pictures of alcohol drinks. Quite ridiculous.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I remember, in my early days in the Army --- being told ----- "No-one is entirely useless --- you can serve as a horrible example to the others !"

This advice I treasure when encountering our American Cousins !! :lol: :lol:
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

marty wrote:I was on Facebook today. They have an application whereby you can send virtual gifts to other users (represented by a pictorial icon). I was attempting to send the gift of an alchohol drink to my fiance's cousin who is 20 today. However, when I clicked on send I was informed that the recipient of my gift was not old enough! Absolutely mental! Obviously as FB is an American invention they've put in some kind of rule that under 21s can't receive pictures of alcohol drinks. Quite ridiculous.

There are so many ridiculous rules like that in this country! When I lived in Kentucky, it was possible to buy beer in supermarkets (not possible in all states). The problem, however, is that many cashiers in the checkout lanes are 'underage'. This means they are not allowed to TOUCH the stuff!! Even if it is a 24-pack of beers in a cardboard container!! Doesn't matter how long the line of customers is - the checkout girl would turn her light on and sit and wait for the supervisor to pull the cardboard over the barcode scanner! I could never understand the logic of this. Alcohol is not going to seep in osmotically through the skin and it was perfectly acceptable for them to scan unmentionable piles of nutritionally-deficient foodstuffs which, in the balance of things, was MUCH worse for their health! Same logic applies to college kids who are not allowed near alcohol and who, consequently, hoard the stuff and binge drink to the point of alcohol poisoning, when they get hold of it. Not thought through, clearly!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:
There are so many ridiculous rules like that in this country! When I lived in Kentucky, it was possible to buy beer in supermarkets (not possible in all states). The problem, however, is that many cashiers in the checkout lanes are 'underage'. This means they are not allowed to TOUCH the stuff!! Even if it is a 24-pack of beers in a cardboard container!! Doesn't matter how long the line of customers is - the checkout girl would turn her light on and sit and wait for the supervisor to pull the cardboard over the barcode scanner!

Kim, 2 years ago one of our major supermarkets (either Tesco or Sainsbury's) was enforceing a similar rule. There might have been technical differences like cashier's age (17 or 18 I think) or the stage which the supervisor had to oversee (actual paymewnt I think) but the principle and effect were the same. I don't know about glue, solvent, nail varnish remover, cutting implements, tobacco etc sales but I suspect the same principles apply here.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I remember, in my early days in the Army --- being told ----- "No-one is entirely useless --- you can serve as a horrible example to the others !"
Sorry, late to the game as ever but N the N, I LOVE this and will be taking it back to work at the barracks next week!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

How cheap can London get?

Post by sejintenej »

I have just received an invitation for 4 days in London courtesy of Virgin Atlantic Airlines. B & B at the Goring (whereever that is) based on 2 sharing, a tour of the Royal Albert Hall and the Royal Opera House, choice of Changing of the Guards and/or Afternoon Tea (location unspecified) dinner at Joel Rebuchon's l'Atelier (appears not to be included in the price), meet the cast and evening performance at some un-named London theatre. Sorry, you have to pay to get yourself to London.

As I wrote, dirt cheap.

For
A Royal Virgin Atlantic Airways Adventure Across the Pond
a snip at FROM US$6,170 but may vary depending on final itinery.

This is not a scam - I know the company promoting it!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Bad English

Post by sejintenej »

I appreciated the submission of Fred Upwithit-Hall in today's electronic version of the Times regarding the volcanic plume affecting Northern Europe:
He wrote:
This is the consequence of the Icelandic bankers poor English Language skills. Listen very carefully this time please.

Oi, I want my CASH back!
ie. NOT ash.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

sublime

Post by sejintenej »

post removed by sejintenej; it was a copy of one someone else put on the volcano thread
Last edited by sejintenej on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I seem to remember that "Changing the Guard" did NOT include Afternoon Tea !!!
And at £1.10s a week ---- I couldn't afford it ! :lol: