CH dogs

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: CH dogs

Post by Great Plum »

blondie95 wrote:the marshall has two lovely dogs-the MOST obedient ones you would ever see.

I think Plum seniors two dogs need a mention-you always see them around campus loving the attention
They are so obedient that they hardly ever look where they are going as they are so trained on the school marshall!

Yes, Pippa and Kim (the Plum collies) are not quite so obedient... (Hmm!)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Great Plum wrote:
blondie95 wrote:the marshall has two lovely dogs-the MOST obedient ones you would ever see.

I think Plum seniors two dogs need a mention-you always see them around campus loving the attention
They are so obedient that they hardly ever look where they are going as they are so trained on the school marshall!

Yes, Pippa and Kim (the Plum collies) are not quite so obedient... (Hmm!)

thats their names i spent ages trying to remember-no not so obeident and get far more excited at seeing people!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

As well as Rip Kirby's dog called "Lobster" there was a golden labrador called "Rupert" who I used to take for walks. He belonged to Morton and Olive Peto. Their son James was at the school.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

One name.... Etheldreeda (spelling?)
Barnes B / Mid A
little_r
3rd Former

Post by little_r »

Roger Martin's Old English Sheep dog... Ethel Reader... she used to have an annual hair cut in the summer! I never knew who smelt worse, the dog or Roger, who's pipe smoking antics made his breath smell almost as bad as the lumps of poo hanging off the back side of Ethel Reader. :shock: :shock: :shock:
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

'tis rumoured that Roger Martin WAS an Old English Sheepdog.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

I think that Chlorine (and the rest of the halogens) were born to Hibben. Does any one remember Uncle's 4 Ducks, Quat, Er, Cent and Enery. I think the fox got them.
Col A 1946-1953
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Senility and Seniority -- strike !

Where, and when did King Edward Road appear at CH ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavidRawlins wrote:I think that Chlorine (and the rest of the halogens) were born to Hibben. Does any one remember Uncle's 4 Ducks, Quat, Er, Cent and Enery. I think the fox got them.

I remember 'Chlorine' well, but I don't recall any ducks.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Senility and Seniority -- strike !

As to where see:- http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 09366&z=17
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

The ducks appeared in 1953, as you probably realised.
Col A 1946-1953
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Grimshaw's dog Rambo was a real character. A thick-set Staffy, he had a skull about an inch thick as he regularly couldn't stop himself on the polished wooden floors and slid head first into the wall. The poor thing was also hit by a car at one point; he bounced off and appeared almost totally uninjured! :shock:

Roger Martin also had the most unkempt English Sheepdog ever: Etheldreda, as mentioned above. It stank but was a faithful old thing that never seemed to leave his side. When she eventually passed away she was replaced by a black labrador called Bramble who seemed way too energetic for him!

Tim Alexander had two enormous dogs (can't remember what type, but they were almost Irish Wolfhound size) called Tara and Shanna. Tara disappeared after about 6 weeks - don't know if he found the two of them too much to handle or whether something more sinister happended but all of a sudden there was only Shanna, who was amazingly good natured.

And of course Rev Dobbie's hound, the mad Springer Spaniel called Hugo. Extremely friendly with everyone and everything :)
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

My recollection is that 'Hibbing' was the mother of Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine, of whom only Chlorine was maintained on the strength. At the same time (early 1950s) bl**dy Johnnie, the housemaster of Lamb A (A L Johnstone) had a spaniel called Iphegenia or Iffy. Lamb A disliked B Johnnie and used to take it out on his dog.

Uncle Kirby used to teach human biology by drawing in coloured chalk on the body of one of the class. Around his lab he had a life-cycle dado in which a cow produces dung to nurture a cabbage which in turn nourishes the cow. Mecrifully I was never one of Uncle's pupils. I only had one term of biology at CH, with Tommy Archbold, which only worked down as far as abdominal breathing and then it was back to Physics with Mr Crosland, a toy trains (oops!! model railways, sorry) buff.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

AndrewH wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Senility and Seniority -- strike !

As to where see:- http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=51 ... 09366&z=17

As to when, in 1902 I imagine. The road from the Post Office to Peele Gate. Had houses in it which were identical to the masters' houses in the Avenue. The one nearest Peele was inhabited by Pat Cullen and family for a while. Kirby had a room in one corner, and stayed there for the first term of the Cullens' residency, which even the diplomatic Pat Cullen admitted to us was "a little difficult". Kirby then moved to the new bachelor/widower residence near the infirmary. (I can't remember who lived in the house with Kirby pre-Cullen.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The houses that looked identical to the housemaster houses (but are internally quite different) are 1902 houses. The rest of the houses on King Edward's Road and the Close were built (at my guess) in the mid 1960s when the extensions to the rear of the houses were built and the houses in the Gun Copses built...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99