OFFICIAL CH Website

Post information about upcoming publications, books and literature.
Post info about newspaper articles, CH in the media, Old Blues websites etc. etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

OFFICIAL CH Website

Post by jtaylor »

Visit the official CH website - http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/
Last edited by jtaylor on Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian walling
LE (Little Erasmus)

School Web site - standard of English

Post by brian walling »

Yes, the school Web site is useful, but it damages its credibility with the poor standard of its English. There is even a glaring grammatical error in the first paragraph of the home page! If I was a parent, considering the school for my children, this would worry me. Doesn't anybody at the school write good English any more? Why don't they check the Web site?

Brian Walling
MaA 53-60
Lousey!
2nd Former

Post by Lousey! »

Lousey! would also like to point out that £4000-7000 was spent on the site (figure as quoted on the Webbed Feet site), which appears, to the naked eye, extremely basic.
The navigation is unclear, the presentation is poor. This sentence, found in the opening paragraph, sets the tone:

"As a Charitable Foundation, Christ's Hospital uses its funds to provide the highest level of financial assistance to its pupils than any other independent boarding school."

Not meaning to be rude, Lousey! considers the lack of grammatical correctness displayed in this sentence highly amusing. Numerous other errors can be found within the site; Lousey! politely suggests using an editor who is not a second form.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Re: School Web site - standard of English

Post by Hendrik »

brian walling wrote:Yes, the school Web site is useful, but it damages its credibility with the poor standard of its English. There is even a glaring grammatical error in the first paragraph of the home page! If I was a parent, considering the school for my children, this would worry me. Doesn't anybody at the school write good English any more? Why don't they check the Web site?

Brian Walling
MaA 53-60
sorry brian. they could spend money on making a website that was correct but the school would rather spend its money on gravel. while i was at CH they spent somewhere between 150-200,000 pounds (or so i was told by a member of staff) gravelling the quad, front ave, back ash, even the mile. two years later they literally vacuumed it up again. they squandered money on stuff like that, and now the pupils have to buy many of the books themselves, and even have to provide their own paper. this may sound like some school in sub-saharan africa but this is CH in the 21st century.

sorry bit of a rant, but this is not the CH ethos i knew
The finger to the land of the chains!
WHAT? The land of the FREE?!
Whoever told you that is your ENEMY...
Sophie
2nd Former

Post by Sophie »

Its the video you can get off that site that is the most horrific bit of advertising I have ever seen. Check it out.. if you dare die of over cringation.
LHB 96-02, GE 02/03
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The video is one of the funniest I have ever seen!
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

yeah tis pretty darn amusing right?

anyway me being me ive been on quite a few other school websites, and i think it needs to be way more current, i mean why not put more detailed events on there, the more hits there are by parents old blues and maybe even students etc, so the more pressure there would be for it to be good.

also pics of events would be nice, and copies of letters sent out if they are relevant to the wider community
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02