CH music department in Calcutta

Post information about upcoming publications, books and literature.
Post info about newspaper articles, CH in the media, Old Blues websites etc. etc.

Moderator: Moderators

eloisec
Deputy Grecian

CH music department in Calcutta

Post by eloisec »

Music Teacher (Vol.84, no.2) reports on a partnershp with the Mathieson Music School in Calcutta. Some Old Blues teach there in their gap year, and the choral society raises funds for it.
http://www.mathiesonmusictrust.org
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Was this the thing that Mr Allwood set up?
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

I have no idea, but judging from the dates given in the journal, I would think so.

On a different note (ho hum) anyone remember the feud that went on between Mr Allwood and the two Davids (Elliott and Clements). Can clearly remember the Band not being PAs favourite thing, think he got miffed at the attention it got in contrast to his choir. The Band was great though, one of the best things about CH (even if I did smash up loads of good reeds trying to avoid collisions with trombonists ... Tim?!)
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

eloisec wrote: On a different note (ho hum) anyone remember the feud that went on between Mr Allwood and the two Davids (Elliott and Clements). Can clearly remember the Band not being PAs favourite thing, think he got miffed at the attention it got in contrast to his choir.
Just happened upon this topic.

I think there was a similar division in my day as well. I'm sure that the then Director of Music, Malcolm McKelvey, held similar feelings towards the Band, particularly as it spawned the Dance/Show/Big Band, and other such unruly offshoots.

The truth is that the Band always was, and probably always will be, the highest-profile manifestation of the school's musical heritage.

The Choir always was of a very high standard, but didn't get out and about as much as the Band, and the Orchestra only practised once a week, so the musicianship and general confidence among its members was generally not as high as that of the Band (sorry, assorted fiddlers, viola players etc.).

As a trombonist, I had as much music as I could ever want.

My weekly schedule was usually something like this:

Monday lunchtime - Band parade
Monday evening - Orchestra
Tuesday evening - Band practise
Wednesday lunctime - Band parade
Wednesday evening - Horsham Orchestra
Thursday lunchtime - Band parade
Thusday evening - Dance band
Friday evening - St. Louis Jazz Band
Saturday lunchtime - Band parade
Sunday morning - Band practise

This of course does not take into account any private practise sessions, section rehearsals, brass groups and other such activities.

Perhaps any string players out there could tell us what other musical activities were available to them when the Orchestra wasn't having its weekly scrape?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

There was the Chamber Orchestra - a generally higher standard, more select crew, but it's certainly true that the band had the higher profile.

The ability to play at Twickenham for the rugby (do they still do that?) and to march through London on St. Matt's day makes a huge difference!

The highlight of 'cello playing for me were the string quartets - the before-lunch slot had a string quartet most days, run by John Stilwell. Fantastic quality from the top couple of quartets, and real chance to learn musicality and really listening to each other.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

They haven't played at Twickenham for a few years but they play at Lords quite regularly!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99