A letter from the CHOBA board

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

Re: A letter from the CHOBA board

Post by Foureyes »

bakunin writes: "...and both employed in private schools..."

I would be interested to know the evidence for saying that Canon Michael Porteous is employed today in a private school. As far as I can see he is a priest in a group ministry, covering several former parishes, as is quite common today in the Church of England. The fact that it is called a 'benefice' presumably is historical. But that is not a private school.
That does NOT mean that he may have taught in private schools before, only that he does not appear to be at one now.
David :shock:
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

If he had been convicted he could not be employed in education.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Out of fairness to Canon Porteous, this is the Facebook of the erstwhile CH chaplain who describes himself as a former priest.

ABOUT MICHAEL
Not a lot. Went to Bathurst Teachers College, about 1956, taught Cranbrook, Sydney for a couple of years, then Highate School, London. Greycoat Hospital (school), London, trained for priesthood Soutwark Ordination Course, chaplain Christs Hospital Horsham, Rector St Peters,West Blatchington. Now live mainly in Thailand, on the coast of Gulf of Thailand, south of Hua Hin.

https://m.facebook.com/michael.porteous ... 1539378729
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Huh. Bathurst and Cranbrook.
Maybe I have a slight bias because I lived in Aus for most of my adult life but the reputation of those schools definitely precedes them, and not in a sparkling way.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 pm Out of fairness to Canon Porteous, this is the Facebook of the erstwhile CH chaplain who describes himself as a former priest.

ABOUT MICHAEL
Not a lot. Went to Bathurst Teachers College, about 1956, taught Cranbrook, Sydney for a couple of years, then Highate School, London. Greycoat Hospital (school), London, trained for priesthood Soutwark Ordination Course, chaplain Christs Hospital Horsham, Rector St Peters,West Blatchington. Now live mainly in Thailand, on the coast of Gulf of Thailand, south of Hua Hin.

Given that the Michael Porteous who has been convicted was also living in Thailand it seems fairly clear it’s the same person.
“It was discovered that Porteous was living in Thailand but when he returned to the UK to Sussex in September 2013 for a short visit to see family members he was arrested and charged.”
http://www.chiswickw4.com/shared/conkingshouse001.htm

His daughter appears to live in Sussex.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 am
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 pm Out of fairness to Canon Porteous, this is the Facebook of the erstwhile CH chaplain who describes himself as a former priest.

ABOUT MICHAEL

Given that the Michael Porteous who has been convicted was also living in Thailand it seems fairly clear it’s the same person.
“It was discovered that Porteous was living in Thailand but when he returned to the UK to Sussex in September 2013 for a short visit to see family members he was arrested and charged.”
http://www.chiswickw4.com/shared/conkingshouse001.htm

His daughter appears to live in Sussex.
And there was an 18 month period from September 2014 when he wasn't posting.

He has a number of FB friends who are Old Blues.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

The Facebook profile photo of the ex-CH Michael Porteous (available on his public profile) is an old photo from the 70s or 80s. Interesting that he hasn’t used a more recent one. Clearly it’s hard to say for certain that it’s the same man, but the shape of the face and nose are definitely similar to those of the man in the newspaper article.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

There are indeed a lot of coincidences and I found the photo in the press article that I posted to be very very like the Revd Porteous I knew at CH.
The Thailand connection is also unsettling but if truth were to be said if nothing has come out from CH days, then it may indeed be a different person.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Golfer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm Notwithstanding the above, I do think that justice is the supreme value.
As was clearly confirmed by Lord Justice Scrutton in an appeal case.

The difficulty is defining "justice". I suspect that rape victims would consider justice to be the castration of their attackers - others may disagree.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 pm
Golfer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 pm Notwithstanding the above, I do think that justice is the supreme value.
As was clearly confirmed by Lord Justice Scrutton in an appeal case.

The difficulty is defining "justice". I suspect that rape victims would consider justice to be the castration of their attackers - others may disagree.
Steady David !!

I think you know my views on justice and sentences so don't set me off

Pakistan have this week shown they can do the right thing, somewhat surprisingly to me.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 pm I think you know my views on justice and sentences so don't set me off

Pakistan have this week shown they can do the right thing, somewhat surprisingly to me.
Well known; that was law, the occasional Indian method (mob rule) is also justice though I don't recommend it
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!