A letter from the CHOBA board

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

A letter from the CHOBA board

Post by DazedandConfused »

A link in case anyone hasn’t received the email:
https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/old ... ember-2018
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: A letter from the CHOBA board

Post by J.R. »

I have received the October CHOBA newsletter, but not this letter, but then again I didn't receive any response to an E-Mail to the HM some weeks ago.

Persona Non Grata, me wonders ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

There is a link in the CHOBA newsletter, John.

I’d come here to post about it!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:41 pm I have received the October CHOBA newsletter, but not this letter, but then again I didn't receive any response to an E-Mail to the HM some weeks ago.

Such a conspiracy theorist, John! :D

There is a link in that email from choba...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

A decent enough letter. Who are the six expelled? Husband, Dobbie, Webb, Burr, Karim and ???
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Roger Martin I guess, as he’s been charged.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

LHA wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:54 pm A decent enough letter. Who are the six expelled? Husband, Dobbie, Webb, Burr, Karim and ???
It could be any old blue who has been convicted of sexual offences m
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Could be this Alistair Wilson person
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... kmail.html
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DazedandConfused wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:09 pm Roger Martin I guess, as he’s been charged.
According to the letter someone only gets suspended when charged and and is then expelled if found guilty. They don't write it but if charged and found not guilty then their suspension should be withdrawn.
That is the theory but there have been any number of cases where a defendant appears to be undoubtedly guilty from the evidence is found not guilty purely because of some cock-up/technicality and not based on a magistrate or jury decision.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

As posted elsewhere, I suspect Mr. Rowley may be included
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

cstegerlewis wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:52 pm As posted elsewhere, I suspect Mr. Rowley may be included
Good point. Both he and Alistair Wilson should be, might write in as clearly at least one of them will remain a member.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:04 pm
J.R. wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:41 pm I have received the October CHOBA newsletter, but not this letter, but then again I didn't receive any response to an E-Mail to the HM some weeks ago.

Such a conspiracy theorist, John! :D

There is a link in that email from choba...
Me ?

A conspiracy theorist ? Never !

The next County Court hearing re CH teacher abuse is in March next year for Martin.

Plenty can and probably will happen twixt now and then.

By the way, many thanks to CH office staff, who must monitor this site for their e-mail to me this afternoon.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

sejintenej write:
"According to the letter someone only gets suspended when charged and and is then expelled if found guilty. They don't write it but if charged and found not guilty then their suspension should be withdrawn. That is the theory but there have been any number of cases where a defendant appears to be undoubtedly guilty from the evidence is found not guilty purely because of some cock-up/technicality and not based on a magistrate or jury decision."
I think that you are on dangerous ground here. What you are advocating is that if X appears guilty and/or in someone's opinion he/she should have been found guilty, then X should be expelled from CHOBA. But, who would make that decision and how would they arrive at it? Would the CHOBA board hold a quasi-judicial hearing; would they call evidence and, if so, from whom? It may be unsatisfactory in some cases, but I suggest that the only way is to accept a properly-constituted court's verdict and if someone is found not guilty (for whatever reason) then that's it. Similarly, if the police investigate an allegation and decide there is insufficient evidence - perhaps even no evidence at all - to pursue a charge then that, too, closes it.
Any other way is unacceptable.
David :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

[/quote]
Foureyes wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:04 pm sejintenej write:
"According to the letter someone only gets suspended when charged and and is then expelled if found guilty. They don't write it but if charged and found not guilty then their suspension should be withdrawn.

I don't see (and don't think) that you disagree with that.

That is the theory but there have been any number of cases where a defendant appears to be undoubtedly guilty from the evidence is found not guilty purely because of some cock-up/technicality and not based on a magistrate or jury decision."

This the fact of life. If a copper or prosecuting solicitor makes a slight error in the arrest or warning or any one of many procedural requirements is not met then the accused goes free. It has happened in other criminal cases.There may be witnesses to ten little boys who were filmed being attacked but if there is a procedural error ....
This is simply a warning that those ten little boys might not get justice. Nowhere have I even suggested that CHOBA make a decision in the absence of a properly constituted court decision.

I think that you are on dangerous ground here. What you are advocating is that if X appears guilty and/or in someone's opinion he/she should have been found guilty, then X should be expelled from CHOBA. But, who would make that decision and how would they arrive at it? Would the CHOBA board hold a quasi-judicial hearing; would they call evidence and, if so, from whom? It may be unsatisfactory in some cases, but I suggest that the only way is to accept a properly-constituted court's verdict and if someone is found not guilty (for whatever reason) then that's it. Similarly, if the police investigate an allegation and decide there is insufficient evidence - perhaps even no evidence at all - to pursue a charge then that, too, closes it.
Any other way is unacceptable.
[/quote]
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

OK, I apologise. When I read "...that is the theory but there have been any number of cases where a defendant appears to be undoubtedly guilty from the evidence is found not guilty purely because of some cock-up/technicality and not based on a magistrate or jury decision." I took that to mean that you were advocating that CHOBA should overrule that. With you further explanation, I can see that I misinterpreted that.

I note the recent David Beckham case where he even admitted to speeding, but the case was dismissed because the charge had been delivered a few hours too late. That's not justice.