All this is incredibly sad

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Re: All this is incredibly sad

Post by rockfreak »

J.R. wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:05 am I cannot recall CMES EVER visiting Col B, or hearing of him ever entering any house come to that.

I think he was too aloof for that sort of task.

He came to see one of our house plays in Col B once, in about 1958. Maybe he was doing them one by one down the avenue. I was onstage and remember seeing him in the front row and thinking "what is he making of all this?" You never quite knew, did you? The only other time he came in was to tell us that AH Buck had been sacked. And then again a few days later with Kirby to tell us that said Uncle was now to be our temporary housemaster and would we give him our support. Relating to other threads about beating: although Kirby made a lot of jokes about "tickle Toby", I don't remember him actually beating anyone when he was our HM for the rest of that term in 1956. People generally didn't tend to take liberties with him. He used to stick out his lower jaw like a bulldog and fix you with a gimlet eye.
Andyjf
2nd Former

Post by Andyjf »

harryh wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm Note to self : never send emails late at night.
Graham, I think you know me well enough to know that I tell it as I see it. I guess it is difficult to convince folk that terrible mistakes made in the past will not be repeated, but I do know the rigour and integrity that is now present at the school.
Your final comment is reassuring. I have been hurt and have at times thought that I have been wasting my time trying to convince those whose upset is so extreme that they have used this forum to denigrate CH at every opportunity. Like you I can see that for SOME this forum has been cathartic, but I have my doubts about the motivations of a few.
Might I recommend that someone contacts the Senior Leadership Team directly or the school's DSL to see if present protocols can be placed in a document in this forum. It will placate some and enlighten others.
Best wishes.
I don't think you're wasting your time; it's genuinely reassuring to know that things are different both at CH and in other organisations. Of course there is no place for complacency but I don't feel like that's the case.

The issue I have is the way the school has engaged with the OB community both collectively and personally. Having reported a serious safeguarding issue, it was disappointing to get no more than a stock response and then no follow up whatsoever. It's clear that there is still more that the school can do to address the way these historic issues are dealt with.

I think its a good suggestion to contact the DSL - I will ask them if they are able to share the policy.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

For those who have not discovered the current CH policies online, here is the link:
https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/inf ... -policies/
Some have been updated quite recently.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

CH Policies On Line.

I am amazed. There must be an entire department devoted to writing increasingly complicated and ever more detailed instructions.

My only other comment (and just to show that I have actually read some of them) concerns the Child Protection and Safety Policy, Appendix M. Part A. Line 1. 15th word. Should be 'principle' not 'principal.' (A common error, but should not be made in a school priding itself on its grammatical excellence).

David :shock:
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

I really am very heartened by these policies.

I couldn't give a fig about the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error.

If those are your priorities then go back to your cave.

I particularly like the policy on Standards of Pupil Behaviour which states that respect for others and their property must be shown and that "borrowing" or "thieving" will not be tolerated.

I like the fact that all pupils have access to a phone to report bullying in confidence. I also like the fact that all parties sit down to discuss what's going on rather than just leaping to punishment. This means that the victim has a much better chance of being reintegrated without fear of retribution.

On standards of dress, I do NOT like the policy of allowing pupils to change into civvies after lessons.

This is a mistake.

Wearing the uniform does not allow for distinguishing between rich and poor, geeks and cool dudes and can be another magnet for bullying.

Yes, we did wear civvies on Leave Days, but that was 3 or 4 times a term, not every day, so much less chance of being stigmatised by your dress sense.

Obviously having comprehensive policies is one thing, ensuring they are applied in a consistent manner is quite another. Hopefully training and improved awareness will ensure this.

Having a job at CH was considered a job for life.

I hope teachers who fall below the standards expected are booted out.

It's clear to me that what went on in the 70s and 80s and then escalated in the 90s, was partly due to the laziness and casual approach of some teachers, and a view that child abuse "was no big deal".

With this framework of policies, I am hopeful that vulnerable youngsters with little or no family support will have a much happier time than some of their predecessors.

However, given there is an allegation as recently as 2014, it's far too early for people to be patting themselves on the back and talking about beacons.

That smacks of complacency, and there is never ever any room for complacency: very dangerous.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 pm I really am very heartened by these policies.

I particularly like the policy on Standards of Pupil Behaviour which states that respect for others and their property must be shown and that "borrowing" or "thieving" will not be tolerated.

I like the fact that all pupils have access to a phone to report bullying in confidence. I also like the fact that all parties sit down to discuss what's going on rather than just leaping to punishment. This means that the victim has a much better chance of being reintegrated without fear of retribution.

On standards of dress, I do NOT like the policy of allowing pupils to change into civvies after lessons.

This is a mistake.

Wearing the uniform does not allow for distinguishing between rich and poor, geeks and cool dudes and can be another magnet for bullying.

Yes, we did wear civvies on Leave Days, but that was 3 or 4 times a term, not every day, so much less chance of being stigmatised by your dress sense.

Obviously having comprehensive policies is one thing, ensuring they are applied in a consistent manner is quite another. Hopefully training and improved awareness will ensure this.

It's clear to me that what went on in the 70s and 80s and then escalated in the 90s, was partly due to the laziness and casual approach of some teachers, and a view that child abuse "was no big deal".

With this framework of policies, I am hopeful that vulnerable youngsters with little or no family support will have a much happier time than some of their predecessors.

However, given there is an allegation as recently as 2014, it's far too early for people to be patting themselves on the back and talking about beacons.

That smacks of complacency, and there is never ever any room for complacency: very dangerous.
CodFlabAndMuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:35 pm I really am very heartened by these policies.

This is a mistake.

I am delighted that you are heartened. I hope that a number of concerns will be addressed by carefully reading these policies. Of course they are a framework and there must be no complacency. I had hoped that my reference to some being updated very recently.might have helped to allay that concern.
I do believe that under the current management things will continue to evolve and that talk of becoming a beacon is realistic.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"I couldn't give a fig about the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error. If those are your priorities then go back to your cave."

I feel very sad that an attempt at lightheartedness is treated with such rudeness. I was only attempting to show that I have actually read them, line by line, even word by word.

CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Foureyes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:16 pm "I couldn't give a fig about the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error. If those are your priorities then go back to your cave."

I feel very sad that an attempt at lightheartedness is treated with such rudeness. I was only attempting to show that I have actually read them, line by line, even word by word.

And was that the best you could come up with?
Golfer
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Golfer »

Foureyes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:39 am CH Policies On Line.

I am amazed. There must be an entire department devoted to writing increasingly complicated and ever more detailed instructions.
Oh yes.
And they are changed in line with ever changing government directions every year. And all staff have to reread them every year. And swear that they have reread them.
Seaman, Newsome, Baker, Hansford, Poulton, Southern & Co. never had to deal with this amount of bureaucracy. It can be stifling. So much endless box ticking and it can get in the way of both education & school leadership - necessary though it may be, given what has happened without it.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I see what you mean, Tim. I suppose that I was taken aback - amazed, even - by being faced with and trying to read the whole lot at once. I am a member of various local NHS committees and while I greatly admire 99 percent of the people working in the NHS I am appalled by the bureaucracy and the vast amount of documentation (both hard copy and on computers) that is generated and which, on pain of sanctions, the staff are required to read and obey. C.H., and, I presume, schools in general seem to be faced with the same problem.
Sadly, my experience is that no matter how many rules you have, and how tightly the instructions are framed, there will always be someone who breaks them.
CodFlabAndMuck
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by CodFlabAndMuck »

Clearly a balance needs to be drawn and hopefully this is an evolving process.

Delivery is key, and this is dependent upon training and the teachers
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

The training is excellent... very thorough.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I have a lot of confidence in Simon Reid and the policies are very reassuring to read. Managing a school of that size and complexity can be no mean feat. I’m certain that if I visited the school now the difference in the welfare and safety of pupils would be indisputable, however I’m not sure that I will ever feel ready to go back.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:47 pm I have a lot of confidence in Simon Reid and the policies are very reassuring to read. Managing a school of that size and complexity can be no mean feat. I’m certain that if I visited the school now the difference in the welfare and safety of pupils would be indisputable, however I’m not sure that I will ever feel ready to go back.
I really hope that one day you will have the courage and confidence to do so.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Thank you Harry. For the record, despite not always agreeing with you on here I do realise you were one of the good guys.