Roger Martin

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Roger Martin

Post by Mid A 15 »

TMF wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 am
Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 pm Finally I will add briefly my understanding is that the 'spurious circumstances' to which you refer were based on rumour and gossip rather than any hard facts which were known generally.
I would assume that the 'spurious circumstances' described in 2007 were the circumstances described here:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... 50#p142941
However, I distinctly remember you called a house meeting I am guesssing like in 1993, and you explained to us that our Maths teacher Mr *****, was being marched off the because he had tried to lure a boy up into his flat. I was in the unnamed teachers set for maths (set 6 or 5 I believe) so I remember it well.
There is a variable lens being applied to events. Here there was a clear report by the housemaster (Howard) at the time about the sudden departure event (that would have been generally known around the school - quickly), whether a report to the police was made at the time is unclear, (indeed it is even unclear whether a report was made in recent months). In 2007 the event had become gossip about school history (recounted by Great Plum). In 2018, in the context of other events, and other posts here, it seems clear that this teacher should never have been a teacher.

So lots of flexibility in viewpoints depending on one's vantage point, and perhaps missed opportunities for victims to have been spared.
ER McCall left more than 20 years after I did so I claim no knowledge of the detailed circumstances. As I've mentioned elsewhere he (McCall) was a junior housemaster in Mid A when I was there hence my asking the question I did back in 2007 or whenever it was.

As an outsider looking in my opinion, and for the reason stated above it can only be an opinion, is that the Senior Management Team had rather more knowledge than the 'oiks.' Human nature being what it is in the absence of hard fact 'the oiks' speculated and a narrative developed from rumour and gossip.

I have seen similar scenarios, where the detailed circumstances have differed as to the reason for sudden departure, in my own work experience.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Great Plum wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:05 am
Scazza wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 pm
TMF wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm It is interesting to read that 2007 thread. E.g. in addition to discussion of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure, there is mention of Burr - here for example a poster hints at the fact that Burr is not a good guy to have around the house:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... =90#p57190

So these things have been known about and discussed here, or hinted at, for many years.
More concerning, perhaps, is the absence of comment from Great Plum - who made that comment about McCall - or from his father, Howard, who was presumably a teacher at the time.

Omerta, eh @Golfer?
Or that I have other things to do then speculate on a website?
For the record, my post from 11 years ago stands. He left under ‘spurious circumstances’ - there was gossip but I was only 13 at the time and I don’t recount exactly but what others have put here sounds right. I don’t think it right to conduct trial by social media.
Spot on, son.
Succinctly put.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

There is no trial by social media, but we are seeing a variable lens, By mentioning that variable lens there is no judgment passed or intended - it is merely a fact.

Over the passage of time, the actions of the 1990s:
However, I distinctly remember you called a house meeting I am guesssing like in 1993, and you explained to us that our Maths teacher Mr *****, was being marched off the because he had tried to lure a boy up into his flat.
...became the recollections of the 2000s
I think he left (maybe under spurious circumstances) at the end of my 3rd form / LE so 1994/5 I think
...and then the reaction of 2018.

If anyone feels that the comment
So lots of flexibility in viewpoints depending on one's vantage point, and perhaps missed opportunities for victims to have been spared.
...is pejorative - it was not intended to be taken in that way. This was a reflection on the fact that people see things differently and responses understandably depend on the historical context. With the benefit of hindsight many things would be different. But the reason for an interest in the history is the likelihood that lessons can be learned that improve future actions. Obfuscation and shutting down discussion guarantee that no lessons are learned.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

TMF
Please humour me.
What were your years at CH?
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

harryh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:27 pm TMF
Please humour me.
What were your years at CH?
My years were 74-79 - Newsome years - which perhaps colour my views - and we (Howard and I) did not overlap. A significant amount of sadistic bullying, corporal punishment, and likely abuse was occurring during my time. It is quite possible that there were good and bad periods in the dynamics of the school - leading to the different perspectives expressed on the site. I support (and I would suggest that much of this site is already devoted to) openly discussing these topics, not hiding them, and learning the lessons of what happened.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Thank you. I note that you were at CH for.just five years. May I ask if that was from 11-16 or from 13-18?
It is a pity you found that there was a bullying tone to your years there under David Newsome. I found his first (and my last) three years there to have been thankfully free of that element. I thought he was superb. Different perspectives...
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

by Great Plum » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:05 am
Or that I have other things to do then speculate on a website? … etc.
I agree it is futile to trawl through this when there is apparently no complaint from a victim nor any clear recollection of the events from OBs on this forum. However, there was an authoritative statement which said “the authorities are fully aware” so clearly the legitimate question remains: of what are they aware?
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

harryh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:27 pm May I ask if that was from 11-16 or from 13-18?
Closer to the former range, for what it is worth!
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Thank you.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

harryh wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:35 pmThank you.
Five years for me as well Howard, 11 to 16, but I don't see the relevance. As I have said on this site before, I had mapped my future by the age of 15 and was going after O levels, no matter what.

I think the general standard of education was about OK, and I had learnt, thanks to CH, to stand up for myself and not suffer fools gladly and that included one or two of the teaching staff. (Ask Young Plum if he remembers a certain pub not far from CH, some well to do parents and bottles of bubbly on the last day of summer term a few years ago.

An ex OB who went on to become a teacher AND head of year for BOTH my daughter's at secondary school in Dorking, used to have long conversations about this subject right up to his sudden and untimely death. Tim Staples, who I have a feeling, would have been a pupil at Horsham around the time you were.

However, I digress.....
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

I knew Tim, but Jeremy better.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Did he make an appearance and what happened? Does anyone know, please?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

robert totterdell wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 pm Did he make an appearance and what happened? Does anyone know, please?

Who ??
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:02 pm
robert totterdell wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:17 pm Did he make an appearance and what happened? Does anyone know, please?

Who ??
I assume Robert is referring to Roger Martin the original subject of this thread.

If so my understanding is that matters were adjourned until March 2019 when it is envisaged a full Hearing will take place.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm
J.R. wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Who ??
I assume Robert is referring to Roger Martin the original subject of this thread.

If so my understanding is that matters were adjourned until March 2019 when it is envisaged a full Hearing will take place.

Thanks.