Roger Martin

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: Roger Martin

Post by LHA »

Evening Howard,

It would appear to be essential for you to contact the Police regarding your knowledge of the Maths Teacher referred to by Phil. It don't understand any rationale for not doing this. I am sure you would want to ensure an alleged crime is investigated. I have disagreed with a number of your comments on he forum but have no reason to think you would not want alleged crimes investigated and I hope you ensure this occurs here. Obviously it is a matter for you if you report this on the forum or not. People who were pupils at the time can obviously report what they were told by you, but by virtue of being a teacher at the time you will know far more.

We know that the Senior Management Team at the time Poulton, Cairncross and Sillett didn't report crimes to the Police and there is no reason to assume they would have done so on this occasion.

Whether or not the person concerned is dead is irrelevant, this matter will still be of interest to the Police.

Although it would be interesting to know, if anyone does, if he is alive or not. I understand he went to teach somewhere in Africa after his dismissal. I have reported this all to the Police some months ago but Howard you clearly have more information and I do hope you share it directly with the Police.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

RusticationPhil wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:52 pm
However, I distinctly remember you called a house meeting I am guesssing like in 1993, and you explained to us that our Maths teacher Mr *****, was being marched off the because he had tried to lure a boy up into his flat. I was in the unnamed teachers set for maths (set 6 or 5 I believe) so I remember it well. He used to disappear for most of the lesson, he kind of stank, and seemed drunk or hungover a lot.
This was after my time, but I thought I'd register my profound lack of astonishment that McCall turned out to be up to no good. In fact, I'd forgotten what a disgusting human being he was until this thread jogged my memory.
wagenman
3rd Former

Post by wagenman »

RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm 'the incident with Mr McCall'
McCall got booted for luring boys up to his flat in 93? He'd been doing that for at least a decade prior and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. I wonder what changed....
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

wagenman wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm
RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm 'the incident with Mr McCall'
McCall got booted for luring boys up to his flat in 93? He'd been doing that for at least a decade prior and nobody seemed to bat an eyelid. I wonder what changed....
Is it known if the person named above is still alive, or not? Perhaps he deserves his own thread.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

DazedandConfused wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:05 pm
RusticationPhil wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 pm
Legal discalimer: I personally take all and full legal responsibility for naming the perpetrater here. If Mr McCall wants to sue me, I say lets have it, bring it ON!
Is anyone else thinking of the lyrics of the Housey Rap here?
Yup.

“Dobbie and Crud: enough said”
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm
wurzel wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm ok - in that evidence of the totally separate management of the 2 organisations i can see why ex leaders (some of whom left the school under a cloud) could still end up on a scout camp during the holidays and outside the school grounds without any control or input from the school
As foureyes states it is likely that the camp leader was a serving master at CH (as opposed to ex-teacher).
It then comes down to whether he, the leader, knew or had cause to suspect that the ex-teacher left under a cloud. If he did know then he should have refused to allow the suspect to come close to the camp or any scout at any time. Under those circumstances the scoutmaster would be at serious fault if he did not fully protect the scouts.
He's registered on the forum, but hasn't posted for some time.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

jakew wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 pm
sejintenej wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm
wurzel wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm ok - in that evidence of the totally separate management of the 2 organisations i can see why ex leaders (some of whom left the school under a cloud) could still end up on a scout camp during the holidays and outside the school grounds without any control or input from the school
As foureyes states it is likely that the camp leader was a serving master at CH (as opposed to ex-teacher).
It then comes down to whether he, the leader, knew or had cause to suspect that the ex-teacher left under a cloud. If he did know then he should have refused to allow the suspect to come close to the camp or any scout at any time. Under those circumstances the scoutmaster would be at serious fault if he did not fully protect the scouts.
He's registered on the forum, but hasn't posted for some time.
JDS? If the above is true then he too has a case to answer.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

FYI the topic of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure came up on this board in 2007 about 11 years ago:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... ous#p57144
I think he left (maybe under spurious circumstances) at the end of my 3rd form / LE so 1994/5 I think
...possibly leading to further offline (private message) discussion, according to the thread...
Do tell! By PM if more prudent!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

TMF wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm FYI the topic of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure came up on this board in 2007 about 11 years ago:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... ous#p57144
I think he left (maybe under spurious circumstances) at the end of my 3rd form / LE so 1994/5 I think
...possibly leading to further offline (private message) discussion, according to the thread...
Do tell! By PM if more prudent!
As the poster of 'do tell' etc I can confirm that there were no Private Messages received by me of a remotely salacious nature in response.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

It is interesting to read that 2007 thread. E.g. in addition to discussion of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure, there is mention of Burr - here for example a poster hints at the fact that Burr is not a good guy to have around the house:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... =90#p57190
Chris Read, yes, that was his name. Quiet (unlike Burr), but a good guy to have around the house (unli - oops, perhaps not).
So these things have been known about and discussed here, or hinted at, for many years.
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

TMF wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm It is interesting to read that 2007 thread. E.g. in addition to discussion of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure, there is mention of Burr - here for example a poster hints at the fact that Burr is not a good guy to have around the house:

Chris Read, yes, that was his name. Quiet (unlike Burr), but a good guy to have around the house (unli - oops, perhaps not).
So these things have been known about and discussed here, or hinted at, for many years.
More concerning, perhaps, is the absence of comment from Great Plum - who made that comment about McCall - or from his father, Howard, who was presumably a teacher at the time.

Omerta, eh @Golfer?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

TMF wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm It is interesting to read that 2007 thread. E.g. in addition to discussion of McCall's 'spurious circumstances' of departure, there is mention of Burr - here for example a poster hints at the fact that Burr is not a good guy to have around the house:

I venture to suggest as a former pupil of Maine A, although I left as Phil arrived, that you are reading too much into the comment of Phil Underwood that you quote.

Chris Read was a family man but always affable and approachable in the House. At the risk of being branded sexist for this particular description Burr was like a hormonal woman. At times capable of being affable and approachable but equally capable of being petty, spiteful and malicious. There was no real way of knowing 'which Burr' would turn up. That I believe is what Phil is referencing here rather than any hint of the awful events we have subsequently learned of.

Finally I will add briefly my understanding is that the 'spurious circumstances' to which you refer were based on rumour and gossip rather than any hard facts which were known generally.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Mid A 15 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 pm Finally I will add briefly my understanding is that the 'spurious circumstances' to which you refer were based on rumour and gossip rather than any hard facts which were known generally.
I would assume that the 'spurious circumstances' described in 2007 were the circumstances described here:

http://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic.p ... 50#p142941
However, I distinctly remember you called a house meeting I am guesssing like in 1993, and you explained to us that our Maths teacher Mr *****, was being marched off the because he had tried to lure a boy up into his flat. I was in the unnamed teachers set for maths (set 6 or 5 I believe) so I remember it well.
There is a variable lens being applied to events. Here there was a clear report by the housemaster (Howard) at the time about the sudden departure event (that would have been generally known around the school - quickly), whether a report to the police was made at the time is unclear, (indeed it is even unclear whether a report was made in recent months). In 2007 the event had become gossip about school history (recounted by Great Plum). In 2018, in the context of other events, and other posts here, it seems clear that this teacher should never have been a teacher.

So lots of flexibility in viewpoints depending on one's vantage point, and perhaps missed opportunities for victims to have been spared.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

TMF wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 am There is a variable lens being applied to events.
And all this arises from the school / Poulton policy of the time which was to say zilch whenever a teacher suddenly left mid-term, as happened with Husband.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Scazza wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 pm

More concerning, perhaps, is the absence of comment from Great Plum - who made that comment about McCall - or from his father, Howard, who was presumably a teacher at the time.

Omerta, eh @Golfer?
Or that I have other things to do then speculate on a website?
For the record, my post from 11 years ago stands. He left under ‘spurious circumstances’ - there was gossip but I was only 13 at the time and I don’t recount exactly but what others have put here sounds right. I don’t think it right to conduct trial by social media.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99